tony in ca.

New Tractor Shed Started ,Sept 7,17

MTO by 'extreme' he means it gets cold at night, maybe freeze, and it may touch 50 [ooooohhhhhh] in the day so they have to put a light jacket on...when getting hay equip ready for Mid to Late Feb 1st cut. ;)   Main reason i love going to the Tulare show.  Tee shirt at night watching tractor pulls and tee shirts walking the grounds....in FEB 

5 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

MTO by 'extreme' he means it gets cold at night, maybe freeze, and it may touch 50 [ooooohhhhhh] in the day so they have to put a light jacket on...when getting hay equip ready for Mid to Late Feb 1st cut. ;)   Main reason i love going to the Tulare show.  Tee shirt at night watching tractor pulls and tee shirts walking the grounds....in FEB 

Pretty Much Right.  Don't forget lot of praying for rain also.

But Troy , As we get older we feel more of the cold & the heat .  So it gets tough on us old guys.:huh: Oh ! I forgot need chairs in new shop , perhaps a cot for 30 minute nap.

Tony

Just now, tony in ca. said:

Pretty Much Right.

Tony

lol, if your buddy cant give you grief who can?  Nothing better [or sad] than last Feb in Palm Springs and i go for a ride S and see stacks of fresh 1st cut alfalfa and Knee high silage corn.  Them guys never get a week off farming.  But man it's hot in Aug

4 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

lol, if your buddy cant give you grief who can?  Nothing better [or sad] than last Feb in Palm Springs and i go for a ride S and see stacks of fresh 1st cut alfalfa and Knee high silage corn.  Them guys never get a week off farming.  But man it's hot in Aug

You got that Right Troy ! And I love It.   

Yeah Palm springs is just plain miserable unless you have millions to live there in winter and play golf.  But they do make early green leafy Alfalfa .

Tony

Little more progress 11/7/17

They plan to start roof tomorrow .

Tried to get Ethel & Fred in a good photo op but they would not cooperate. They wrestle  constantly. Ethel is the big one but Fred thinks he's the man ! Both fixed . Fred does not know he is small with Ethel or the big neighbor dogs .lol, they all respect him.:lol: Carol says when she walks him at coast ,he barks at all the big ones and ignores the littles ones.

Tony 

IMG_5424.JPG

IMG_5425.JPG

IMG_5426.JPG

IMG_5427.JPG

IMG_5429.JPG

Roof is on ! as of this evening.

Tony

way to go Tony!!!! start moving tractors and lot of pictures of those beautys 

Pembroke

Finally have a roof , as of today 11/10/17

few pic's

Tony

IMG_5439.JPG

IMG_5440.JPG

IMG_5441.JPG

25 minutes ago, tony in ca. said:

Finally have a roof , as of today 11/10/17

few pic's

Tony

IMG_5439.JPG

IMG_5440.JPG

IMG_5441.JPG

They forgot your overhead trolley hoist package. Looks nice though.

finally               looks nice   whats next doors,wiring?

however 3 days...? for a roof..64 or 128 sheets?

... factory package...factory crew  should have been like dealing cards

do you have some crazy union or cali rules?   1 indian  6 chiefs 3 squaw holding safety net

1 hour ago, mmi said:

finally               looks nice   whats next doors,wiring?

however 3 days...? for a roof..64 or 128 sheets?

... factory package...factory crew  should have been like dealing cards

do you have some crazy union or cali rules?   1 indian  6 chiefs 3 squaw holding safety net

Took Them one and half day . However, they missed a day for a finish up on another job. Crew of four guys none are slackers. Its interesting to watch them work each has his job and they all coordinate with minimal talk & intervals. 

They have three roll ups & two man doors on new building and one roll up cut out and frame on old building & also man door.

The plan is finish building get final inspection , Then pump co. will come in and do electrical ,finishing electrical, builder will come back and finish interior with the lite white sheeting.   Then we have the drive way and dirt work for easy access year round for drainage and minimize mud & dust.

Tony

Man, sure would be nice to build a building like that in NW Indiana.  That low roof would be lying on my toys after the first 12 inch wet snowfall!  I envy not having snow, not worrying about antifreeze, and shallow water lines!

jerry

Yeah ,  Like I have said before Never done snow and THEY WOULD PROBABLY FIND ME BURIED IN IT THE FIRST MONTH I LIVED IN IT.:o

I worry a lot about Antifreeze both for freezing and engine maintenance.  I saw the big engine crack on Dad's  new 55W hay baler back in 56 I was 11 and I have never forgotten, I am anal about anti-freeze. :angry:

Jerry, we all have our crosses to bear;  I DON"T HAVE TO WORRY MUCH ABOUT WHAT YOU MENTIONED . HOWEVER, YOU DON"T HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL OUR BS TO BUILD AND DEAL WITH FIRE DEPARTMENT FOR FIRE PROTECTION AND PAY OUR HIGHER TAXES FOR EVERYTHING.:(

My biggest cross is the Embarrassment of listening to our Governor and His Minions spew stupidity .:huh:

So , Jerry, are we even on CROSSES ? with our Governor perhaps I may have more.:lol:

Tony 

6 hours ago, SMOKER 1 said:

Man, sure would be nice to build a building like that in NW Indiana.  That low roof would be lying on my toys after the first 12 inch wet snowfall!  I envy not having snow, not worrying about antifreeze, and shallow water lines!

jerry

I see those roofs out here but very little wet snow, but I think the beams are closer my new barn is 24 foot centers on the main beams with bci. Enenereered beams) on 16 centers.... Handled our winters. In its previous life... Its a 1.5 12 pitch....

