Mariejennifer

Ih problems

My dad bought this tractor last week. I spent hours trying to identify it. Whoever painted it removed the plate that contains its information. The closest I can find is a 1972 454. But here are where things get strange. It used to be yellow. But when I look up the 2400 series it looks nothing like it. It is the 4 cylinder, 8 forward 4 reverse. The main problem with the tractor is the pto. It worked when we bought it, but when after it was trailered home it no longer works. It is the 2 speed pto, so it has the 2 shafts with different splines. When the tractor is off you can turn it by hand about 1 revolution in either direction. Then it makes a loud clinking noise. When the tractor is running it won't move at all. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_1995.JPG

IMG_1996.JPG

FarmallFan    0

Looks to be a 574 or 674 to me.

Matt Kirsch    0

Casting codes off the engine block and other cast pieces can help identify the tractor. Engine should have a "C-1XX" or "C-2XX" designation on it somewhere, a part number XXXXXXRYY, and a date code XX-YY-Z where X and Y are numbers and Z is a letter.

R190    0

What does't look like the 2400 series? The bare tractor would be what you look at . engine size is about the only way you can tell the 2400 from the 2500. Grille looks European may be?  don't go by the loader that looks like a 2050 loader to me

Kevingweq    0
George 2    0

The loader is a 2050A. So it is not a 354 or 444. Most likely a 454, 464 or 2400 industrial if it is a 3 cyl tractor. If it has 4 cylinders it is a 574 or a 2500 industrial. It also has a homemade grille. The sweptback front axle is the dead giveaway.

Jacka    0

not a 574 ,they have lights in fenders,not in grill,grill is wrong also they have a grate grill like a 66 series tractor.plus fenders do not only not have lights but not the same style..

Pid 1831    0

What size engine is in it?

IIt should say on a machined area of left side of block a series of numbers stamped into casting.

You will see some numbers that end in a D. Such as 239D?

Let us know what these numbers are and we should be able to work out what you may have within a few models

R190    0

As it has a gas engine look for a a stamp on the crankcase  that says on of the following  c157 which equals a 454 ag  - 2400 industrial, c175 equals a 464 ag a later 2400 industrial, C200 equals a574  or 2500 series industrial- there is also a tag on the bell housing that lists the transmission skid unit but I do not have the chart to use that information

Pid 1831    0
25 minutes ago, R190 said:

As it has a gas engine look for a a stamp on the crankcase  that says on of the following  c157 which equals a 454 ag  - 2400 industrial, c175 equals a 464 ag a later 2400 industrial, C200 equals a574  or 2500 series industrial- there is also a tag on the bell housing that lists the transmission skid unit but I do not have the chart to use that information

I forgot about gas engines.

I will admit I have never seen one in person thought and I very much doubt that there are any in the UK.

Btw how do you tell from those pictures that it is a gas engine?

R190    0
Just now, Pid 1831 said:

I forgot about gas engines.

I will admit I have never seen one in person thought and I very much doubt that there are any in the UK.

Btw how do you tell from those pictures that it is a gas engine?

If you look very closely where the loader subframe ends it looks like spark plug wires to me.

Pid 1831    0

I see. Thank you. Once again when you are familiar with something you spot these things. It would never have occurred to me to consider anything other than a diesel engine even though I am quite aware of the gas engine option,  though as I said I have neve r seen one

Rainman    0

Industrial model or municipal entity (state, county, city, township ) could request yellow color. 

R190    0

Its more than likely an early 2400

iowaboy1965    0

Industrials were usually yellow as said. And had 2400- 2500 model#s i believe.

Okay sorry it took me so long the website was down when I tried to post this yesterday. On the frame under where your right foot would be it reads. "399813 R3"

On the engine hand stamped in I think it says "157c112u003974"

Just a little further back it reads "405856 r1. 2-22-T" The letter T = 1972 I believe. 

IMG_2051.JPG

IMG_2056.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

George 2    0

It is a 454 painted yellow or a 2400 industrial. Same tractor. Most likely if originally painted yellow to be a 2400 industrial.

6 minutes ago, George 2 said:

It is a 454 painted yellow or a 2400 industrial. Same tractor. Most likely if originally painted yellow to be a 2400 industrial.

Can a 2400 be a gas 4 cylinder?  

George 2    0

Absolutely. The C157, C175, and C200 are all gasoline 4 cylinder engines. The diesel D179 used in the 454 and 464 were 3 cylinder engines. The diesel D239 used in the 574 and 674 are 4 cylinder engines.

19 minutes ago, George 2 said:

Absolutely. The C157, C175, and C200 are all gasoline 4 cylinder engines. The diesel D179 used in the 454 and 464 were 3 cylinder engines. The diesel D239 used in the 574 and 674 are 4 cylinder engines.

Great!  I really wish they would have put the plate back on after they painted it. Would have saved me a big headache. So now that I'm fairly certain what it is, the pto isn't working. I ordered a shop manual and I'm going to buy a pressure gauge. And recommendations on a brand?  Thank you so much for all your help. This is definitely not my forte.