Hydro70

Heres another prototype tractor and this one is a MF 1150

This picture was taken around the 1966/67 timeframe and its a MF1130 with a Perkins 540c.i. V8 engine and this was at the plant around or close to Detroit.  Glad MF didn't go with those dual mufflers hood mounted, you wouldn't be able to see if they did that.  I think the 1150 came into production in 1969 and was produced up to 1972 when they introduced the 1155 in early 1973

21083062_1662978730399097_9141630184216935307_o.jpg

Dad and grandpa had a 1150. Had the factory cab on it. It was a 1972. Traded a 1966, 1100 on it. They both said the 1100 they had was a good tractor, the 1150 not so much. Nothing big mechanically, just small stuff all the time. 1150 left in the fall of 1976 for a new 1086.

42 minutes ago, 856 Custom said:

Dad and grandpa had a 1150. Had the factory cab on it. It was a 1972. Traded a 1966, 1100 on it. They both said the 1100 they had was a good tractor, the 1150 not so much. Nothing big mechanically, just small stuff all the time. 1150 left in the fall of 1976 for a new 1086.

We had a 1150.  We bought it used in the mid 70s.  It never gave us any problems.  Traded it off for a new JD 4640 in 1979.

3 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

We had a 1150.  We bought it used in the mid 70s.  It never gave us any problems.  Traded it off for a new JD 4640 in 1979.

Your about the only one. Neighbor used his for about a year and then it spent most of its time half tore down.

2 hours ago, 660 driver said:

Your about the only one. Neighbor used his for about a year and then it spent most of its time half tore down.

They liked to snap cranks.

Looks. Like 8n mufflers🚜 👀🤓

MF was fine if you didn't go above 100HP.  Crude, mind you, but fine.

Old fellow in our neighborhood when I was growing up ran a MF 175 with duals coming up out the side of the hood.  It was pretty bad-a for what it was.

8 hours ago, 660 driver said:

I'm not doubting you or calling anybody a liar but the only place I've heard about the 1150 being junk is on this forum. 

53 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I'm not doubting you or calling anybody a liar but the only place I've heard about the 1150 being junk is on this forum. 

There weren't any 1150's around my area but there were at least 4 of 1155's in my immediate area. They had a much better cab than the 66 series IH cab and all I know about them is what one of the owners of one told me. He said he had problems with the transmission on two occasions and when he had the opportunity he traded it off on a JD4640. And he put over 7000 hours on the old 4640 before retiring.  

I have trouble remembering lots of things I should, but somehow I remember an ancient ( '70s ) Farm Journal or Successful Farming article about Herman Warsaw and his world record corn yield.  I believe he farmed around Saybrook, IL, but I could be wrong.

The article had a picture of him with his 1150 and the chisel he worked up the record-breaking ground with.

17 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Ya my dads buddy was massey to the bone. He was a mechanic for them up until the local massey dealer quit selling masseys. Even he said they were very unreliable. Much like IH's 68's. See i even admitted a red tractor had weaknesses! Iirc even the massey diehards over on the bash admitted the the unreliability of the 1150/1155.