searcyfarms

Need Help Figuring Out What to Do

Matt Kirsch    0

Xwhatever on getting a set of K&M steps for the 706. Lots cheaper than buying a whole other tractor, and I'm betting at 80 your dad is a creature of habit, and won't want to give up driving the 706.

I built a set of K&M clones for the 856 and 756. Best thing I ever did for those tractors.

lance358436    0

Look for a clean nice well taken care of 1086. Put k/m steps on it, put or make sure you get radial tires on back  and bigger tire on front. 11L16.  They made 50,000 ish 1086's  so you can find very nice ones.  You should be able to do this for $15,000.

searcyfarms    0

do the cabs seal up pretty good on a 1086 and are they quiet enough your ears don't ring after being in it most of the day? A/C work good ? Its VERY hot mowing in august in missouri

Delta Dirt    0

Never been in a 2096--------but we own a low hour 2090 (white) CASE.   The 2094 and 2096 are updated versions of the 2090-----I believe the 2096 has a Cummins engine in lieu of the CASE 504.  Big full frame, heavy tractor with 108 pto hp (for 2090)-----2094 and 2096 will be slightly more.   Four speed range, plus 3 speed on go power shift, easyily operated hydraulic clutch-----have to clutch for reverse (reverse only in 1st---3rd power shift).  Large cab, wide door, good A/C----540/1000 pto------tilt hood for easy access to engine.

I am 74-------the previous owner had added one more bottom "grampa" step-----sure helps an old codger like me.  And-----I really probably should install a grab bar.   I find it an easy and comfortable tractor to operate------one reason we bought it (my son is a big fellow himself).   Many will cuss the CASE------but if you can find a low hour one; you can get a lot of tractor for your $$$$$.

That said--------I have never heard but good things about a Magnum;------just more $$$$$.   I would recommend both you and your dad check out whatever you consider.  (I hope I am still operating a tractor when I am 80).

Good luck

DD

bitty    0
7 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

If it all works out OK I would buy this. 

Bulletproof tractors, for what you are looking for their fits the bill best. JD soundgard and anything pre 86 series is hard to get on because it has obstructed pathway to the seat. 

We have 6 Magnums over 10,000 hours, three of them average over 16,000

ky966boy    0

I got 5240 fwd love it but it doesn't ride that good and can rattles good power start anytime had to spend 4000 at 8000 hrs on clutch packs and shift box but thats only trouble i had think a short started that

bitty    0

We have owned 3 maxxum series , two 5140 and a 5130 and as FarmerFixEmUp has mentioned the electric Gremlins show up with those models. With the Magnum you are stepping up to the Cadillac model. My wife and the neighbor who has not driven things like this have been able to get right in and haul silage for us as it's a super simple transmission to operate.

We have bought our Magnums for 79,000 36,000 39,000 34,000 39,000 and 23,000 . They ranged from 560 hours ( year old 8950) to 15,000 hours when we got them  . Our cheapest one was a 7140 needing a little work, all others were ready to go. All of ours are MFD

searcyfarms    0

good morning all - gosh thanks so much for all of the info - it sounds like the 7100 series are the way to go for me, dad, wife - maybe a 7200 if I cant get my 560 sold and Ford GT75 sold before one is available, I have been known to be patient though as we have decided we will likely keep the 706 with the german D in it and wont be in a pinch -  it looks like I can fabricate a better step system for dad with a handle for it like the K&M. The 706 will be fine for garden and 7foot bhog and as a backup should we need it. I am hoping dad will gravitate to the 7100/7200 - I am sure he will ;-) but for smaller jobs he uses the 706 is fine and is used to it. He might want to do more with the 7100 if I happen to leave it sitting in the field with the Batwing or Disk on it and he can just drive up and get in and go for something to do.

As for the 706D I laugh because with the radiator completely covered in the winter dad says the stupid heat never works, I keep trying to tell him he has to get the engine over 1200 to 1500 rpm to generate heat, he lugs it around blading snow or piddling in the fields pushing brush with the loader or bhoggin with a 7 footer - might have to get him an electric heater. The heater works great when I am disking with the 18 foot Kewanee behind it, it runs about 190degress draggin it or spinning the 15foot batwing HA. Dad uses the IH 37 9 foot wheel disk for the garden and disking around the edge of fields - still at 1500rpm tops ( shake my head ) - I ran it once and just for fun had to see how fast I could go I tried it in 2 hi with the TA forward and it would sling dirt like a rotary hoe LOL - I didn't see a need to try 3 Hi.

I cant picture a 7110 with a 9 foot disk behind it, that would be comical.

Question Bitty - or anyone else -  on the 7100s/MFD in general, I am presuming the MFD don't turn as short and u cant stand on a brake like u can on a 2wd when u need to turn sharp?

I know I need to do this occasionally at field ends, when a ditch surprises me in a field if CRP mowing with the batwing or disk behind me or in corners - do the MFD require more backing up and what not?

Like I said the main use for this tractor will be CRP batwing mowing and CRP strip disking/edge disking with the 18footer - neither of which I will do when muddy/wet so don't really need the MFD so the jury is still out on that one.

Thoughts?

The MFD is definitely gonna take a lot more to turn around,  if you dont absolutely need it for your application get one  without it. I have a 7150 mfwd and it doesnt turn very tight compared to the 7120 2wd. One without might be more realistic for your budget too.

jass1660    0

If you don't need it set for 30" rows set them out wider it will turn plenty short.

lance358436    0

25000 and a nice magnum  don't go together. You'll have to go a little higher to get lower hours. Just depends how nice you like your tractors.  

