Sign in to follow this  
Hydro70

Anybody ever put a TurboII aircleaner on a 66 like this tractors has

Hydro70    0

Is there much work or PITA work required to add one of these aircleaners on ya tractor, they got to be better for ya tractor than having it stuck underneath the hood

1466.png

SMiller    0

Used to be Turbo II air cleaners on every tractor in the Midwest back in the day.

I wouldn't cut a hole in the hood to install a air cleaner.

had one on a 1086. made aworld of difference in air cleaner maintenance. just a clean hole with a hole saw

660 driver    0

Yep pretty sure grandpas 4020 has one on it to go along with its m&w turbo.

bitty    0

We put one on our 8960 JD . We went from air cleaner lasting less than a week to yearly change was fine. Dusty roads hauling manaur tank was hard on the air cleaner

TroyDairy    0

Our chopper guy has 2 on his 900 Claas.  Said it saves a lot of money since its over $200 for filters.

Inland after St Helens I recall seeing MUCH bigger units on tractors and cars even to filter out the ash.  Thats on looks kinda nice imo.

bitty    0
3 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Our chopper guy has 2 on his 900 Claas.  Said it saves a lot of money since its over $200 for filters.

Inland after St Helens I recall seeing MUCH bigger units on tractors and cars even to filter out the ash.  Thats on looks kinda nice imo.

We have one we installed on our 870 Claas. I think it's a kleanair ? I have to look. Instead of rustable metal it's all aluminum and stainless steel construction.

Definitely helps with filters, more so on newer emissions engines that take up to three times the air for the same horsepower produced than previous engine used on the same equipment

ih crazy    0
7 hours ago, dumbfarmer said:

I took one off a 1066 I'll give ya

I took one off our 1486, I never liked how it looked on there.

DOCTOR EVIL    0

I thought later production 86-series had an "Aspirated air cleaner" which is exactly what those Turbo-II's were.  If not "standard", it was a typically ordered option.

SMiller    0
1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I thought later production 86-series had an "Aspirated air cleaner" which is exactly what those Turbo-II's were.  If not "standard", it was a typically ordered option.

They came standard on the late model '86 series with the curved stack.

Although the late '86's used the pipe between the exhaust and air cleaner to pull the dirt out of the air but same concept.

DOCTOR EVIL    0
1 hour ago, SMiller said:

They came standard on the late model '86 series with the curved stack.

Although the late '86's used the pipe between the exhaust and air cleaner to pull the dirt out of the air but same concept.

Yes,  it was all under the hood as opposed to being way up at the top of the muffler and air intake.

Combines had it long before it was available on tractors didn't they?

hagan    0

I had a R & W pre aspirator pre cleaner on my 1066 and 1086. Be sure to just cut a round hole in the hood as that is what i did on my 1066 but the 1086 the dealer installed it and they used the drawing and cut clear to the bend and it made the hood a lot weaker. Years later when i quit using the 1086 on the hay wagon the hood broke and i removed  the pre cleaner as it was not used in as much dirt as before.

pete23    0

I might be alone here but I think it is hard to beat the original precleaner baffle under the hood.  If you are having premature filter ACTUAL restrictions, you might want to check to see that the baffle is actually sealing all the way around the sides and top edge. Caulking works good to seal them.   Sooooooooooooo many air cleaners are taken out and banged around to get the dirt out when they aren't even close to restricting the air flow.  IH went through great pains to come up with a  simple  precleaner and it works.  Does the restriction indicator on the dash work and actually show restriction.  Remember, a dry air filter keeps on filtering even finer when it starts to get dirty unlike the oil bath that start letting dirt work it's way through.   Very seldom see a dusted engine with that dual air cleaner set up where is was common on the older tractors and when you so see it the normal cause is from hoses between air cleaner and engine.  

The exhaust aspirator extends the filter life even more on the higher horse power turbo charged engines.   

4 hours ago, pete23 said:

Sooooooooooooo many air cleaners are taken out and banged around to get the dirt out when they aren't even close to restricting the air flow.  IH went through great pains to come up with a  simple  precleaner and it works. 

