Sign in to follow this  
rcb

Stanley bought Craftsman... looking to expand US manufacturing?

rcb    0

So Stanley bought the Craftsman brand. Supposedly they are looking to expand US production. Stanley/black and decker aren't at the top of quality these days so I don't know if I should take their purchase in a positive light. I wonder if they will continue to honor the old warranties.

ihman1468    0

Doesn;t mac tools also own stanley?

rcb    0

Oh really? I didn't know that (if so). I'd really like to see Craftsman return to a good mid-range brand.

BOBSIH856    0
40 minutes ago, ihman1468 said:

Doesn;t mac tools also own stanley?

other way around

1466fan    0

They also bought Waterloo toolboxes

rcb    0

I had heard before that Stanley still makes some decent products... they just don't sell them to Walmart or the like. Black and Decker used to be passable but they've been pretty terrible for the past 10 years or so. At least my experience. I do still have a jig saw that's working but I bet it's 15 years old or older. Sears made a mistake when they started offshoring production. Since most Chinese tools have lifetime warrantees these days, the made in the USA label was a big deal for many... at least for me.

Stanree basically ruined the MAC Tool image.

I think they still make a decent hand tool,  but you have to hunt high and low to find one of their dealers, and for a long time, their truck inventory consisted mostly of knives and non-tool, or non-MAC branded merchandise.

Stanree also owns another 'professional'/industrial tool brand, PROTO.

Proto (tools) Stanley Proto—more commonly known simply as Proto and historically known as Plomb—is an American industrial hand tool company. It is a division of Stanley Black & Decker. The company is credited with creating the first combination wrench in 1933.

hanniedog    0

Going to a auction tomorrow that has a 13 piece S&K set of combo wrenches. Many of the new tools just have a cheap feel in your hand.