Sign in to follow this  
rcb

mid 50's Cabovers at or under 26k gvwr?

Curious if there were any mid 50's cabovers that were at the 26k gvwr. I saw this pic. It piqued my interest, but I try to stay with sub 26k trucks. If so, what model numbers would they be? Seems like most were heavy duty trucks.

IHC55coe5.jpg

When the CO-190 series appeared in 1954, it offered GVWs of 21,000 to 25,000#.  44,000# on this one indicates a tandem rear axle model.  In 1956, a CO-180 was offered with GVWs of 17,000 thru 23,000.  Not sure how popular this model was or if it lasted until the CO-Loadstar appeared in 1963.  The CO-1600 was heavier with a GVW of 29,000#.  There were no smaller COs.

Thank you for the info. I was having a hard time locating anything. Many of the ones I have seen are heavy trucks like the above.

I don't see anything on the internet about a CO-180 or VCO-180. I assumed there were some small enough to be beer delivery trucks.

I would think so as well. I find loads of the Ford cabovers, but the international seem to be a bit more hit and miss.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 8:27 PM, Howard_P said:

When the CO-190 series appeared in 1954, it offered GVWs of 21,000 to 25,000#.  44,000# on this one indicates a tandem rear axle model.  In 1956, a CO-180 was offered with GVWs of 17,000 thru 23,000.  Not sure how popular this model was or if it lasted until the CO-Loadstar appeared in 1963.  The CO-1600 was heavier with a GVW of 29,000#.  There were no smaller COs.

Howard as a matter of conversation my PL482 price book lists a 1650 cargostar std with a 7500 front and a 15000 rear axle and I thought a local farmer had an earlier 1600that was spected about the same but he couldn't get the gas engine in the new truck

Wasn't there a run of light gvw VCOs that had the 345 v8 in them?

Yes, that 29,000# should be the GCW of a CO-1600.  I thought it seemed heavy for a GVW.  The CO-1600 started at 17,000#.

I wouldn't rule out a special order for an SV-8 in a VCO--it certainly would fit--but it wasn't an advertised option and I've never heard of them.  The RD-372, later the 406, offered as standard in the CO-190 would seem to provide about the same power.

Hi - if you worried about staying under 26000 due to CDL, you can always register a heavier truck at 26k.  that should open up your prospects huge!

I also just said screw it and am going for my CDL, the registration, insurance and road tax is the about the same. this way I may be able to earn some cash on the side driving....

I like that cabover! you should reconsider and go talk to DMV. 

Yeah, I've been considering getting a CDL. From what I understand you still don't have to get the 750k insurance if it's personal use only. I've been looking a lot deeper, that's for sure. For the money it would be too bad to get a single axle tractor with a low boy trailer. To go commercial though... pricey. I'm a designer by trade and do hay on the side. I keep getting offers of more fields, so a larger trailer may be in order. I definitely have been looking hard at a CDL even if just for personal use. Another designer actually just quit a few months back and is a trucker now. Too funny. For myself though I've looked into getting my own authority. I've been crunching numbers. A big step to go that far. But to run equipment for personal use it's not much more expensive and if I want to go pro it'd be a smaller jump.

Also good call on registering at 26k. I called the BMV and they said it's a simple form to drop the GVWR and do just that.

You would most likely have to remove any GVWR tags if the total is over 26,000 to get by with a lower rating. In Minnesota anyway the GVWR is determined by the manufacturer's tag, or if it is missing the actual GVW with the truck loaded. What it is licensed for does not matter to determine if the vehicle is of commercial weight or not.

Possibly so. In Indiana there is a supplementary tag you add on showing the revised GVWR as I understood them. I didn't realize you could actually run a tractor trailor for personal use (outside of farm) without the exceedingly expensive insurance. Now the wife and I are discussing goals and such as it applies to our needs for farm equipment transport and my own desire for cool stuff :)

Hi - did you happen to discover any more details on this? interested in what you find out and do.

thanks