Sign in to follow this  
MTO

1966 BBC 396/427 film

oleman    0

I had a 66 Vette Stingray with the 425 427.  Really couldn't afford it. I came back from Vietnam with down payment money and they put me in the seat.

The biggest issues were the new electronic ignition kept breaking (the all in one ignition came years later) and the battery was so close to the right hand cast-iron header that it got cooked in a cross-country  trip. Least not to forget is the hiding headlamps that, one would hide and the other stay up.

Adjusting the mechanical  lifters was a PITA, to this day I still have the Craftsmen flex-head required to R/R the spark plugs.

Probably my oldest usable tool.

Still have a 454 in a 93 K2500 Suburban, it is not anywhere  near the engine the HP 427 was but it pulls well!

bitty    0

MTO I might have a '66 Impala two door body for you to put an engine in if you need to. :)

We are in the process of trying to get Dad's '65 two door Impala he bought new back on the road , has a 283 power glide..... We are hoping that the frame is close enough to the same from the'66 to use under his '65. 

Ok kind of neat story about it.  Back in about '87 had the motor redone (as a school project) kid who worked for us rebuilt the 283 (just freshened it up).  He came back to work at for us again this past spring and he wants to get it going again. Body's in bad shape but my idea is to recondition the drivetrain and frame then worry about the body . I wish we would have had it running last fall for my parents 50th anniversary as it's what they took on the original. They did stay at the same place as the first honeymoon just not the same transportation

Kevingweq    0

Way cool video MTO ,   My first street legal ride was a 66 Impala 2 door  IH Red  white interior 396 390hp w/4spd Hurst and best of all for

a 17 year old A BIG back seat to------- relax in---   if I knew where it was would buy it back in a beat.

1965Dennis    0

My brother has a 427. I think his is a 1966. It has a different carb and is in a former Super Gas 1979 Camaro. Runs pretty quick because the whole car weighs 2000 without driver. He bought the car May 9, 2010 with intentions of racing but has never had it to a track and probably never will. Previous owner said it was consistent 5.90 in the 1/8.

mikem    0

I think this has been here before----

Still cool........

Enjoy

Mike

DOCTOR EVIL    0

I have to laugh at that Deep Breathing High Performance 396 sucking air in via that single snorkle air cleaner canister.  The little 307 2 bbl in my '70 Nova had the air filter top flipped upside-down to breath all the way around.  Then I put an Edlebrock StreetMaster manifold on it,  ran out of hood clearance, had to run the lid right side up,  engine would cough, sputter, pop above 3000 rpm.  Cut the snorkle off to about an inch long, about tripled the air inlet area, cut another hole and put the longest end of rest of snorkle in the other side.  Engine ran crisp and clean clear over 5000 rpm,  gained about 20-25 mph on top end.

I had a 66 Chevelle with the SS package and a 396/360.

Fun car,  wish I still had it.

gonzo 1066    0

I dont know if anyone else had the valve train issues that I saw in the early porky headed chevys..      But for me it was enough to make me NOT buy one. 

I had a 1965 Impala 396- 325 hp and 68 SS 396, should have krpt one of them but my favorite was my 1970 GTO Ram air 3, got the bobcat kit from Ace Wilson in Royal Oak Mi, it was a runner.

oleman    0
19 hours ago, gonzo 1066 said:

I dont know if anyone else had the valve train issues that I saw in the early porky headed chevys..      But for me it was enough to make me NOT buy one. 

I do know what valve train issues you are referring to.
Only issue I had was the stock GM springs kept breaking, GM came out with a 3 spring nest spring made from smaller wire. Never broke one of those. 

It would also overheat if I got stuck in Los Angeles traffic on a hot day.

The stock air cleaner housing in the Vette as with all the rest of the HP engines was a two plate design and not a snorkle housing like the LP engines had.

I got rid of the 425/427 at 48,000 miles and I never had the heads (the springs were replaced with the head in place by chevy dealer) or pan off the engine. It made many 6,500 RPM shifts and burned up many tires, never had an accident and only one speeding ticket. God looks after fools and babys' and I was a little bit of both.

It's replacement was an 1200D 4X4 and a Bultaco Bandit dirt bike.  Made many trails in the outback of San Diego County for several years.

Takn4aFool    0

bought a 73 Nova rand new, that came with a 307 automatic........a year later it as sportin a 402 BB with a 4 speed, headers, aluminum hi rise intake, dual point distributor, solid lifter LS6 cam, dual line double feed Holly. normal shift RPM was between 8 and 9 grand. i know everyone said anything over 6 grand was certain death for the big block motors. one night i ran it 4 miles in first gear at 9000 rpm and she held together, anything over 9000 RPM and the points would start to float and she would sputter.

gonzo 1066    0

The ElCamio SS396 one of my friends had kept breaking push rods.   3 times it went back to the dealer with a big mess under the covers..   He finally sold it and his troubles were gone.   I do know that any of the real hard running BBC engines have LOTS of braces and heavy parts in the valve train to make them rev. 

farmall666    0

MY DAD SAID THE FIRST V-8 CHEBBYS THE CYLINDERS WOULD WEAR EGG SHAPED. HIS BUDDY OWNED A SALVAGE YARD.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:39 PM, mikem said:

I think this has been here before----

Still cool........

Enjoy

Mike

My first car (same color even).  I was the third owner and she didn't look as good as she did new but was still (credits due to TOJW), faster than greased ligthnin.  Mine was unusual as it was a 3-speed.  Worked out well for me (one less gear to miss).