SD6788

The holy grail. Everyone chime in.

SD6788    0

Saw this on facebook today.  Can anyone offer more info?  Is this thing still alive somewhere?   This is a great testament to ih and the magnum.  

IMG_0392.PNG

TheIHMan    0

Sure looks like a legit prototype, the front dash is different from both the 88 series and a magnum and the cab itself is more like a magnum cab than a 88 series. Would be interesting to see the inside of it and see if it really has the full powershift.

Sure wish that was in my shed!   after seeing the pics of that other proto 5488 in nebraska with the magnum door and fenders that showed the magnum console with the sts trans I'm thinking they were giong to offer the powershift and the sts transmission as an option.  Thats been said before, I know there were powershift versions ready.  just wish there were pics of the dash.    It's a shame that caseih  has to be so secretive with this stuff from 1985.   Like its any question whos tractor it was.

TroyDairy    0

Its in the Red Tractors book

IHCfarmer    0

No it's not in the red tractor book I have look  through it time and time again looking for that! That's the tractor that should have been in the red tractor book!! It should also be in my shed instead of my 8950! That's how the magnums should look!! It's sweet!! 

Where is everyone's comments on it??

dale560    0
1 hour ago, IHCfarmer said:

No it's not in the red tractor book I have look  through it time and time again looking for that! That's the tractor that should have been in the red tractor book!! It should also be in my shed instead of my 8950! That's how the magnums should look!! It's sweet!! 

Where is everyone's comments on it??

That is Danny talking about it in the Facebook page is it? So they must know of a couple of them.

jass1660    0

I much preferred my Magnums over my 5488.

I'd prefer an IH 466 to the CDC 8.3, and it sure looks sharp, not that magnums dont but the IH looks better imo.  Having that tractor with an 18 speed powershift and a 466DTI would be pretty freakin cool.  I bet it would use less fuel and have better lugging...

FarmallFan    0
3 hours ago, dale560 said:

That is Danny talking about it in the Facebook page is it? So they must know of a couple of them.

Danny made the initial post on Facebook and then it got shared all over. 

dale560    0
1 hour ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

I'd prefer an IH 466 to the CDC 8.3, and it sure looks sharp, not that magnums dont but the IH looks better imo.  Having that tractor with an 18 speed powershift and a 466DTI would be pretty freakin cool.  I bet it would use less fuel and have better lugging...

I am just convinced they hat the new 466/ 530 in the works for this tractor. A 300 hp 530 would have been an awesome package. They were available in agco tractor a couple years later so had to be on the drawing boards 

Pete1468    0

530 with the mechanical pump would have been nice.

SDman    0

Hard to believe the Magnum itself is turning 30 years old. It started making the rounds at all the farm shows in August/September of 1987. I don't even think the strongest of red people could have predicted just how overwhelming the reputation of the Magnum would end up being. Including the STS transmission, the overall design has been the flagship high HP transmission for 3 different companies(IH, CaseIH, and CNH).

One of the regrets of my life was that my Dad never got to see a Magnum. He died in June 1987 after being a life-long IH customer. He would have really been impressed with the overall design. Our IH dealer had been giving us tidbits of information on what the new tractor was going to be; even then the CaseIH reps at the time were describing it as an IH tractor with a Case engine. 

Between the success of the Magnum, the purchase of Steiger, and the continued reputation of the Axial-Flow, CaseIH had a good foundation to build on for survival of the company

dale560    0
1 hour ago, Pete1468 said:

530 with the mechanical pump would have been nice.

They made them not a lot but they are out there. The back bolts would need machining but they would go in. Would not be hard to make an exact copy of the proto type like Danny did but modify the original cab.

Exhaust where it belongs and no stupid case axles. I would take it yesterday quick. Should have marketed it just the way it was.

the original pic has been released by Gregg Montgomery chief IH designer at this time , a few weeks ago