B.B.

New Member with a 1486 that needs a lot of TLC and now a 1086

Ya we have way too many for the workload we have as well!

On 8/24/2017 at 0:45 PM, iowaboy1965 said:

Cant have 2 many. I have 5 for 24 acres lol

You may need more. Lol. I have around 20, need to go count, on a little less than 10 acres. Just now getting to be too many. Looking to build more shed space. 

Welcome to the forum.

It's great therapy to work on a piece of machinery and get away from the world.

II'll be following your progress with interest.

I've always wanted a 1486. Not sure why but I think the boat ridea cost a few £. :unsure:

On Saturday I got a little bit of time to work on this.  I was able to remove the tool box mount, those silly extra front lights, and got one of the dual adapters off.  Those dual adapter bolts were tight! The other one is still on, and I may have to get the 3/4" impact gun after it.  I also pulled the sheet metal off the left side to start to clean out the squirrel nest out of the engine compartment.  I also spayed a lot of things with penetrating oil and hope that will soak in and help free some stuff up.

I stopped by my cousin's house this weekend as well.  He has worked a an IH dealer in the shop for probably 30 plus years.  He knows these tractors inside and out.  After our long conversation I am more confident that I can fix this thing.  I am seriously contemplating on pulling the cab before I start to split the tractor.  While I know it's not necessary it does making splitting the transmission out of this tractor much easier. Plus It would allow me to paint the frame while I have it off once I get the Clutch and TA fixed.  I checked my AC system and it doesn't have any gas in it currently so there really isn't any reason for me not to pull the cab other than it ads a little more work to the project, but would also allow me to thoroughly clean and paint under it, etc.  Decisions Decisions! :)

1486 Dual adapter.jpg

1486 clean up.jpg

1486 mess.jpg

I see you emptied the walnut storage bay. Remember when refilling the walnut storage bay, only use CIH walnuts.

11 minutes ago, rcb said:

I see you emptied the walnut storage bay. Remember when refilling the walnut storage bay, only use CIH walnuts.

Sad thing is there's probably a few more still in there! :(  I am going to try and bring my pressure washer with me next time I am up there, and wash everything down really well.  

I don't doubt it. Not sure if the squirrels or the mice are worse. Probably mice... but the squirrels and chipmunks give them a good run.

Sounds like we need to become buddies.  LOL:D

Mike

8 minutes ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

Sounds like we need to become buddies.  LOL:D

Mike

I've been looking on your site for the last few weeks.  You're not that far from me here in Evansville, and I am sure when I really get into this thing especially the cab parts and AC we'll get to know each other! :)

Unless you are a HyCap dealer too for the clutch, and TA parts? 

2 hours ago, B.B. said:

I've been looking on your site for the last few weeks.  You're not that far from me here in Evansville, and I am sure when I really get into this thing especially the cab parts and AC we'll get to know each other! :)

Unless you are a HyCap dealer too for the clutch, and TA parts? 

Absolutely.  Anything you need on an 86 I can help you with.  If you some tech help along the way dont hesitate to call.  As always that is FREE.  

Mike

This probably goes without saying but to be safe I am going to say it anyway. With all the rodents calling it home, there probably isn't a good wire on it. Check everything before putting power to it. And keep a fire extinguisher handy. I would hate to see it burn up. I've seen it happen.

19 minutes ago, Jaa600 said:

This probably goes without saying but to be safe I am going to say it anyway. With all the rodents calling it home, there probably isn't a good wire on it. Check everything before putting power to it. And keep a fire extinguisher handy. I would hate to see it burn up. I've seen it happen.

100% agree!  I will be checking that out very carefully.

Mike, thank you! No doubt I'll be in touch when I get some funds freed up for parts! :)

Is your tractor in Salem or Evansville?

17 hours ago, Jaa600 said:

I keep fire extinguishers all over. It saved me just this summer. Truck backfired and caught the grass under it on fire. Truck was dead and not moving. Turned around to my other truck and grabbed the fire extinguisher. In 2 seconds it was out. Not that I couldn't have drug it out of the way in time but no fuss no muss.

I also have 3 boys... and have wood heat.

23 minutes ago, rcb said:

Is your tractor in Salem or Evansville?

Tractor is at Farm just South of Salem.  I'll probably be up at the Farm this coming Saturday if you want to stop by.  :)

I've got to get my 560 going (need to replace an o ring on the hydraulics for some bushhogging but I wouldn't mind checking out your new toy. I don't think I've actually ever met anyone from the forum before... though my wife has via some equipment purchases.

Hey B.B.! 

Pretty good looking fencerow tractor! 

+1 pull the injectors and get it soaking.  

Also agree on the general condition of the wire, my fencerow 706 is going to get every single wire replaced.  

Hey AW Glad to see you over here.  You're partly to blame for this big red tractor! :)

I was able to work on this some over the weekend.  I had wanted to get the injectors pulled to fill the cylinders up with penetrating oil.  I wasn't able to get the injectors out and even had my cousin who's worked on red tractors for years come over to help.  It appears I am going to have to buy an injector puller to get them out.  I felt pretty defeated! :(

I also noticed that that my pipe between the muffler and the stack will need replaced as it's rusted through. The throttle cable is also shot, and is stuck.

It appears that this engine is all original though.  Every bolt I have taken off I have damaged the paint on and they appear to haven't ever been taken off before.  I'm currently looking at options for a injector puller.  It's just money! :)

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

Just put a muffler eliminator on it.

Are they stupid loud that way? 

On another note after talking to a couple of my diesel mechanic buddies, I'm going to try again on the injectors.  I needs to take an Oring removal pick and get the old or rings out, and I left the injectors soaking in penetrating oil, so I am hopeful with some more work I can get them out without buying a puller.  Both said the puller only helps so much anyway and I need to get them loose first.   

Hardly any difference in sound. Also lowers temps under the hood significantly.

That would work then I was fearful it would be too loud 

On a lot or maybe most tractors with turbos a lot of the sound is dampened after going thru the turbo.