1945 IH TD-9

Td9 starting valves

So my grandfather purchased a 1945 crawler and he has tried to get it running.  Problem being he cant see well and can only talk people through it.  He operated one in the late 40's but never had one tore down so his knowledge on it is limited.  I purchased a couple of manuals for it and we started from there.  The engine turns well but wont fire.  The second and third starting valves are stuck in the open position which I don't think should be a problem when starting on gas if it fires, but will be a problem when switching over to diesel.  Any tips on freeing up these valves without taking apart the head or is that the only way.  I am not very familiar with these engines so any other advice would be appreciated. thanks.

Take valve cover off,spray lots of penetrating oil on the stuck valves. After a few days of spraying, tap the valves down more. Don't pound them, just tap! Then if they move at all, pry them up and tap them open a few times, they should loosen up.

If they're still stuck, take the plugs out. You can see the stating valve stems so you should be able to do something through there with penetrating oil ??

You could also try taking off the rockers , starting valve shaft and  what IH call  'the starting valve covers ' . They can be a pain to shift too but it will give you better access to the springs and a bit of leverage.

Good luck but it will be worth it when it fires up !!

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:52 AM, R Pope said:

Take valve cover off,spray lots of penetrating oil on the stuck valves. After a few days of spraying, tap the valves down more. Don't pound them, just tap! Then if they move at all, pry them up and tap them open a few times, they should loosen up.

Good advice from R Pope, this is what I did on my TD9 and it worked well.... using a suitable sized wood dowel for a punch would be a good idea when tapping the caps on top of the stuck starting valves ...  

Just a suggestion, for the TD9, even though your issue is engine specific, you may get more responses on the IH Construction Board on this Forum.

Plenty of TD9 and other TD model owners on that site regularly, and are very knowledgeable and helpful with just about any issue you might encounter.  

Some of them visit this Board too, but probably not quite as often .. 

The valve spring on those valves only lift at about 25 lbs, so any movement may not be returned; it is possible to get it stuck even lower... and as it is stuck, it is probably at its lowest normal position. Careful there. But it should indeed start on gas. Make sure both starting valve shafts turn completely, the one at the rear will sometimes not turn as it is driven by a spring from the front shaft and not a mechanical connection. That shaft turns the switch plate for ignition power to the coil, if it does not turn then no spark. A little (!) starting fluid can help determine if you have a spark or fuel issue.