That's why they didn't have an access panel for the air filter on the 66 and later tractors. People were taking them out too often and hitting them on tires to clean them.

I have 2 tractors with those precleaners on them (966 and 1066)and would take them off if they didn't have a hole in the hood to patch. 

bitty    0

Our 870 Claas has an asperated air cleaner and we still benefitted from the additional pre cleaner 

rsscott    0

Some axx hole put one of those on the Black Stripe 1066 I bought a few years ago.  Screwed up a perfect hood and center rib putting it on.  Looks like crap.  Ruined the sheet metal. I cant tell one bit of difference in maintenance.  If someone is  too lazy to change the air filter and oil in your tractor, you probably should not own one.

R190    0

They do a lot to extend filter life I had a customer who would operate in what I will admit is extremely dusty condition and his 1466 would be smoking excessively in 2 days if he did not clean the air filter afterwards he could go about a week. It saved him a lot of money and I believe wear on the engine. The baffle is really effective for a lot of operations but  I would install one right away if I was operating in tough conditions it may not look original but they work . It only took IH another 7 years or so to make an aspirated air cleaner optional much less standard equip. They sold a lot of extra filters in that time. Depending  on your use you may not see much difference but it will do more for the tractor than a chrome stack will.

pete23    0

Anybody remember the original baffle the 7 and 806 came out with.  Up in the dirtiest corner of the whole front end. Just a little piece of tin that let all the air supply to engine go in largely unaffected by the air blast of fan.   Early filter plugging was a problem and we only had single filter.   IH sent out a bulletin where the improved baffle could be installed and I put on many. BUT, they sent a SKINNY too short piece of weather stripping along to seal the top and sides of the baffle.  Well, some didn't fit too well and they still took on a lot of dirt.  Took me a while to figure just calk the darn thing and be done with it.  My brother in law, who could have trouble with anything, could run the whole season then.   That baffle has to seal all the way around top and two sides for maximum efficiency.  Many have air gaps or even bent out of shape.  Of course, a turbo equipped engine uses a lot more air so results will vary.   I also doubt if many actually check the restriction with a water mamometer to see what it actually is.  A little smoked up inner filter can cause a lot of restriction that is blamed onto dirt in the outer filter. 

R190    0

Yes I remember the little baffles I think I still have an update kit in the parts bins from a dealer we bought out all the parts from in the 80s when they closed more than likely Devils Lake.

RKO    0
6 hours ago, rsscott said:

Some axx hole put one of those on the Black Stripe 1066 I bought a few years ago.  Screwed up a perfect hood and center rib putting it on.  Looks like crap.  Ruined the sheet metal. I cant tell one bit of difference in maintenance.  If someone is  too lazy to change the air filter and oil in your tractor, you probably should not own one.

Have them on several tractors and they are worth the money. I have operated in dusty conditions and would have to clean filters twice a day when vac grain.  It has nothing to do with being lazy. It has to do with doing a job a the best way. Think of the time it take to remove and install the hood twice a day. Along with the extra fuel I would burn with a dirty filter and extra wear on engine. 

R190    0

Not near as many comments about IH hacking a big old hole in the hood to hang that big old Donaldson precleaner on the turboed 56 and 06 tractors. They knew the intake system was border line back then. There was an article in REDPOWER years back about daily cleaning the air filters on the experimental 1206s written by a former Hinsdale employee. IH tried to correct it on the 66 series with bigger diameter filters and they tried 2 different brands of filter housings. IF you do not have dusty conditions you probably would not gain much but in real dusty work its either that or put wing nuts on the hood bolts.

pete23    0

I'm glad you guys like them but I still see no need for them.  That fan sucking the air into the front of the radiator and baffle making that dirt turn 90 degrees at full blast to get to the  air cleaner is in my book more efficient than those up in the dirt precleaners.   There was a problem with 06 and 56 series not having large enough hose from pre cleaner to air cleaner but that was addressed on the 66 series.  That  hose was pretty flat and would collapse part way or all the way.  The right size tin can inside of it took care of that.    The ones I  didn't like was the 50 series with the top air flow which worked great in some places but terrible in other applications.