kenmcal    0

Ok sorry its taken so long to get back guys. Crawlernut I think Driggs is about 100 miles or so North of me if you take the scenic route through Wyoming. A little farther if tou take the highway.

North no fuel gauge. But I was wrong it has fuel pressure while it was running I cracked the bleeder on top of the fuel filter housing and there was pressure there.

JamesW  I will try to post a pic of the pump.

Now I have some more questions. I am going to try to post a video of it running on gas. You can see video its not smoking now shortly after the video I  noticed that the bleeders on #3 and#4 was damp it sounded like the injectors was popping and I started to get a lot of white smoke and now its wet stacking really bad. but I'm still not seeing fuel out of the bleeders. So I figured what the **** and I threw the lever in to switch to diesel I got about 4 of 5 puffs of black smoke and it died. I started it back up but ran out of gas. I can't believe that the injectors are popping off with nothing coming out of the open bleeders. I need advice on this one it has me befuddled.

It wont let me post the video so I will put it on Youtube and put the link on.

Ken

0916171857a.jpg

JamesW    0

The 5/16" bolts on either side are not the bleeders. The single one in line with the injection pipe at the bottom of your pic is.... or even just slacken off the pipe joint at the injector.

However that will all be for nothing if you haven't bled step by step from the tank... start at the tank and confirm each step along the way, each joint etc that you have fuel and no air.

Your ijection pump is an IH one, which I am not so familiar with for bleding and confirming the transfer pump is working.... But now we know what it is hopefully someone else with help ya :-)

crawlernut    0

Ken, You may have a fuel pressure gauge on the dash, as there is a crimped piece of tubing coming off the pump where a gauge would be. Looks to be disconnected and crimped over on the end of the tubing.

On the injectors letting fuel into cylinders, could be some rust or debris from the pump or lines is holding the injector open and letting unpressured and therefore unatomized fuel into chamber. This will cause the "slobbering" or wet stacking. Or the rack may not be coming back into the off position, which will push fuel up to the injectors. Jim.

kenmcal    0

Crawlernut Yes the crimped tubing is where the fuel pressure gauge would be hooked up. I cracked that line and I have fuel pressure there. I need to clarify that I had the fuel on trying to bleed the system should have stated that above. I think you maybe on to something with the stuck injector (injectors) it started with a puff of smoke here and there to a steady puff to just rolling white smoke. But it does sound like the injectors are popping. Or maybe some lifters just started rattling. I have the starter in the shop right now (tired of pull starting it) should have it back tomorrow. So whats the best way to check the injectors? This has been a fun project. I think I am going to need some seals in the injector pump it is putting fuel in the pump case. But I want to know it will run on diesel first. Its running pretty good on gas now. Thanks everyone  for all your help you guys are great and this project would not be where it is without you.

kenmcal    0

Oh and by the way thanks for bringing up the rack sticking. I got thinking about it and it was a rookie mistake trying to switch to diesel without knowing if the rack was free could have had a run away really  easy.

Kevingweq    0
20 hours ago, kenmcal said:

have had a run away really  easy.

Runaway diesels are no fun !!!  And will scare the bejesus out of the most grizzled veteran.

Just in case anyone is fooling around trying to get one of these old chunks

of red/yellow/orange/green  diesel running ,  Always have a way to physically and positively shut off the engines air supply  ! !

Be it a piece of wood over the open intake air port , or similar

This conjured up a question in my noodle--  What would happen if a gas start diesel started to runaway and you flipped

it back on gas at high rpm ??

north of 60    0

My thought is the engine would start to decelerate right away, as there is a limited amount of gasoline that can pass through the carburetor ??

Kevingweq    0

But would the diesel still ignite even though compression was lowered ?

kenmcal    0

I would think North's right all you would get out of diesel at low compression is smoke the burning gas mite ignite some of it but as soon as you cut the spark it would shut down. That's my opinion on what would happen. If you could think clearly enough to pull it off before it scattered. I probably would have fallen back on the old philosophy when in doubt run in circles and scream and shout. 

Ken

Ian Beale    0
On 9/20/2017 at 10:41 AM, Kevingweq said:

But would the diesel still ignite even though compression was lowered ?

You can bleed them by opening the diesel throttle when running on petrol.  Lots of white smoke when they start injecting but I've never heard of them igniting it.