Sign in to follow this  
Missouri Mule

pulling info needed

My kids aren't quite old enough yet but its never too early to start planning. I would really enjoy to build them a pulling rig. It would be like anyone else, its really my passion but the kids are a good excuse.

I have to ask and maybe this has been already asked. What are some things to know about how these are built? I know this is a BIG question. I am looking for the basics and more details can come later. Pics are a plus

I see them already built on cl quite a bit but not really sure the difference between a good one and a bad one other than appearance.

Any info is always appreciated. Sorry I frequently visit the general Ih and coffee shop.

I think this guy is in our neck of the woods ? 

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/index.htm

Be careful dealing with Brian Miller.  I spent about $300 with him 12-15 years ago.  I was VERY disappointed when my parts arrived.  Very poor workmanship.  I had to take it to work and have the one QA tech that had worked at Briggs & Stratton check it out on our CMM that she ran.  She said it was O-K but looked like poop. He used a Dremel to grind a locating bearing anti-rotation slot in a conn rod that should have been milled. When I ordered the parts he argued with me several times,   made me think I was dealing with Denny'S Carb shop.

I have ordered parts several times from Midwest Super Cub and been totally impressed. Top notch parts and service.  They also have one of the best Quarter Scale garden tractor pulling forums on their website.  Good friend just bought a stroker crankshaft and rods for a Kohler Command V-twin engine, make a 25 hp engine 35+ hp.  The parts looked like Jewelry!  Excellent quality.

Most people start pulling in Stock classes and move up with experience.  If you start with anything other than an old gear drive IH Cub Cadet your starting with two strikes against you.  Even the fancy new green tractors are CC under the green paint.

I did go to his site and learned a lot of info. That was kind of what I was looking for. It seems to me I have a lot of learning to do to figure out what mods are good and what are hack. That's why I am looking into this now.

Ok ! good ,you went to the site ,read it over a few times . I would go to the local pulls and see what your up against. They might have bone stock for the kids ,you won't have to have some of the high cost and high tech till later. 

Kids just want to pull , they like the bonding they get with you when you let them be involved . I use to be at the scales weigh in tractors and I could see the success of involvement. 

In my opinion just work on traction at first and see how you do . I never set for kids yet but I got beat by a lot of kids cause they could out traction me with weight placement. You will get it when you do it. Some track like now turf tire tires 6 ply and low tire pressure will amaze you what they can do . Early wet soil then bar tires . Loose gravel fair ground track with gravel bar tires. That s what I mean by traction . 

Dont get discourage by getting beat it will happen a lot . Just keep improving . 

Oh think kids that pull garden tractor will just destroy hot shots with money in tractor pulls cause they don't know Gription