Tons of those flat buildings here to handle snow loads pretty well. We have more problems with 40 year old roof trusses with 4/12 pitch giving way. Winter of 2008/9 was the worst every building needed roof shoveled off . Wet snow froze onto steel then more piled on top caused lots of roofs to collapse. Or the other worry is now if big wind comes up with the mega size buildings are getting built. The roof trusses on wide and tall buildings act like wings or something wind will pick an uncovered roof right off building. They all chain roofs to fork lifts and their trailer trucks parked inside at night until building is finished.

Tony that looks great, are you planning a house warming party for the red/gold ladies?  

We see steel buildings in different parts of the state here with differing snow loads, they may change the red iron and beef them up but more often they change the spacing of the purloins or stiffen the purloins and even the sheet metal.  We go from a low of 20 pounds a square foot to something crazy like 200 pounds a square foot in Valdez. Check out Norclad span tables for some interesting numbers

6 hours ago, tony in ca. said:

Yeah ,  Like I have said before Never done snow and THEY WOULD PROBABLY FIND ME BURIED IN IT THE FIRST MONTH I LIVED IN IT.:o

I worry a lot about Antifreeze both for freezing and engine maintenance.  I saw the big engine crack on Dad's  new 55W hay baler back in 56 I was 11 and I have never forgotten, I am anal about anti-freeze. :angry:

Jerry, we all have our crosses to bear;  I DON"T HAVE TO WORRY MUCH ABOUT WHAT YOU MENTIONED . HOWEVER, YOU DON"T HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL OUR BS TO BUILD AND DEAL WITH FIRE DEPARTMENT FOR FIRE PROTECTION AND PAY OUR HIGHER TAXES FOR EVERYTHING.:(

My biggest cross is the Embarrassment of listening to our Governor and His Minions spew stupidity .:huh:

So , Jerry, are we even on CROSSES ? with our Governor perhaps I may have more.:lol:

Tony 

even!

Getting very close to being done.

Just need three man doors and all the trim for old shop new door.

Predicting rain tomorrow and guys finished out side , Gutters etc.

JFYI , Cal Fire requires building 20 feet apart  and Cal Fire requires water source in case of fire . In my case this irrigating pump yields more then they require so they let me use it as fire suppression in an emergency. 

Hopefully , My intentions are to gravel the area between buildings and park working equipment  there and eventually if fertilized & watered properly, I expect the roof to grow over that area little by little .

Power will come a little later.

Update pic's

Tony

IMG_5444.JPG

IMG_5445.JPG

IMG_5446.JPG

IMG_5447.JPG

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:53 AM, AKwelder said:

Tony that looks great, are you planning a house warming party for the red/gold ladies?  

We see steel buildings in different parts of the state here with differing snow loads, they may change the red iron and beef them up but more often they change the spacing of the purloins or stiffen the purloins and even the sheet metal.  We go from a low of 20 pounds a square foot to something crazy like 200 pounds a square foot in Valdez. Check out Norclad span tables for some interesting numbers

I am thinking I should have a barn raising BBQ and party sometime next fall , When all is done and invite anyone interested in a Few old Red Girls , to attend.

Tony

7 hours ago, tony in ca. said:

I am thinking I should have a barn raising BBQ and party sometime next fall , When all is done and invite anyone interested in a Few old Red Girls , to attend.

Tony

Are you going to tractor square dance with all of the narrow fronts?

Tony: Looking good. I've never been to CA. May be a good excuse to make it next fall.  Thanks for the pics.

Pembroke

11 hours ago, tony in ca. said:

Tony

That sounds like fun, keep us posted

lookin good

here that building  would cost $75-85 K with factory/union labor  

tax  would start at $150K value and if 1/3 larger and or actual business conducted, tax would start at $1K month with average $6K mo roughly   $3 sq ft + land at $30K ac

Jerry, we all have our crosses to bear;  I DON"T HAVE TO WORRY MUCH ABOUT WHAT YOU MENTIONED . HOWEVER, YOU DON"T HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL OUR BS TO BUILD AND DEAL WITH FIRE DEPARTMENT FOR FIRE PROTECTION AND PAY OUR HIGHER TAXES FOR EVERYTHING.

also  one local area had such a FM  ,  would find problems with the dirt work and make months delays, unless lunch pail was extra tasty 

IIRC some nice boys from LV  told him it was a good time for retirement. which was short.

WHen fire/type work is required it is about nine weeks + out and  done with few options not connected/ based in LV /chicago,we would schedule little or no other work to defray reason's for work stoppage.