B.B.

New Member with a 1486 that needs a lot of TLC and now a 1086, and 986

You found a straight original unmolested 86 series :-) Those are getting harder to find! Good deal. I noticed it even has a/c drain tube clip still on the one battery box cover. Many of those got tossed over the years. Cab looks pretty decent too. I noticed it has the dual hub spacers on the hubs someone may have used it as a planting tractor at one point. I have a set of those on the 77 1486 i plant corn with. If you don't need them I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem selling them. Sounds like you got it bought right and you can use it, so you can justify putting money in it. I've got a couple 1086s around here, one since 2013, the other since 2014, both need engine work. I bought them with the intention of fixing and reselling, but since around 2014 the 86s really tanked in resale and I can't afford to fix them and come out on it, so they just keep sitting in the shed. They're worth more in pieces than they set, but I can't do that. The one sitting in the shed has water in the oil, and the other is hard starting. Keep us posted on how things are going!

KIMG1834.jpg

KIMG1299.jpg

Interested in selling one of those 1086 tractors as is? :)

Good looking tractors.

Did you make any progress on yours?

4 hours ago, B.B. said:

Interested in selling one of those 1086 tractors as is? :)

You betcha I'll sell them. Bring a 53 ft dropdeck with a beavertail and we'll run all three of them on. Lol! This ugly one ran good three years ago, clutch is out, factory ta delete, cabs rougher than a cob.

KIMG1866.jpg

I made a little progress last weekend.  I spent all the morning getting my NH TV-140 serviced and ready for the neighbor to borrow to pack silage in his trench.  

I was able to get the rubber rings around the injectors out which took a while as they were really well imbedded and hardened with age.  I pecked, and tired to turn the injectors with a wrench, pecked some more etc, but was not able to budge the injectors.  I left them sitting in penetrating oil for the week, but as tight as they are I don't have high hopes of them coming loose.  

I've been told I'll break a puller as tight as they are and to let them soak, and continue to work at them.  I'm tempted to just pull the head at this point and have them pressed out! 

On another note, I think 856 Custom has made this project a lot more expensive! :) Just have to figure out a weekend to drive up with a truck and trailer....  

95022.jpeg

95025.jpeg

95019.jpeg

If you can get a slide hammer onto your injectors fab an end that will thread onto the injector body and then thread onto the slide hammer. That way you get a nice straight upward blow/pull.

Might try some of the cryo freeze stuff.

4 hours ago, BOBSIH856 said:

If you can get a slide hammer onto your injectors fab an end that will thread onto the injector body and then thread onto the slide hammer. That way you get a nice straight upward blow/pull.

I think I'm going to have to look into that option.   Thanks for the advice. 

Take a look at KoO's threads and website , He uses a nifty invention he calls a "Bar starter " for breakin loose

uncooperative engines TD-6 known as 920 dis-assemble - IH Construction Equipment - Red Power Magazine Community

Glad to see your progressing! Those injectors will come in time just be patient.

As is often the case with some of my projects they tend to get bigger.  Thanks to 856 Custom myself and two of my High School buddies came home with 3 1086 tractors.  One is really nice, one is really rough, and I got a decent one with water in the oil.   The rough one is going to get fixed clutch and a few other things, and probably then live life on a hydraulic post driver that the one buddy bought.   The nice one my other buddy bought and he isn't 100% sure what he's going to do with it.  It's hard to start but seems to run well once it's going.  It's got a few fuel leaks currently, and that may be part of the problem?  He's a John Deere guy so I am not sure if he's going to fix it, and sell it, or fix it and keep it for a cheap extra tractor. 

The one with oil in the water I am keeping, and am planning on putting an inframe kit in it, and having the head rebuilt.  I hope that will solve it's issue and turn it into a running/working tractor while I continue to work with the 1486. 

I started yesterday on the road at 6am and got in just before midnight.  Made for a really long day!  Tractors are just pushed off trailer and still sitting in the field.  

:) Big thanks again to 856 Custom It was great to meet you and I do truly appreciate you helping me find a 1086!   :)  

We borrowed a semi from an uncle and flat bed trailer to haul two tractors.  It was a several miles yesterday staring over this hood. 

97562.jpeg

Here's the runner and my oily tractor on the flat bed trailer at a truck stop.  

97565.jpeg

Here's the rough one that will be used as a post driver 

97566.jpeg

And here we are after just getting through Indy traffic.  

