Sign in to follow this  
Hydro70

Anybody ever put a TurboII aircleaner on a 66 like this tractors has

SDman    0

We are still putting precleaners on new tractors. CaseIH offers kits to install Donaldson's Top Spin precleaner system on Tier IVA and B Magnums and Steigers since we have had so many problems with air cleaners plugging on them in short hours. We've had some 550/600s that will plug air filter 2/3 times a day in the right conditions. We installed Turbo II kits on ours as this was before CaseIH recommended the Donaldson kits. After they were installed, the air cleaner problem went away.

IMG_0728.JPG

TroyDairy    0
40 minutes ago, SDman said:

We are still putting precleaners on new tractors. CaseIH offers kits to install Donaldson's Top Spin precleaner system on Tier IVA and B Magnums and Steigers since we have had so many problems with air cleaners plugging on them in short hours. We've had some 550/600s that will plug air filter 2/3 times a day in the right conditions. We installed Turbo II kits on ours as this was before CaseIH recommended the Donaldson kits. After they were installed, the air cleaner problem went away.

IMG_0728.JPG

Nice.  Like them or not they work.  And in some conditions they are necessary.  In the 80s with Mt St Helens ash anything with a engine had a precleaner type thing on it inland.  Only way to keep them running uncle said.  Too bad a new tractor needs to be modified to work right. 

Bleedinred    0

This set up is someone else's fix for the dusty conditions out here in the Palouse. I'm going to go back under the hood and not use the precleaner cup if I can. I bought an 856 housing and pipes but found out the early 856's used the same single stage set up as the 806's. I might be able to fit this Donaldson under there. Dad put a Turbo on his 856 and was pretty happy with it. Back in the day just about every combine in our area had a Turbo precleaner. DSC_0158.thumb.JPG.644a9b12d91a0f0d8723a79bd8a94b13.JPG

SDman    0
1 minute ago, TroyDairy said:

Nice.  Like them or not they work.  And in aome conditions they are necessary.  In the 80 witb mt st Helens ash anything with a engine had a precleaner type thing on it.  Only way to keep running uncle said.  Too bad a new tractor needs to be modified to work right. 

TD, back in the 1970s/80s many 4wd tractors around here had precleaners-regardless of make or model. At that time many guys still had summer fallow so those tractors worked in fine dust for hours on end. Like you say-they worked. I could imagine working in volcanic ash they would make quite a difference.

As far as newer machines, its funny how some different models have had air cleaner/aspiration problems through the years once they are in production. The first 2388s had a terrible problem with the spiral precleaner and 2 small aspirators on the original design. They fixed them by using a piece of plastic ductwork that sucked air out of the radiator housing after the air went through the rotary screen. I know some on here would argue that wasn't the best design, but if everything in that system is working properly, its still better than what they had.

Another product that ran into troubles was the late-model 70/8010s and the 71/81/9120 series combines. At first, they felt the problem was the aspirator in the muffler wasn't doing its job. Replacing mufflers helped in some instances, but they still had problems-especially the 9120s. At the end of 20 series combine production, they finally came out with a redesigned aspirator system that was much more powerful at getting rid of the big stuff in the intake air. Once that system was installed, the air cleaner problem mostly went away.

On the Tier IV machines, I think some of the problem can be blamed on the emissions equipment. We are fighting 2 problems: emissionized engines need more air, and our exhaust system gets restricted by all the crap we have to put on it for emissions. In the case of Tier IVb machines, we have 3 restrictions to our exhaust; the exhaust flap right behind the turbocharger, the DOC catalyst, and the SCR catalyst. In addition, on the combines the aspirator pipe is probably 10-12' long, so the material has to travel a long time to get to the muffler/exhaust pipe. Its not unusual to see that aspirator pipe get plugged in its long run from the air cleaner to the exhaust pipe.

pete23    0
3 hours ago, Bleedinred said:

This set up is someone else's fix for the dusty conditions out here in the Palouse. I'm going to go back under the hood and not use the precleaner cup if I can. I bought an 856 housing and pipes but found out the early 856's used the same single stage set up as the 806's. I might be able to fit this Donaldson under there. Dad put a Turbo on his 856 and was pretty happy with it. Back in the day just about every combine in our area had a Turbo precleaner. DSC_0158.thumb.JPG.644a9b12d91a0f0d8723a79bd8a94b13.JPG

I put a lot of 856 air cleaners on 806 tractors.  As far as single air cleaner element on 856, that was only on the custom and not other early or late 856. We   sold just one custom and sure enough, guy beat up air cleaner and dusted the engine down good.