Sign in to follow this  
ZachGrant

5488 Tires

ZachGrant    0

Has anyone run an 18.4 r46 or 480/80r46 on an 88 series?  It seems like at one time on here I had read that someone was able to fit 20.8 r42 and those should be about the same height. 

I currently have dual 14.9 r46 and there just isn't enough meat there to put the power down.  If possible, I would like to avoid buying new rims.

jass1660    0

Rims may be too skinny and make 18.4's too tall. 

bitty    0
25 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Rims may be too skinny and make 18.4's too tall. 

X2. If it would fit with the correct rims it may not because of the skinny ones so that is a gamble IMO

I believe 18.4x46 or 20.8x42 can work but will come very close to rubbing on the fenders.

I don't think you have any choice but to buy new rims, buying rims is cheaper than buying tires.

ZachGrant    0
24 minutes ago, superih said:

Yes, they will fit and yes they fit tight

Thank you! Do you think they will fit on  a 13" rim?

jass1660    0
12 minutes ago, ZachGrant said:

Thank you! Do you think they will fit on  a 13" rim?

Need 16" I think 

ZachGrant    0

Maybe I'll just go with 16.9 r46... although they aren't a very popular size 

bitty    0
17 minutes ago, ZachGrant said:

Maybe I'll just go with 16.9 r46... although they aren't a very popular size 

Where are you located. 

We have bought brand new take off from a dealer( they claimed 95% but they still had the nipples and all the tread writing on them) 20.8r46 Firestone tires on rims for $2,200 a piece. 

Rims are around $1600 , tires are around $1700 each so sometimes deals can be found. We have gotten about 12-16 ( in matched sets of 4) 18-46 ( both Firestone and Michelin) on rims in a range of $1,200-$1,600 each. Rims have been in excellent shape for all of them and 60-90% on all tread depending on what set they were. 

I have seen other places advertising used tires across the country

ZachGrant    0

I'm out in western South Dakota. Not in rowcrop country at all. 18.4x38 is by far the most common tire size here in cattle country. That's what's on 8 of our tractors so my 5488 is the oddball.

20 minutes ago, ZachGrant said:

I'm out in western South Dakota. Not in rowcrop country at all. 18.4x38 is by far the most common tire size here in cattle country. That's what's on 8 of our tractors so my 5488 is the oddball.

If it was me I would just widen the rims you have. I have widened lots over the years, if your not a blacksmith then the local guy can do it I'd bet and way cheaper than new rims.

f30puller    0

Run triples.... 

bitty    0
2 hours ago, f30puller said:

Run triples.... 

Great idea , set of spools and two more tires and rims and problem solved

ZachGrant    0
5 hours ago, f30puller said:

Run triples.... 

I don't think I want my tractor to be wider than the implement it's pulling haha.

I'll look into widening the rims to see what it would cost.

I only gave $6500 for this tractor so I hate to get too much money wrapped up in it just in wheels and tires. If I stumbled across some affordable  42" wheels I would probably just go that way.

DOCTOR EVIL    0
2 hours ago, bitty said:

Great idea , set of spools and two more tires and rims and problem solved

Guy that my buddy used to work with needed wider rims for his pulling tractor. He had a fabrication shop make him two rings of steel and created his own welding positioner and welded the rings in himself with his MIG welder.  He took his kid"s little red wagon and turned it upside-down and set the rim over the tires on the wagon and turned the rim as the welding progressed.  Worked great.

jass1660    0

Check with larger tire dealers. Lots of guys trading in rims and tires on different sizes all the time.