yellowrosefarm

Swapping my s-Cab

I've had the replacement cab for a year and am finally getting around to swapping it out. Truck has a 7.3, replacement cab came from a DT466 truck. I'll find out soon if the wiring is plug and play. The connections are the same, just don't know about the actual wiring. Also need to swap out the transmission and will do that before the cab goes back on. The one in it jumps out of gear under load. I have another one that has the E-Brake on the back of it, and since this truck is an air brake truck, I'm hoping I can just swap out the plain yoke. Removing the cab was pretty straightforward. I picked it off with the tractor and forks with a strap through the windows, doors on. In the 3rd picture you can see the rust hole. Drivers side floor, mount, everything MIA. Also firewall under vent totally gone. Replacement cab was never on a truck used to plow snow. That makes all the difference.

dump truck 004.JPG

dump truck 002.JPG

dump truck 003.JPG

Yellow rose Have they started putting the de-icing brine on your roads yet ?

Up here in mass the rock salt was not enough ,Now they spray the roads with

millions of gallons of what may as well be sulphuric acid :)

It's chewing holes right thru Fisher plows in 2 or 3 seasons

On 8/21/2017 at 8:47 PM, Kevingweq said:

Yellow rose Have they started putting the de-icing brine on your roads yet ?

Up here in mass the rock salt was not enough ,Now they spray the roads with

millions of gallons of what may as well be sulphuric acid :)

It's chewing holes right thru Fisher plows in 2 or 3 seasons

Yes, they use brine down here also. If the conditions are right it will burn all the plants on the side of the road also. In the spring it looks like the roadsides were sprayed with roundup.

on my 82 IH s1954, they spray foamed the rust holes which made a bigger mess but I guess the driver want to be warm.

where would be the best place to get the passenger side door latch, mine is worn out.

KoO

Here is the cab going back on.  I welded up the few rust holes it had and undercoated the bottom. One thing I totally spaced on is the fact that this cab came from a DT466 truck which placed the hole for the shift lever back farther. So, now I have to fabricate a new floor section to replace the "dog house" so I can get the hole where it needs to be. I'll find out about the wiring in a few days. The cab plug is the same but no guarantee it's wired right. Sorry for the green content,  the loader is off the red tractor right now.

putting cab on 001.JPG

As far as I can tell all the electrical works as it should. With IH's reputation for not building 2 trucks the same I was worried about that.  The old cab engaged the starter with the ignition switch. The new cab has a push button on the dash, but it engages the starter so that's fine. Put the steering column back in, hooked up the new throttle cable, clutch linkage, wiper washer bottle, heater hoses, air lines,  etc so am making progress. An interesting feature of the new cab is that the floor is made of enough removable panels so that the trans could be removed out the top and through the door with a cherry picker. Makes me wonder if there was a cab for a 7.3 made the same way.

The shifter hole was not so far forward that I couldn't use the dog house. Really happy about that. I'm going to get a Kenworth style square shifter boot to finish that off.  I painted the floor with Eastwoods rust encapsulator, then sprayed bedliner over it. Front mat was ruined but I think there is enough left to use as a pattern to cut a new one. I also found out that the only thing wrong with the air seat was the switch. It also has a lumbar air bag but no switch for that, so I've got 2 switches on the way. The previous owner just had a piece of wood jammed in the seat base to hold it as high as it would go. Switches were only $25 including shipping.  I'm going to use the original shifter hole for the hoist cable and make a plate to cover the rest.

puppies 004.JPG