97560.jpeg

Good looking tractor I'm sure you will get it in all its glory. Every since I was a little kid I wanted a 1086 and a 4020. About five years I found the cleanest original 1086 I could. However I have to use it a lot prolly gets 350 hrs a year. It's fun to have and run. Just wish it didn't have to work so hard.

17 hours ago, littletom said:

Good looking tractor I'm sure you will get it in all its glory. Every since I was a little kid I wanted a 1086 and a 4020. About five years I found the cleanest original 1086 I could. However I have to use it a lot prolly gets 350 hrs a year. It's fun to have and run. Just wish it didn't have to work so hard.

BUY ANOTHER TRACTOR! :)  Sounds so simple right?? 

I found some time to at least look over the new to me 1086 I picked up.  The pump was removed to try on another tractor and not put back on this one.  It's supposed to have water in the oil, and the oil in it looks brand new.  I didn't see any oil residue in the radiator so that kind of rules out the oil cooler.  It's not stuck though! :)

I wasn't able to get it pulled up to the blacktop to work on it as I didn't have any help Saturday and the neighbor farmer has my big NH loader tractor packing silage.   But from what I can tell it's a 76 model, and it appears to still have factory paint on it.  I don't see any paint lines anywhere.  The bottoms of the doors are rusty, and it has some handles on the insides of the doors I haven't seen before.   Headliners is shot, and it needs a complete interior kit, but those things will have to wait until I can get it running and all checked out. 

98344.jpeg

98348.jpeg

98338.jpeg

98340.jpeg

98342.jpeg

98343.jpeg

98347.jpeg

98346.jpeg

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

After market handles. Don’t remember which company.

I noticed this tractor doesn't have the upper hand holds in it like my 14, and the other 10 my buddy bought.  Being this tractor is a 76, and the others are 77 IH must of made that change to make the hand holds closer to the seat.  My brochure I have for these tractors doesn't show those hand holds either.  

I don't really like my aftermarket handles. I put Thomure handles in both 86's. I've torn countless shirts crawling out on the front of it when the door is open. Also running it I constantly want to put the palm of my hand in the top. It really hurts my hand after a while. They should make them with a little bend in the ends to not catch clothes and tear up hands. A neighbor fell off his 66 because his coveralls caught the t/a handle and he was going down forward like I do and shouldn't. He didn't have anything to grab when he lost his balance and landed on his wrists and broke both of them. Bad luck there.   Anyway look like some nice horsepower there. Keep us posted. 

19 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Should always be facing tractor going in or out.

I am guilty of not always doing that....  

9 minutes ago, B.B. said:

I am guilty of not always doing that....  

As am I! Took a digger out of this baby last winter. Lucky the manure pile broke my fall!966-1.jpg.9afcf625820c4a3cdfc4ed13faa14fb5.jpg

I was finally able to get the 1086 up to the shop at the farm.  I have a tall car port half put up to put them in to work on them and keep them out of the weather this winter. 

I also picked up a Gas 706 pretty cheap, but my buddy wants it to build a puller, so it may soon leave.  

I was bidding on a 986 today on Auction House.  It went for more than I wanted to pay, but it was a 1979 model (same as me) and was in good cosmetic shape.  I hate I missed it as a 986 is what I originally wanted so the search continues for one of them.  

If I can procure a 986 then I might as well start looking for a 15 as well! LOL    This is how stuff gets out of control! :)

1486 and 1086.jpg

100868.jpeg

Starting to be quite a collection!  That 706 looks nice too.  That's a "short" frame midel right?  Will be harder to put a bigger motor in that one . And it's got the rim clamps bolted on the outside of the wheel centers . I've never seen that. 

Never thought I'd see someone I'm so close to on here. I'm over in Warrick County. silly question maybe but is that PG's (if it is you'll know what PG means) maroon service truck? He's an IH man I know. Looks like your starting to put together some nice IH iron aswell. 

Was nice meeting you too Brian. Good luck, you got alot of work looking at you. This is that 15 i was telling you about that you didn't see. A 79 red power demonstrator back in the day. It left three weeks ago and went to Zanesville Ohio. I had no use for it.

KIMG2033.jpg

9 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Starting to be quite a collection!  That 706 looks nice too.  That's a "short" frame midel right?  Will be harder to put a bigger motor in that one . And it's got the rim clamps bolted on the outside of the wheel centers . I've never seen that. 

IDK much about it.  I'm still learning about these tractors.  :)

If I was going to keep it I'd probably leave it original and fix the few little issues it has.