Sign in to follow this  
James Wilson

SC wide front

Looking at a SC with wide front, it does not have the two arms or what ever they are called, that stops the tractor leaning left or right. Its has the two pads or bumper stops on the wide front, but missing the arms. With out those arms are there some damage I should look for?

560Dennis    0

They steer very hard , you need an h or m steering wheel. The tie rods ,you need a tremendous amount of heat to separate them if bent . 

We made our steering arm ,nla  steering arm all all bent from one thing or another .about  four months of work to recondition in our situation . 

I feel most I have seem for sale are way over priced , and consider the work to recondition . Look to redo the steering gear box if you have .

Nice project  

good luck 

image.jpeg

I want to know should you drive it with out those arms that keep it from leaning to far left or right?

farmalldr    0

James,  If on flat ground you would be fine without them.  If on rough ground it's possible to damage something because it can oscillate too far or upset itself.

I have some I could take pics of and do some measuring if that would help.

Dennis 

560Dennis    0

Possible Bend the tie rods and the steering arm , I don't have the tractor here to jack it up and see what else hits ,? Sorry!  Got it next week after Labor Day

have a shop make them ,  one solution if you can't find any

to look at the steering box casting to see if they removed or stripped out , I think they are  4  of 1/2-13  thread 

threads should be good , no broken bolts or stripped

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

If i buy it i can put my narrow front end on it.

gordon76    0

it will not hurt anything without those flat irons. been running my 200 for years without them never had a problem

FarmallFan    0
14 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

They steer very hard , you need an h or m steering wheel. 

The Super C came from the factory with the same steering wheel as the H/M. The straight C had the smaller wheel. 

Matt Kirsch    0

Okay first things first, those are just pieces of flat steel. Our Super C came without them. I went to the steel yard and bought a drop, cut two pieces off, drilled four holes, sprayed a little paint on them, and bolted them on.

Now, you have to get into some pretty rough terrain to get the front end to oscillate enough to even hit those things. One of my bars is bent slightly on the Super C so apparently Dad's been off-roading.

Super C's are absolutely not hard to steer. If yours is there's something wrong. It's like driving a go-kart.

George 2    0

Right about the Super C not being hard to steer. With the narrow front it is really easy. With the wide front it is somewhat stiffer but not hard to steer. My parents bought my Super C wide front new 65 years ago. It was built in May 1952 and was the mainstay on our small dairy farm for 10 years.  Our neighbors Super C was a narrow front with Fast Hitch and I often drove it also. Just had to be more careful working around hills and gulleys.

Thanks for the info