Sign in to follow this  
dale560

Who had the real 501 7388

Jeff-C-IL    0

Everybody focuses on the big dog...I'm actually more curious about the 7388.  Anybody got a link to auction video on that one?   I'd like to hear it run and hear a bit more about it.

1256IHman    0
11 hours ago, SDman said:

BJ, I can remember driving through Huron many a time back in the mid 1980s looking for that 7788 as my Dad and I drove past Olsen's. He raised hogs so we made a lot of trips to/from Huron in that time frame. As I recall, that tractor sat at Olsen's from 1982-83 all the way up through 1991 or so when they had a sale to get rid of a lot of their old IH inventory since they had were never offered the CaseIH contract after the merger. IIRC, they were asking around $70K for it when they were trying to sell it. Since it was more or less an orphan, nobody wanted it very bad. 

My service manager in the late 1990s was the service manager at Huron's Case Power & Equipment store at the time of the Case/IH merger. He told me that they got a list of new IH equipment that they had to go get from Olsen's shortly after the merger since it was now Case's property and not IH's anymore. One thing they did NOT have to get was the 7788-so that would suggest that the 7788 was dealer-owned at that time, not company-owned. That would probably explain why Olsen's had it all those years after the merger.

Interestingly, one of the guys that owned Jay Graber's 7788 in the early to mid 1990s was at my dealership today. We got to talking about the 7788 when he owned it. He said they paid $46K for it when Olsen's had their auction. He and his brother figured they would never be able to buy a more-or-less new 300+ hp 4wd tractor for that kind of $$$ again, so they took a chance on it. They traded it in when it had about 1800 hours on it for a new 9270 CaseIH Steiger in 1995-96 without having any major problems with it.

Just think, if a guy knew you could buy it then for $46K and then sell it now for $140K, you would have had a worthwhile investment.

Interesting story Jim! If a fella only knew then what we know now huh? Bad thing is I would have sheds full of IH tractors because I don't like to sell anything, but that would be a good problem to have! Just think how cheap we coulda bought 14-1568's 06's56's ect back in 80's 90's, could be sitting on a gold mine today. Is there much for old binders still in use out your way? I haven't been to my friends ranch near Wessington for several years now. Last time I was there I was amazed at how many acres of prairie had been plowed under

George 2    0
7 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Everybody focuses on the big dog...I'm actually more curious about the 7388.  Anybody got a link to auction video on that one?   I'd like to hear it run and hear a bit more about it.

The video you want to see is posted on You Tube by Scott Campbell and is titled "IH 7388 video 2" . Take a look starting at 1:36 into the video. This shows the Manitoba 7388 fuel injection pump as pure AMBAC Model 100 pump the same as on many thousands of other IH tractors

Jeff-C-IL    0

Thanks George.  I was really curious what the 73 was like "under the hood".... looks like pretty much a dead ringer for my 4386.  Love that DTI-466 purr.  Those engines run so smooth.

jass1660    0

Lee klancher had a picture of serial number tag for 7388 #502

CravenCreek    0

Hi fellas! I responded in earlier thread about this.  I live outside Rushville NE and worked for Stuart Johnson for a summer and drove both 7388's that he had, one was the infamous serial#501 and the other was #502.  I talk to him quite often, he bought #501 new and later bought #502.  Ken Updike was there and documented both of them!

ole 815    0
1 hour ago, CravenCreek said:

one was the infamous serial#501 and the other was #502.  I talk to him quite often, he bought #501 new

We are all curious, so where is the 'infamous #501  7388' that Stuart bought new, now?

We know that the other 7388 #501  was bought new and was in Canada. Video of it shows it has Ambac Rotary injection pump. 

dale560    0
40 minutes ago, ole 815 said:

We are all curious, so where is the 'infamous #501  7388' that Stuart bought new, now?

We know that the other 7388 #501  was bought new and was in Canada. Video of it shows it has Ambac Rotary injection pump. 

If you read Stuart's Facebook post . He talks about selling his to the people in Canada and how it was reworked. Raises a little doubt about his 501. A very limited people own those tractors so if you sold one you would definitely know who you sold it to and later buyers of it.

CravenCreek    0
On 8/27/2017 at 8:26 PM, ole 815 said:

Ill talk to him and get more details,  I've heard the story several times, but all the info didn't stick.  I wish Ken would chime in on this.

TroyDairy    0

So.... let me get this straight.  Guy just recently sold 501 7388 4wd.  He 100% got it new.  No doubts, papers, witnesses etc etc.  But a guy in NE said he had 501 for years and got new.  And to top it off Mr Updike verified it.

Wheres the Hardy Boys when you need em? ;)

I personally think the recently sold 1 is real from JUST what i have seen online and here.  All fits and flows well... 

SDman    0

Since we have a possibility of having 3 7388s and 7788s around, do we know how many 7588s there are and where they are? IIRC, there was one at Red Power Roundup in Iowa several years ago that was from Iowa. If the collector in ND has one that would make 2 accounted for(unless this is the same tractor). Are there any more out there?

Matt Kirsch    0

Maybe it's best that this remain a mystery?

