pt756

cost of hauling milk grassland again!

pt756    0

so now grassland after dropping those farms this spring sent us a letter that they are no longer subsidizing hauling after oct 1, the truckers stopped in and wants 63 cents a hundred to haul it to grassland about a 25 to 30 mile haul from our place, we only contribute about 7 thousand pounds every day so he does make stops on smaller farms to get his load full. and they are also deecresing the premiums use to get a good premium for 100,000 and under cell counts and also reduced the volume. its really hard to understand how we can keep over producing, seems like a race to the bottom, well at least here in Wisconsin we are losing almost 2 farms a day never fails to see at least 3 herds a week at the local dairy sale, sometimes I wonder who is left to buy every week. springing heifers at the sale can be brought very reasonable lately. what is really good lately I see 2.85 corn soybeans a little better.

Driver1    0

Sounds like grassland wants only producers who are big enough to haul their own milk.

TroyDairy    0

Here we cannot haulour own.  It is  $.43/cwt

brewcrew    0

They raised our rates as well, but I don't recall the price. We are under the minimum so it won't change much from what they had been charging.

ny bill o    0

is grassland a private company? i should hope its not a coop with attitude like that!

pt756    0

they are probably the biggest butter producer they claim around. so with our 200 thousand plus a month we now can shell out over 12oo dollars to haul milk.

656hydro    0

Aren't they investing in a new 5000 herd facility near them? Sounds like they will get rid of all you small guys and haul from the new producer. If that's the case they will need cows to milk. Must have to buy up all the small guys that get the boot.

KeithFink    0

Yeah, trucking milk........when our former co-op (Swiss Valley Farms) was merged/absorbed by Prairie Farms last April 1st, we also lost our trucking subsidy. Now our rates have more-than-doubled. We are paying $.90/cwt plus an $11.00 stop charge just to have the milk truck pull into the driveway every other day. We milk between 40 and 50 Jerseys at any given time, so our volumes aren't huge, but that is  a big percentage of our check going to trucking.

Very discouraging business somedays. As soon as you find a new way to work harder and become more efficient, someone is there to take your reward:-)

In other areas of comparison I guess Prairie Farms _might_ pay just a wee bit more than Swiss Valley did. Just got the check today for August milk and it looks to be $21.88 cwt (Before trucking - LOL) They at least offer the chance to earn a nice quality premium. And I hear that their year-end dividend has always been very nice. 

Keith-

660 driver    0

I think one of the reasons we are seeing this is the cost of fuel and government emissions demands. It just plain costs more to run trucks nowadays. Its really sad to see the small farm being pushed out of the market. Theres gotta be a better way!

iowaboy1965    0
59 minutes ago, 660 driver said:

I think one of the reasons we are seeing this is the cost of fuel and government emissions demands. It just plain costs more to run trucks nowadays. Its really sad to see the small farm being pushed out of the market. Theres gotta be a better way!

Start your own dairy?

660 driver    0
2 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Start your own dairy?

It would have to be multiple small farms banding together and forming another cooperative. Would be very tough though. Would have to give people a reason to stop buying other milk and start buying yours. 

iowaboy1965    0
18 minutes ago, 660 driver said:

It would have to be multiple small farms banding together and forming another cooperative. Would be very tough though. Would have to give people a reason to stop buying other milk and start buying yours. 

Ya kinda what i meant....a milk coop if you will. Depends on your area. In some places i have read of independent dairy proceesors making a go of it, would have to have a big enough crowd that was into the idea of buying right from the producer/organic maybe.

660 driver    0
2 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Ya kinda what i meant....a milk coop if you will. Depends on your area. In some places i have read of independent dairy proceesors making a go of it, would have to have a big enough crowd that was into the idea of buying right from the producer/organic maybe.

Agreed. Problem is going organic takes years after youve farmed conventionally and your returns are.horrible to non existant for awhile from what ive heard.

iowaboy1965    0

Ya that would make it rough....could empathise the local farmer / no un needed hormones or meds concept more than organic until could transition to full organic.

pt756    0

also there was one place left to take the bgh milk now a year later they were an ampi plant they are going to stop taking bgh at the end of the year.

farmall666    0

MUST BE MONEY IN IT EVERY HAULER AROUND MY AREA HAS A SHINEY NEW TRUCK..LOTS OF LIGHTS AND CHROME....

4 hours ago, farmall666 said:

MUST BE MONEY IN IT EVERY HAULER AROUND MY AREA HAS A SHINEY NEW TRUCK..LOTS OF LIGHTS AND CHROME....

Ones that hauled out of here years ago had rolling junk.........I don't even see milk trucks anymore where I am, not sure what they look like now.

R190    0

A lot of nice looking rigs around here but I would bet they average close to 10 years old most are very well maintained you VERY seldom see one on a hook and with 4 plants within 20 miles you see a lot of them running every which way.

660 driver    0
3 hours ago, R190 said:

A lot of nice looking rigs around here but I would bet they average close to 10 years old most are very well maintained you VERY seldom see one on a hook and with 4 plants within 20 miles you see a lot of them running every which way.

Every time they unload they spray down at least the frame and suspension so corrosion is always at a minimum on milk trucks.

pt756    0

well we solved the hauling problem we quit and went to a plant near Marshfield wis. 3 brothers run it and one of them drives truck. they have their own trucking company in house and all I asked for was not to be dropped a year from now like what happened this spring around here. actually heard a couple plants are looking for milk, just could not see paying that 63 cents a hundred. I know that that is what it  probably costs in reality, first time in my life we ever quit a milk plant. contrary to what milk trucker was saying nobody is taking on any new milk. they do have very good cheese curds also and di say they are developing new cheeses, and besides when we compared the last 3 months they were about 40 50 cents over grassland.

iowaboy1965    0

Good deal hope it works out well for you!

pt756    0

another factory stopped in foremost farms a coop, they also were interested and would take us they like close farms and quality milk 15 cents a hundred or 15 dollars a stop, and decent quality premiums but not much for volume till you get a load. guess if they left the truck here a week we could get a load then.