1967ihtruck    0

What is most important in picking a cam and making the most hp lift or duration and what it the best for a 350/305 Chevy I know this is an Ih forum but I just thought I would ask

Kevingweq    0

Lift and duration go hand in hand ,   The best cam is the one one ground for the application

it will be used in ,, (not being wise guy)   At what rpm will engine be used at and what will it be doing?

R Pope    0

Yeah, that's kinda like "how high is up?" A street cam is not a dragster cam, and a truck pull cam is another thing all together.

First thing I want to know is gear ratio, vehicle weight, vehicle type, compression ratio, cylinder head type,transmission type,intake and carburetor,... All of this plays together. 

1967ihtruck    0

The truck is a 1964 Chevy c60 which is a two ton the max gvw is 19500 the gear ratio is either 9.97 to 1 or 8.87 to 1 on the low side since it is a two speed rear end and I am not sure about the high side. The trans is a 4 speed and it original. The 350 engine replaced the original 292. The reason I thinking about the engine on this truck is because we haul about thirteen bales of 4 by 6 bales and the motor is not quite enough to pull the load down the road and when you get to going up much of a hill going down the road or pulling out on the road it is pretty slow and I was just wanting to give it a little extra power to help it pull the load

R Pope    0

I would go with one of the "tow truck" grinds, Good low and mid range torque. You sure don't want a "Hot"grind in a truck, you'll be shifting gears on every little hill.

8 hours ago, R Pope said:

I would go with one of the "tow truck" grinds, Good low and mid range torque. You sure don't want a "Hot"grind in a truck, you'll be shifting gears on every little hill.

Like he said, a performance cam will make you lose your low rpm torque. I'd probably use a Comp Cams 252 or 260, but a stock cam is probably just as good.

http://www.jegs.com/i/COMP-Cams/249/12-205-2/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/COMP-Cams/249/12-206-2/10002/-1

mmi    0

in this case we use to order and RV cam little rough in town,city but good hwy and loaded

1967ihtruck    0

Ok do y'all think a 4 barrel would be a good swap from the factory two barrel and if so what size or kind

Kevingweq    0

Edelbrock or Holley w/vacuum secondaries 600 cfm    Carb CFM Calculator

R Pope    0

Yes, a 600 CFM 4BBL on a 180 degree manifold will work for you.

oleman    0

Family member runs a 600 Holley on an Olds 455 in a 76 GM FWD motor home.

He is up in the Denver area and is always heading for the high-ER  country every time he goes out.

He is a retired professional mechanic and has made the engine his, (many mods, including new design heads and custom cam) the holley performs well with good economy.

If I didn't know him so well, I would never believe the holley could be made to be economical on a 13,000# MH with over 460 CI of engine.

Believe the FWD GM package only has a 3.31 gear ratio, takes much torque to get it rolling, when up to speed it cruises at 70 MPH.

560Dennis    0

What I call full race cam with not work well on street , low vacuum give vacuum advance and brake booster fits . Just a thought about I what I came across 

DOCTOR EVIL    0

My Cousin hauled corn from Western Illinois to Hennipen, Ill to the river terminal one winter.  Guy he drove for had a '64 Chevy C-60 with a tag axle rear.  Had a 5-speed and 2 spd axle,  geared to run 70-75.  Engine was a BIG 4bbl carbed 327,  would have been similar to the Fuelie 327 except had a carb. 350-360 hp.  You didn't want to drive it flat footed,  would melt it down,  but it would run with anything on the road if you treated it right.

Cousin quit to farm in the spring.  Guy who took his place talked to him about the truck.  New guy had no patience,  tossed a rod in the first 2-3 weeks. Found out you can't run 5000 rpm for an hour.

If it was me,  I'd build and tune an engine similar to the LT-1 350 used in Cameros. 360-370 hp.  Maybe put a 50 CFM smaller carb on it than Chevy did.

Guy I drove for had a late '60's C-50,  cute little truck,  had a 10 ft 6 ft tall box with roll up door.  Originally a 350 truck engine, 4-speed geared for about 60.  Boss had to drive it to Des Moines and spun a rod bearing in it.  He ended up putting about three 305's in it.  Way it was geared you had to hold speed down to 50-55, or 60 for short intervals. Hey, I was getting paid by the hour!  Bet I put 10,000 miles running that thing up & down both sides of the Mississippi River one year.  Road driver had to take it to Des Moines one night and almost made it to Iowa City. Spun a bearing.  Bet the thing was running 4000 rpm at 60 mph. 4350 @ 65.