If someone verifies the existence of a second #501 7388, then there's going to be all sorts of arguments and bad blood over who has the "real" one and who has the "fake" one. Who gets to keep the 501, and who has to renumber theirs to 503?  Yeah there are lots of equitable settlements to the argument, including ones where neither one has to renumber their tractor, but there are also plenty of "messy" scenarios that could boil to the surface if the truth ever comes out...

Jeff-C-IL    0

I agree.   Its not like one of them is a "fake" reproduction.   My guess is if there are 2 #501 tractors it happened at the factory, and that would be even rarer.....!

George 2    0
On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:26 AM, Matt Kirsch said:

Maybe it's best that this remain a mystery?

If someone verifies the existence of a second #501 7388, then there's going to be all sorts of arguments and bad blood over who has the "real" one and who has the "fake" one. Who gets to keep the 501, and who has to renumber theirs to 503?  Yeah there are lots of equitable settlements to the argument, including ones where neither one has to renumber their tractor, but there are also plenty of "messy" scenarios that could boil to the surface if the truth ever comes out...

I disagree. I suspect there is a good explanation and the reason for the double billing could be in the fact that as said earlier on this thread, the Stuart Johnson's 7388 in Nebraska had the fuel system reworked to an inline pump. When manufacturers make changes such as that sometimes they restamp the serial numbers so this is the first one having a different fuel injection system. IH used to do this regularly when they made major changes such as in the 815 and 915 combines. The later low profile ones all had the first serial number at 8001. In the 7388 case there was only one other S/N 501 and the person stamping out the S/N plate might not have known of the other 501 serial numbered one. Similarly with the 1206. Why were there 11 or 12 pilot run models starting with S/N 501made and then they changed the full production models to start with S/N 7501? The bottom line is that there appears to have been at least 3 of the 7388 tractors made. Maybe more will pop out of the woodwork in the next few years. Who knows and those who do know aren't talking.     

BOBSIH856    0
11 minutes ago, George 2 said:

I disagree. I suspect there is a good explanation and the reason for the double billing could be in the fact that as said earlier on this thread, the Stuart Johnson's 7388 in Nebraska had the fuel system reworked to an inline pump. When manufacturers make changes such as that sometimes they restamp the serial numbers so this is the first one having a different fuel injection system. IH used to do this regularly when they made major changes such as in the 815 and 915 combines. The later low profile ones all had the first serial number at 8001. In the 7388 case there was only one other S/N 501 and the person stamping out the S/N plate might not have known of the other 501 serial numbered one. Similarly with the 1206. Why were there 11 or 12 pilot run models starting with S/N 501made and then they changed the full production models to start with S/N 7501? The bottom line is that there appears to have been at least 3 of the 7388 tractors made. Maybe more will pop out of the woodwork in the next few years. Who knows and those who do know aren't talking.     

Did IH number all tractors for testing 501 and once they were done and the tractor was in fair enough condition it would then get a normal S/N? When we test trucks if it is a minor change the first truck to get the change gets tested if it is major changes then we build DEMO trucks that are used as test mules and then go to different shows for customers to see.

George 2    0

It was my experience at JD that the initial prototypes made for field functional and endurance testing were usually given a project number like XPxxx.  Pilot production tractors were just the first production serial number as in 501 at IH. I think JD was 1001 or some number like that if my memory is not faulty.

FarmallFan    0
9 hours ago, BOBSIH856 said:

Did IH number all tractors for testing 501 and once they were done and the tractor was in fair enough condition it would then get a normal S/N? When we test trucks if it is a minor change the first truck to get the change gets tested if it is major changes then we build DEMO trucks that are used as test mules and then go to different shows for customers to see.

IH started the prototype series at 501 for each model. Then the number increased for however many copies they made. 501,502,503, etc.

CravenCreek    0

Talked to Stuart more on this yesterday morning and got more info,  He bought his #501 new from Keating Implement in Atkinson Nebraska, later #502 came up for sale used from the same dealer.  And as far as the injector pump and turbo Stuart changed those out after he owned them for a while, remember these were not very sought after tractors in the late 80's and 90's!

SD6788    0

Jay Graber has a 7388 as well as the 7788.  Not sure the serial number but I have seen the tractor in person.  

SDman    0
On 8/22/2017 at 10:08 AM, 1256IHman said:

Is there much for old binders still in use out your way? I haven't been to my friends ranch near Wessington for several years now. Last time I was there I was amazed at how many acres of prairie had been plowed under

BJ, there is still a lot of older IH equipment still being used out here, although I wouldn't say they are the operator's main tractor by any means. They are the "odd use" machine anymore that does the infrequent, but still necessary, job on most farming operations. PTO tractors for augers, mower/raking tractors, stuff like that are where you will still see old IH tractors on occasion.

As far as plowed under prairie, yes there was a lot of pasture ground turned over through the last 10 years or so around here. Some guys probably wish they wouldn't have done that now. Unfortunately, those guys probably couldn't have used that pasture ground much this year, anyways. As dry as its been here you couldn't have grazed it very long.

1256IHman    0

Ya kinda the same around here Jim, most of the old IH's in use yet are on smaller farms or are used as chore tractors. Still a lot of red iron around though.