TN Hillbilly

Lawn Mower Recommendation

The motor in the 318  is grossly underpowered compared to any of the newer units.      I had one.  Really wanted to put a Honda in it, but it was worth good money being original and beautiful, so I sold it and went zero turn.   (They rule, for mowing, period). Now, I've also had about every model of cub cadet, 1440, 1641, 1842, 2165. 2554(?) I think, 3000, 3200, and a diesel in there someplace.  Basically, the older, the better.   We still have the '92 1440, 14hp, 42" deck, 2000hr, not one repair Ever (knock on wood) and it's got 25-30% more hp than the 318'ever thought of having. And, it's just as rugged. (We've kept it around, because it's been the best machine eve, and it's the only one small enough to fit flat in the bottom of  the ditches. That series has the big rear axle, holds like 7 quarts of fluid, five bolt hubs, front wheel and deck spindles are both big, huge by modern standards, (all of the components are Heavier and bigger than on the 3200), but the 1440 was also about $5k back in the day, and the 3200 was only $5500 20 some years later, and it's got power steering.     I vote to google a 1440, then  maybe buy Anything that is that early 90s style and looks to,have been taken care off, and you'll feel oldschool and modern at the same time.   Plus the hand operated hydro lever, just like your 318, is easier to run than holding down the pedal on the newer ones, imo. 

Interesting on the not liking the foot controlled hydro.... since going to one on my 2165, I wouldn't ever want to go back to a hand lever.... FWD - RVS is so much faster and easier. When going longer passes I can just push the dash mounted cruise control paddle and lock the pedal in position, as soon as I tap a foot pedal it releases. Feels as natural as driving a car. 

Went from a JD318 with 1200 hrs it was a 1991 so 50" deck with a blade too.  Took a while but got 2K for it, replaced it with a 60" commercial Bad boy, Kawaski powered and upgraded to a better suspension seat.  240hrs it's been great, saves fuel, time, way more power and comfortable!  My 64 year old mom likes it too, since it is her place she does most of the cutting since I don't live there any more.

I have ran a Snapper rear engine rider for years. A single blade that does a great job of mowing and if you get an older one, there is no frills.

Everything is easy to get at and you can set it up on it's butt to sharpen the blade. Easy to drive and fun to mow with.

TN,

I had this question back in the early part of this summer about what brand to buy.

I really wanted a Lawn Tractor but was not liking the Cubs at all (CRAZY LOOKING) and not worth the over 5 K.

I looked at the Deere's, ok I guess but way to much money imo, I also looked at the Husky's not bad.

I went to the Kubota dealer on Sat. morning  looking for a Kubota rider but they didn't stock any, salesmen asked why not a zero? I said I didn't like them for what I had & of course, he said get on this 125 with 54'' HD deck, 25 HP K. and try it out & see what you think, Monday afternoon it was setting in my DW ready to go.       

I can't believe I didn't want one its sooo much more comfortable for me operate and cuts my grass better then ever. Not to mention it saves me about an hour or more.

I'm really glad I bought it, I hope this helps.  

Charlie

Cub cadet pro z 972 S.  (35hp, 72", 14.5mph, air ride seat)' We run one of those and a Z- force S 60 (25hp 60")    The "S". stands for Steering wheel.    Really the way to go, imo, over a lap bar zero turns.  With a wheel you get one hand free to sip coffee or text.   Didn't mention them earlier, as I'd never want to tow a trailer with one like the original poster was looking to do, that, and they're kinda overkill for most lawns. 

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:44 PM, Diesel Doctor said:

I have ran a Snapper rear engine rider for years. A single blade that does a great job of mowing and if you get an older one, there is no frills.

Everything is easy to get at and you can set it up on it's butt to sharpen the blade. Easy to drive and fun to mow with.

While the JD is at the shop, the Simplicity has also gone down.  I am back to the Snapper rear engine rider that Dad bought about 30 years ago, and that we have always kept around as a back up.  I don't think its ever been out of commission in 30 years!  (But it is so slow and uncomfortable...)

But dependable?  You better believe it.