Sign in to follow this  
augercreek

MACKINAC BRIDGE RIDE

augercreek    0

Any of you all doing the ride this year? Come heck or high water I'm doing it next year!

MCC    0

I've been wanting to do this quite a while now.  Hopefully next year, I'll own a deckover trailer so I can make it happen.

Dan

Brother has taken his 2510 up.

SMOKER 1    0

I did it the first year and was the number 6 tractor across.  Man, what a rush!

jerry

If you are close enough to cross the bridge on an IH, and don't, it's criminal.

If closer, I would be fighting to be #1 over the bridge.

If you haven't done it, put it on your bucket list, and get it done.

augercreek    0

Do you all think many just drive their tractors there? Being I love tractor rides, I'm thinking about it. It's 435 miles from Duluth so it would be a five day journey if all went well, 80+ miles a day. It could be a ride to remember in many ways!

12_Guy    0

A good friend of mine, an older gentleman, had the crossing on his bucket list. He asked me if I would go with him mainly because it was a 9 hour drive. So yesterday he and I along with 1542 other tractors crossed the Mighty Mac! Lots of fun. Lots of waiting. Awesome views. Great experience. He was grinning the whole time! If you go, make sure that the tractor is in good condition especially the throw out bearing. You will need it! He is ready to go again!

Wi Ih    0
2 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

A good friend of mine, an older gentleman, had the crossing on his bucket list. He asked me if I would go with him mainly because it was a 9 hour drive. So yesterday he and I along with 1542 other tractors crossed the Mighty Mac! Lots of fun. Lots of waiting. Awesome views. Great experience. He was grinning the whole time! If you go, make sure that the tractor is in good condition especially the throw out bearing. You will need it! He is ready to go again!

Very nice and thanks for info on my list to do 

Orchard6    0
5 hours ago, augercreek said:

Do you all think many just drive their tractors there? Being I love tractor rides, I'm thinking about it. It's 435 miles from Duluth so it would be a five day journey if all went well, 80+ miles a day. It could be a ride to remember in many ways!

I know there are a few groups that do drive their tractors there. I think they take off from Big Rapids and plan on 2 days to get there. You might win the record though if you drive your tractor all the way from Minnesota! Just remember you'll need to come from the south as the parade starts in Mackinaw and goes north to St. Ignace. I don't think the bridge authorities will let you drive south bound across the bridge to get to the start point!

12_Guy    0

You could probably drive to one of the end point trailer parking areas and con someone into giving you a lift southbound across the bridge to the starting point. 

augercreek    0

Yes I was wondering about coming from the North about problem of crossing to the South end. I'll probably have to rethink this as I wouldn't want to get there without a firm commitment from some one to haul me across. Great pics 12_ GUY!

Nice pics. A buddy from work said his Father went yesterday. Sounds like a fun time. 

Reichow7120    0

We have 3 neighbors that do this every year. 

I know of a couple of guys that drove their tractors 260 miles to get to Mackinac City once. The only problem they had was it was quite rainy on the drive up. 

Delta Dirt    0

Thanks for the pictures 12 Guy.  Looks like all makes were participating------very colorful.

What's the actual distance across the bridge itself???

DD

Reichow7120    0
1 hour ago, Delta Dirt said:

Thanks for the pictures 12 Guy.  Looks like all makes were participating------very colorful.

What's the actual distance across the bridge itself???

DD

5 miles roughly.

12_Guy    0

Yes it is around 5 miles, shore to shore. I think the main span is about 8800 feet. 199 feet above the water to the roadway. The drive was around 10 mi total. 

1965Dennis    0

I like the mix between restored and "from the field" using tractors. I just got good tires on my Oliver so may mark my calendar for 2018. Mine is more field ready and not close to restored. Only newer paint is the hood.

Mike H    0

We didn't see the Friday crossing but got to see the Saturday afternoon tractor parade.

Wife is All geeked up and wants to do it next year

we just happened on to it on a trip to pick up a equipment trailer north of Grandrapids 

its our normal overnight spot and was lucky to get a room saturday night 

so if any body is interested for 2018 :D

Mike

17 minutes ago, Mike H said:

We didn't see the Friday crossing but got to see the Saturday afternoon tractor parade.

Wife is All geeked up and wants to do it next year

we just happened on to it on a trip to pick up a equipment trailer north of Grandrapids 

its our normal overnight spot and was lucky to get a room saturday night 

so if any body is interested for 2018 :D

Mike

I think a Brockway Mountain Drive tractor drive would be fun!

red211    0

Told this before so it's a repete.  My fil built that bridge, He got there and first day walked the fence to top of one of the towers to spin the wire.  Started at ancre pier with 4 iron workers and 5 greenhorns.  1/3 of the way up all the experianced iron workers stopped and wouldn't go up.  fil and the greenhorns kept going to the top.   took 30 minutes I think He said to walk up.  That might include boat ride, not sure.   He worked tower till wire was done, ended up punching out bridge finishing with the railing.  

Mike H    0
On 9/10/2017 at 8:26 PM, Atilathehun99 said:

I think a Brockway Mountain Drive tractor drive would be fun!

Ya that would get the granola riders upset,,, lets do it:P

Mike

DOCTOR EVIL    0

Do they still inspect the tractors before you can cross the bridge?  Still need a chain for a tow if your tractor dies? And a fire extinguisher?

12_Guy    0

I think the club representative is supposed to check out the tractors in his club's group. Yes everyone has to have a chain or strap. And yes one fire extinguisher per ten tractors. I don't think anyone was looking real close. I saw tires that I would never have tried a trip like that with on more than one tractor. I think there were 6-10 that needed a chain.