I agree a 7100 series Magnum sounds like a good option for you. I also know you can buy them for $20,000 and less, but they will all have 10,000 plus hours and will not be without fix. A nicer 7120 2wd is going to be a lot more like $35,000. I would not buy a front wheel assist for your needs. You will not like the lack of short turning. The 86 series are quiet, tight, cold and heated and good tractors. A really nice one will run $18,000. Let us know what you get and pictures are a must.:D

bitty    0
57 minutes ago, lance358436 said:

25000 and a nice magnum  don't go together. You'll have to go a little higher to get lower hours. Just depends how nice you like your tractors.  

I would take a high hour Magnum series before a low hour original anything previous for the same money any day.

We just overhauled one of the Magnums that has 16,000 hours and I expect to easily double the hours or more

I have not seen two wheel drive ones that are as cheap as the MFD ones , they always seem to be higher price for some reason. I know there is a lot of you fellow forum members that will say that it's not possible to get reasonable price decent Magnums but we have been having luck with the ones we have bought. We add 600+ hours per year average on the bulk of these and probably about 2,000 hours on the mixer tractor (7140)

We bought one from a JD dealer as a trade in, second was a lease return ( or repo) local custom guy had, one from stitzels, two from Lancaster Parts and Eqpt, one from fraleys consignment sale and one from HTR .

At least two were southern tractors ( had various parts with Texas stickers on them ) and the year old from Hopkinsville Kentucky 

Back to the op questions

They turn ok as long as the front tread is set somewhere around 90" centers. If it doesn't have front weights they probably respond to sliding with the brakes some. I will never be interested in a 2X one unless CHEAP 

searcyfarms    0

I agree one that is nice is probably out of my $$ range BUT, if they are still in good usable shape I can use some elbow grease to spiffy up the cab and clean the dirt out of the corners, put in some new seals, blow out the crusties and mud dobers, spit shine the windows - when I get a minute to post my 560 and GT75 pix on here u will see I like things descent and take care of the things I have. I don't like a gas gauge or light that doesn't work, it gets fixed quickly, I am a little OCD that way. I don't mind a little oil leak but a Valdez spiller is another thing.

IF I could swing a MFD I might go that way and it would definitely be set wide as I don't do any row cropping these days and stability is priceless.

sounds like I personally could GET BY with a 1086 but I likely will not get another tractor in my lifetime so when I get one this will be my last large one.

I think of the long haul I would be better set with a 7100 series for Dad and my wife and myself - I don't think they would do as well in a 1086.

Great perspectives guys, again many thanks

CDN 400    0
2 hours ago, RichardDSalyer said:

Used 1981 5288

Is this tractor too small?  Dealer is reasonably close to Kansas City area.

I don't think he is looking for a project, that tractor needs transmission work. It has no odd gears.

searcyfarms    0

oh boy yea definitely not a project of that scale, I would be overwhelmed with something like that.

Matt Kirsch    0

IMHO best to skip the 5X88 series altogether. Farming wasn't so great during that time so there weren't near as many sold. While not impossible to find, parts are more difficult to come by and some things like the frequently-needed Sentry module are only available used or aftermarket.  They're more collector's items than anything. That's not saying if you're determined enough you can't put one in the field and work it, because you can, but to me the 5X88 series is more for the "hardcore" IH guy.

iowaboy1965    0

Ok question here. Hasnt there been several posts this summer and even recently about shift soleniod problems on some of the models newer than 88 series? I read the posts but dont mean a lot to me as never been around them and we got out in 86 so none in neighborhood when we were farming. Anyway my point is no series is trouble free and older they get more electronic issues will pop up. Kinda why i like idea of 86 series and older, for me at least, yes they have their isuues too but no electronics to add on top of mechanical issues. 

rcb    0
32 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Ok question here. Hasnt there been several posts this summer and even recently about shift soleniod problems on some of the models newer than 88 series? I read the posts but dont mean a lot to me as never been around them and we got out in 86 so none in neighborhood when we were farming. Anyway my point is no series is trouble free and older they get more electronic issues will pop up. Kinda why i like idea of 86 series and older, for me at least, yes they have their isuues too but no electronics to add on top of mechanical issues. 

That's my philosophy too. They all have their issues, but older is easier and cheaper to work on when needed. I don't know anyone around me that buys new that has had maintenance free machines after a few years. The new stuff does have some very nice cabs though.

Jeff-C-IL    0

I agree with all of the above comments about skipping to the newer tractors, and about sticking with 2wd.   More money, but way easier for your dad.   I would not limit yourself to just the CIH, though.   I would seriously consider the competitors to the 7100's, such as the the NH Genesis 8670, the MF midranges, Kubota,  and JD 7000 series.   All have been good tractors with newer controls and cabs.  Just depends on what you can find in good shape and $$$.  I'm a IH guy myself, but when I couldn't find a CIH in the range I was looking for, I ended up buying a JD 7410 locally in excellent shape, and its been a very good tractor, very easy to run and use.    Use it for everything except primary tillage!

searcyfarms    0

well looks like the MFs are few and far between, the 7400s are 10 to 20K higher, the Kubota are hard to come by as well in that size, and the genesis is a lil higher and not very many to pick from so hmmmmm...........thinking I might just build a plywood box with plexiglass winders and mount a window unit in for AC and strap a generator on the side to run the AC, that should take care of it LOL -

good grief all the over seas tractors look great in price, too bad they don't float

Matt Kirsch    0

That's about what you're going to find. More Deeres than anything by far. CaseIH a distant second. New Holland, Massey, Ford all way down in the pack.

If you don't have to have the tractor "right now" you can shop around for the less common brands. They'll be harder to find but cheaper to buy in many cases.