Sign in to follow this  
ZachGrant

Change PTO or use adapter

ZachGrant    0

The 5488 I just got has a large 1000 pto with an adapter on it to small 1000.  The adapter is bent and I don't have any equipment with large 1000 shaft. Should I buy a new adapter, or convert the tractor to small 1000? Will the small 1000 shaft out of a 5288 swap into my housing, or will I need an entire new housing? IF I need a whole new housing $$$$$, I'm pretty sure I will either buy a new adapter, or have my existing shaft machined down to 1 3/8" and move the drawbar in... Will the quality adapters handle having a PTO pump hung from them? My hydroswing has the pump that hangs on the shaft and it is by no means light.

R190    0

if at all possible stay away from those ****  adapters! I personally would bite the bullet and change out the top shaft I doubt you will find anybody to economically resize the shaft.

SMOKER 1    0

It's big bucks to change the PTO.  Go to any major tractor dealer and get a heavy duty adopter.  DO NOT get a TSC or Farm & Fleet one as they are junk.  I've been running one on my 7130 and NH 8870 for years with no problems doing some pretty hard PTO work.

my 2 cents - jerry

bitty    0

The best adapter we have is a JD one forged steel. Any implement you are running that has small 1000 shaft won't be any stronger than the adapter if you have a quality one.

I have twisted the small 1000 off the 1586 twice in twenty years......

The only thing we run on the adapter is the big square baler and our one TMR mixer

ZachGrant    0
jass1660    0

Paystar5000    0

X2 on the John Deere ones being very good.  Our dealer's are telling us they are no longer available.  Anyone  else been told this? We use them on manure pumps that can work a 180HP tractor with no problems.

jass1660    0

Sloan express shows the good one for $110.

ZachGrant    0

Ok well you have all convinced me, I'm going to pull the existing one off and as long as the actual shaft isn't bent, I'll buy a JD adapter.