Hydro70

Neat old Oliver prototype tractor pictures

Hydro70    0

I would say there is not a person on this forum that hasn't been on a Oliver at least once in there life.  There use to be a Oliver dealer about 20 miles from here and he did real well and sold a lot of tractors, at one time you couldn't drive through that area without seeing a Oliver in the field, remember seeing lots of 1650s and 1750s and later on the White tractors were sold from his dealership.  My Mom and Dad got married in 1950 and my Dad tried to make it farming for about three years but just couldn't make the kind of money he needed to make so they moved to Louisville but returned in 1975 when we bought our IHC dealership but he bought a brand new Oliver 66 and a new baler and custom baled for people.  I just saw these prototype photos and Im into anything brand tractor if its got a pic of a prototype so I thought Id make a topic of it and that experimental 4-225 has a Cummins engine in it.

experimental 4-225 with Cummins engine.png

another Field Boss prototype.png

Oliver prototype tractor.png

prototypes of White Olivers.png

Cattech    0

I've always thought the MFWD Oliver's like that last pic were one of the toughest looking tractors ever built.

Reichow7120    0

I have to admit that I have never been on  a Oliver or a White. There were a number around the area but never was on one. There was a dealer about 13 miles from where we lived. 

The older I get the more I respect the tractors with meadow green paint.

The first photo I can't read very well...is that White prototype a model 4-325?

Injpumped    0
33 minutes ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

The older I get the more I respect the tractors with meadow green paint.

The first photo I can't read very well...is that White prototype a model 4-325?

I think it is. There was reportedly 4 of them built. It is basically a 4-270 but instead of a 3306 Cat, they put the 3406 Cat in them. They are still around so I've heard.

jordi 1455    0

On the facebook Page of the Floyd county museum is a lot of oliver prototype stuff

like this pic of a white 120 prototype

10527422_733661386693254_709554708345394

Big Bud guy    0

I've never operated a Oliver, White, or MM.  There are places on our farm were the nose of those white 4x4s would almost hit the ground crossing a sharp coulee or washout.

rcb    0

Didn't see many olivers in my year, but they were certainly around. Neighbor has a gas one. I really like the 77s. Had a good look to them.

A little while back someone had a photo of a mfwd oliver from a show. It looked tough! Neat tractors. Thanks for sharing.

DOCTOR EVIL    0

Township Road Commissioner got rid of the pos JD R diesel Dad sold his predecessor, they knocked the weak pto out of it every year, three times in 3 years, we never attached Anything to the pto, just ran it to get hydraulics, they  replaced it with a 770 Oliver diesel.  The 13-14 mph road gear was too slow, but faster than the 11 mph of the R  the whine in the transmission on the 770 was deafening but not as bad as the R was overall.  But the 770 did everything we needed, ran the rototiller to chew up scarified dirt roads and pulled the road drag.  Guy who was Best Man at my wedding,  His Dad had a couple Olivers, 1650, 1850,  both gasoline, 1755 diesel. The 1755 and 1850 weren't quite a 4020 but really really close.  Had a 4-150 I think it was White, may have been 4-180, ran it for a week,  most of time pulling 14 ft disk stirring up drowned out spots in corn fields to plant soybeans.  Lots of twists and turns.  Then one afternoon we hooked it to a 7-14 semi-mounted White plow and I turned under some pasture they had. When I started the second round the dead furrow was FULL of water,  but I had plenty of traction.  Ground was a mix of sand and peat, mostly sand.  Day after I plowed it I disked it and my Buddy planted it in beans.  But I had to learn to stop jerking the steering wheel, But It was a good tractor, transmission beat the heck out of the 8440 Deere's Quad-Range, and the 3208 pulled better at less than 1500 rpm than the Deere did too.  That's sad when a V-8 makes more low end torque than a 6.  The 2470 Case was the 4WD I liked the best, solid non-articulating frame, smooth ride, lots of big windows in the cab, plenty of torque, if the tach read over 500 rpm it would pull it.  It was turned up to 220 hp, about the same as the 8440. White was stock.

Meadow Green wouldn't be my first choice in a tractor,  Maybe a White, they were cheap HP, But the Over-Under Hydraul Drive seemed bullet-proof and no coasting downhill like the old TA's.

Injpumped    0

over/unders do coast in under drive.

ST-470    0

Had a 1850D years ago, good tractor but an 806 would walk circles around it. Rented a 2-155 one spring, it was a decent tractor too. White made a 4-325 but I think they're very rare.

Did anyone else notice the huge "oak tree" in the middle of the hood on the 4-225? That would've been a pita to look at all day. 

I only remember two farms that had Oliver tractors, one was a mile north of the place I grew up on, and all I can remember of his Oliver tractors was one was a "checkerboard" grille, either a 770 or 880 (maybe an early 1600).

There had to be more Olivers than that in the area, Heller Implement in Dunlap was the dealer, and is still in business as the White dealer.

Ihfan4life    0

Local White/Oliver dealer use to sell the big articulated Whites with huge balloon tires to ski areas for groomers!

That 3rd picture looks like a Ford tractor doesn't it? And that last picture has Massey Ferguson written all over it!

Sid

Ihfan4life    0
3 hours ago, jordi 1455 said:

On the facebook Page of the Floyd county museum is a lot of oliver prototype stuff

like this pic of a white 120 prototype

10527422_733661386693254_709554708345394

What makes this a prototype?

Sid

Bill Hasenkamp from the West Point/Beemer Ne area is a BIG White/Oliver/Cockshutt/Minnie Mo collector and he has a prototype White that was 1 of 2   he actually uses it occasionally to put up hay just to keep it "limber"

Steve C.    0
13 hours ago, Hydro70 said:

Oliver prototype tractor.png

What an uncommon muffler. Goin' for that streamlined look, evidently.

7 hours ago, Steve C. said:

What an uncommon muffler. Goin' for that streamlined look, evidently.

I thought the same thing.  I guess it was designed during the space age.

jordi 1455    0
21 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

What makes this a prototype?

Sid

Here the original post.

oldtanker    0

I climbed on an Oliver at a fair and have operated a White when it was new one time for a couple of hours. That's it. Know a guy who just retired right up to the day he quit farming all he had was Olivers and White for motive power.

Rick

660 driver    0

Grandpa had a 1650 diesel. That thing would need a sniff of ether when it was 90 degrees out. I liked the upper and lower trannys and the over under never failed. Pto clutches and brakes were weak though. Old boss had a 2-135 white and i hated that side console shifting! They shoulda left the shifter on the floor where it worked great.