Sign in to follow this  
bailey6588

Wheatland 6788 2+2

For anyone interested..... Look up 6788 tractor on tractorhouse, its a model with a swing drawbar and no 3pt arms.... Is it truly a wheatland model??? They only made 347 total so its a rare find as is, let alone if its a special spec one!!! Let me know what you all think!!!! Wheres Eason on this one?? lol

I was just looking at some trucks in Nampa ID online. I'm betting it's all at the same yard. Cool to find a 6788 though.

The term "Wheatland" was used all the way up and into the 5X88 series tractors.  Basically is a swinging drawbar and no 3 point hitch.  Have seen 71 Magnums built this way but I wouldn't know the wording they used.

I learned this off the build sheets that were sent to dealers.

Matt

I seen that a few weeks back and thought it was neat...............I was actually looking for a late 6*88 2+2 but I need 3pt here so that one was out even though it was neat.  

Yeah, there as a 6588 that needed a TA. I have thought about it, but I'm more interested in a 3388 or 6388.

That's the first I ever remember seeing. I knew IH built a few Super 70s that way also.  Neat Tractor.  Eason

It's funny how rare older 3pt hitch tractors are up in the Canadian prairies.  To find a 86, 88 series tractors with a 3pt is almost impossible.  

The term "wheatland" continued on in red CaseIH Steiger tractors in the 9100 series. They built a few 9150s that said "Wheatland Special" right on the cab door in the late 1980s-early 1990s. All they were was a "bareback" tractor(no 3pt. or PTO), that had the same 598 double-reduction planetary axles that the 9170s/80s had-just that the axles were not as wide because the 9150 chassis was narrower. I don't know if they used the "Wheatland" name just to signify that they were not a row-crop tractor(which a 9150 was offeredwith in with bar axles).

I went to Magnum service training in Regina, Saskatchewan a few times when the 71/72/8900 series Magnums were new tractors in the 1990s. We never learned anything about 3pt hitch when we trained there-all their training tractors did not have a 3pt. hitch. You had to go to training in the US(usually in Racine or Memphis) to get training on the Magnum 3pt. hitch.

On 6788s, I've often wondered if IH ever built any with a factory TA delete that would just have the 1st-2nd-3rd gear options only on the speed shift gear lever with no side-to-side shift for the TA.

I fired off an Email to the dealer explaining how I thought it was really rare and that they should advertise it more to get it "sold,saved"!!! Hope somone can get it!

Ran across a 6588 a few years ago on tractor house that was for sale.  I was studying the pictures and it only had one set of numbers on the shifting console cover.  It only showed the 1-4 speeds.  The advertisement never said anything about being TA delete but it was obvious not installed.  

Matt

It is not rare by any means. I would bet that there was not 1 shipped to western Canada with 3 point and I have seen lots of 6x88's for sale out there and is one for sale right now. I bought a 6388 a couple years ago with no hitch and added it to it. You can see in the picture I still had the swinging drawbar because I couldn't find the proper drawbar support however I had everything else installed. I also have a 5088 right now with no hitch from western Canada.

DSCN0498.JPG

DSCN0600.JPG

2 minutes ago, CDN 400 said:

It is not rare by any means. I would bet that there was not 1 shipped to western Canada with 3 point and I have seen lots of 6x88's for sale out there and is one for sale right now. I bought a 6388 a couple years ago with no hitch and added it to it. You can see in the picture I still had the swinging drawbar because I couldn't find the proper drawbar support however I had everything else installed. I also have a 5088 right now with no hitch from western Canada.

DSCN0498.JPG

DSCN0600.JPG

Nice looking tractor,. Do you get along ok with out the rear fuel tank?

Matt

54 minutes ago, IHC5488 said:

Nice looking tractor,. Do you get along ok with out the rear fuel tank?

Matt

Yes no problem the front tank held 90 gallons so it was more than enough. I sold it but kind of wished I didn't.

4 hours ago, CDN 400 said:

DSCN0498.JPG

DSCN0600.JPG

Yeah most Australian ones would have been drawbar only too. My 5088 had no linkage and swinging drawbar. 

On 9/8/2017 at 5:06 PM, 5088downunder said:

Yeah most Australian ones would have been drawbar only too. My 5088 had no linkage and swinging drawbar. 

Why? What is the reason for Not sending 3 points to other countries 

3 hours ago, Rescue11 said:

Most of those countries didn't row crop much.

On 08/09/2017 at 12:47 PM, CDN 400 said:

DSCN0498.JPG

DSCN0600.JPG

I had actually never seen 2+2 with 3pt until I went to a sale down in southern MB along the US border about 7 years ago. I guess they do row cropping down there, but up in my area there's no need for 3pt. Except for snow blowers and other utility stuff. We did buy a 3788 with 3pt a while ago. Was nice for pulling the gooseneck hauling hay, otherwise no need.

On 12/09/2017 at 9:49 PM, Rescue11 said:

Very few tow croppers here especially in the 80's. Mostly all drawbar work. 

My new JD6170 has linkage. 600 hours and I have never used it. I guess I paid a fortune to have it on there. 

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

The 6588 I got was sold new in Canada, has 3pt?

Probably sold here in Ontario, everything here has 3 pt. My 6388 came from western Canada.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:49 AM, Rescue11 said:

why pay for something you were not going to use? They were ordered the way people expected to use them some did have a 3point hitch