Clyde

Rough Start / Misfire at high Idle

Hi everyone First time posting, Lurked for a bit now.

I own a TD7C 1972 with a D206. When starting it sounds like it is missing on one or more cylinder for about 20 to 30 seconds. When warm but not overheating and not always it will crap out at high idle, pushing the decelerator it will smooth out again. The warmer it gets the worse it seems to be. It does it under load or just running down the road at full throttle. Thanks, all hope someone has dealt with this before.

If the engine is mechanically good, you need clean fuel and fuel system and bleed  the air  from the system.

Don't forget the bleed off return line from the injectors to the tank.

Good luck with your project.

Sounds great up to the point it starts cutting out, If I flutter the fuel pedal it seems to clear up for a little bit.

Oleman, Thanks for the reply. I am looking up how to bleed the fuel system now. Will report back tomorrow.

Thanks guys. I bled the fuel system a couple times. It is 98% better. Might need to bleed it once more. Thanks again.

I would change the fuel filters if you're having that much trouble bleeding it. What is the fuel like?  If you don't know how long it has been in in there, drain it and get fresh fuel, too. Could also be a weak pump from using ultra low sulfur fuel. If it is, you will soon be getting the pump rebuilt. 

Jerry

If you continue to have problems, use low pressure air and blow air back from the first filter back to the tank to clean out the line and the line boot inside the tank.

The non spin on filters with the glass globes also have a tendency to leak when you change them. Make sure the gaskets are in place.  I have those, with at least 5 years of use all we do is drain off the water accumulation when it shows up in the bowl. 

We like to get fresh road grade fuel from the local Loves truck stop, I know it will be clean and dry of course it is also low sulfur.  And keep the tractor tank as full as possible every day or for any storage or down time.

Update: After bleeding the fuel line from tank to filters, filters, Injector lines, then the injectors. The TD seemed to work great all day.

I started it up today to finish off a small pad and it ran well for about three min and started crapping out at higher RPM. If I kept it at lower RPM it did ok. I went to drain off any water at the bottom of the tank and I could hear air being sucked into the petcock and bubbling into the fuel tank. I took the fuel cap off and the tank was under negative pressure. Following the lines from the tank to the water separator there is no fuel pump. 

Question:

Is the fuel cap supposed to vent or is there another vent?

Thanks guys

OLEMAN! It was the sock/strainer in the tank. Never had better power. Thanks all for the help.

Awesome glad you got it figured out. The cap should be vented. Maybe time to replace it?

18 hours ago, Clyde said:

OLEMAN! It was the sock/strainer in the tank. Never had better power. Thanks all for the help.

Glad I was able to assist.

The stock cap on a 464 wheel tractor is not vented there is an outside  vent line from the filler neck to the bottom of the tank.

I have not worked with  the track layer, and don't have a reference manual for the TD7C  but all fuel tanks have to have a vent system. 

Over time someone  replace the flat cap on the 464 with a vented cap that is tall and filled with filter mesh.  It leaks when the tank is too full and the fuel sloshes around.