Sign in to follow this  
Hydro70

Rare Barnfind..........226 hour 1981 IHC 1086 see for ya self

Post said it set in a barn practically all its life and it has only 226 hours on tach and was bought new in 1983 but its a 1981 so sat on the lot for a year or so and the tractor is in Cleveland, Texas with a price of only $24,000.  Looks right to me and those tires are original and they aint never seen no work and check out the rearend, completely clean....................I have to believe this article myself.  I helped service new tractors at Dads dealership when we sold a new one and we sold quite a few 8s, 9s, and 1086s and this looks like something that's just left the lot from being sold new to me and the scratchs to the rearend were probably from a 3pt brushhog or something heavy cause it does have 226 hours and those straight pipes deteriorated quite rapidly when used in the beginning.  But it just looks to clean in to many places that are hard to keep clean on a working tractor

barnfind a 1981 IH 1086 that sold new in 1983 and has only 226hrs on tach its in Cleveland, Texas for $24,000.jpg

20431640_1657141711026002_2875246584024558830_n.jpg

20429888_1657141761025997_2087698681368039048_n.jpg

20476145_1657141727692667_9119211867223271415_n.jpg

This has been making the rounds on FB and seems there is some questions about authentication of this girl!  Some say paint looks to good in some areas and sheet metal paint doesn't match drawbar and hitch paint.  Others have commented about an incorrect stack.

I agree with you...it is super clean and drawbar shows almost no wear.

Right or wrong it's nice!

I don't like the term "barn find" someone knew about it.

7 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Taco?  I'll admit.....I don't get it.  Clue me in 

Tractors sent to Mexico...Labels in Spanish and also 4 post tractors...IIRC no TAs either.

What about the sway blocks on the 3pt?? Is that a factory taco thing or aftermarket? I only remember the cam sway parts.  If it's an aftermarket thing then it seems like low hours for the factory parts to be replaced?

Its a legit Taco tractor admited by seller. Alot of people were breaking this guys balls about having red alternator and red wiring etc... Well facebook is full of idots who think their 12k hr tractor is all factory original. Most dont know, realize or comprehend everything on that engine was painted red, manifold, wires, hoses, alternator, filters, everything except an either can would be original red.  That tractor was 1st for sale around $12k then this guy decided he had to double his $. Been forsale for a while. Although it looks like a very low hr tractor. Its too easy to swap or disconnect those tachs. 

The cam sway limiters were very popular here in TX and were factory. 

Should send that pic to person responsible for correctness of parts. Notice the length of the fuel hose from fuel filters to fuel pump. That is definitely the original hose. There is no way to put the clamps on the replacement ones we get nowadays like that!! The new ones are too short!! Been a pet peeve of mine for years.

Thanks for sharing. Neat original tractor!

1 hour ago, Long Farms said:

Its a legit Taco tractor admited by seller. Alot of people were breaking this guys balls about having red alternator and red wiring etc... Well facebook is full of idots who think their 12k hr tractor is all factory original. Most dont know, realize or comprehend everything on that engine was painted red, manifold, wires, hoses, alternator, filters, everything except an either can would be original red.  That tractor was 1st for sale around $12k then this guy decided he had to double his $. Been forsale for a while. Although it looks like a very low hr tractor. Its too easy to swap or disconnect those tachs. 

The cam sway limiters were very popular here in TX and were factory. 

X2 on facebook idiots Brian

Looks like it has the metric bolster and pistol grip shifters to make it a late model but I don't see any flow controls or the extra filter under the left side frame rail , or did the Mexican tractors still use the open center hydraulic system?

Where is the little strap of metal that comes down from the roof and by the ash tray in the cab tractor! Usually the ones with high hours are the ones ripped off! Just saying not gonna say it isnt true or the tractor was touched up! Does look good! 

I would buy it from the picture with confidence. It is not a high hour tractor. But in this day and age everyone wants proof ,paperwork and so on.  About the only thing not original the way it Looks are the filters.

16 minutes ago, Gleaner k2 said:

Where is the little strap of metal that comes down from the roof and by the ash tray in the cab tractor! Usually the ones with high hours are the ones ripped off! Just saying not gonna say it isnt true or the tractor was touched up! Does look good! 

That little strap of metal was for the aftermarket enclosure.  Also the exhaust is correct.  4 post roll guard 86 series tractors came with the straight and flipper to make smoke go straight up.  I bought a 1981 986 4 post new.  It wasn't taco, had TA and the normal 3 point.  Wasn't bad except when hot and dusty.

jerry

I would have to see it in person, but i think it is legit as original all right. The hours who knows, but the paint and everything else looks authentic to me. Has the 88 series dash in it so it is a late one. Never seen an 81 without flow control though. If I needed another open station I would be interested.

It must have the open center because it doesn't have the extra filter on the left side. Not much of a investment. $24K is about what they were new.

Did this tractor sell? Where was it advertised?

Look at the rear tires. Those old Goodyear's haven't been available since the early 1980's. They also have very little wear. As such I suspect they are original and also have seen very little use.   

7 hours ago, George 2 said:

Look at the rear tires. Those old Goodyear's haven't been available since the early 1980's. They also have very little wear. As such I suspect they are original and also have seen very little use.   

George 2 has a point. Check the date code on the tires. It should have a 4 number code molded into the sidewall that is the week and year of manufacture. 

And either way I would like to add it to my collection. It may be worth $24,000 but not to me. Maybe 18k. But I’m cheap...

I would give up to 20 for it but i would walk for more than that. I can get a cab with ac and a ta with low hours for that easily. Anybody worried about gaskets and seals on this tractor? I would wanna run it cause it was born to run. Im thinkin since it sat idle for so long there be gremlins waiting to be set free! All that said she is in very,very nice shape. With some new decals and a good waxing its ready to show!

17 hours ago, Jaa600 said:

George 2 has a point. Check the date code on the tires. It should have a 4 number code molded into the sidewall that is the week and year of manufacture. 

Actually the date code prior to 2000 is 3 digits. The week and the decade meaning  that 302 would be the 30'th week of 1992 or 1982 or 1972...  I guess thats why it was changed to 4 digits.

Thats how figured the tires on my 684 were original BFG radials as it is a 79 model and the tire codes last digit was a 9 and BFG stopped making tires by 1988.