Sign in to follow this  
Arno_NL

Front wheel weights 6788D M,H etc..

Arno_NL    0

Hi Folks,

From time to time I see on eBay and other US site wheel weights for sale.

The ones in the rear are common.In contrary to the ones in front prices are high and seem to be rare.

I guess most of them where shipped overseas to France it's rare when you see a IH tractor without 6788-D wheel weights.

Was there in US no use for them due to equipment that was used in US and Farmall H M and so on didn't need weight in front?

That's a reason I can figure out and soil conditions that US is more rocky ground and more traction (?)

I have purchased 2 pair's for around 30 Bucks and seem to be great price and has to do with fact that offer is more than required I can come up to.

Here a few pictures of how many IH tractor's are found in France.

Arno

01 6788D.jpg

02 6788D.jpg

03 6788D.jpg

DirtBoyz07    0

There are a bunch of different versions of the wheel weights , you just need to have the first weight for the wedge lock wheel and then you can add the older weights on . There should be a part number cast into the weight and you can look them up on Case IH parts lookup online to see what tractor they fit .

Danny 

FarmallTom    0

Pretty sure he's talking about front WW's

From what I have seen, they were used much more extensively on the smaller tractors. (A-230, etc)

FT

superih    0

I know that with the older letter series Farmalls we never ran anything mounted on the back due to the fact of no 3 point hitch, thus the front end was never light enough to warrant front weights.  Later on the into the newer series they all have front suitcase weights so again wheel weights were not needed.

DOCTOR EVIL    0

Most implements used on H/M era tractors mounted on the front. Some mounted on the rear but many of those were semi-mounted, had pivoting caster wheels. 

In the mid-1950's with the first Fast Hitch equipped tractors is when fully mounted implemts, plows, disks, planters, cultivators became common and the front wheel weights and front bolster weights really didn't add enough weight.  IH made the front slab weights for the 460/560 but it took time to bolt them on and only so many could be attached. The suitcase weights introduced with the 706/806 really took off in popularity. Every pulling tractor regardless of brand had several racks full, front, middle, and back. Every tractor company created their own suitcase weight but none had the popularity of the IH weights.

Spring of 1965 Dad traded the SM-TA for a 450 gas with Fast Hitch and a 4-14 fully mounted plow. Trying to take off with the plow out of the ground instantly pulled the frt wheels off the ground no matter how gentle you were with the clutch or throttle. Dad cut up the cylinder mount from an old Caswell loader and made a front weight bracket. Bracket alone weighed 75-80 pounds, then he bolted two 140# rear wheel weights to it and made an angle iron base for two 50# scale weights to sit in.  So there was over 450 pounds sitting close to a foot ahead of the grill holding the front end down.  If you tried just a bit you could still get the front wheels off the ground, like letting the TA forward  with the engine above an idle in road gear with the plow raised, or cracking the throttle wide open in 4th gear on a headland.

DWV    0

Seem to be more in areas of US where the A, B ,C and later series of tractors were the most popular.

bitty    0

I have 3 or 4 sets of these. I hope to have on all of the ones I restore especially if fasthitch equipped. I have a Super C , 230, 400 and 450 all with a fasthitch . I only have one set of frame weights for the 400/450 and I have a non correct one on the 230 off of a 340 my brother had. It's missing the slab starter weight

Arno_NL    0
17 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Most implements used on H/M era tractors mounted on the front. Some mounted on the rear but many of those were semi-mounted, had pivoting caster wheels. 

In the mid-1950's with the first Fast Hitch equipped tractors is when fully mounted implemts, plows, disks, planters, cultivators became common and the front wheel weights and front bolster weights really didn't add enough weight.  IH made the front slab weights for the 460/560 but it took time to bolt them on and only so many could be attached. The suitcase weights introduced with the 706/806 really took off in popularity. Every pulling tractor regardless of brand had several racks full, front, middle, and back. Every tractor company created their own suitcase weight but none had the popularity of the IH weights.

Spring of 1965 Dad traded the SM-TA for a 450 gas with Fast Hitch and a 4-14 fully mounted plow. Trying to take off with the plow out of the ground instantly pulled the frt wheels off the ground no matter how gentle you were with the clutch or throttle. Dad cut up the cylinder mount from an old Caswell loader and made a front weight bracket. Bracket alone weighed 75-80 pounds, then he bolted two 140# rear wheel weights to it and made an angle iron base for two 50# scale weights to sit in.  So there was over 450 pounds sitting close to a foot ahead of the grill holding the front end down.  If you tried just a bit you could still get the front wheels off the ground, like letting the TA forward  with the engine above an idle in road gear with the plow raised, or cracking the throttle wide open in 4th gear on a headland.

Hi Dr.Evil,

Great explanation from you.Very likely this should be the case since many French made type IH tractors in France are from small size like A,B and C and carry implements in the hitch so that' s the main reason as you write above.

Thanks and I am always surprised about the people who clarifies simple unexplained things!

A picture of a fully "weighted" IH tractor added and indeed with an hitch for sure.

Arno

04 6788D.jpg