How dry is it in your area?

Was out looking around the other day and found this crack. Went back and got the metal yardstick and dropped it in about 32 inches. Going to check it again in a week or two and see if it gets deeper.

The ears of corn were from a spot that looked decent from the grass I was driving in. Appears to have already taken a pretty major yield hit. Didn't pull any ears where the crack was, there just wasn't hardly any there.

20170727_112444.jpg

20170727_111244.jpg

Well 4 fires started within 20 miles today, right on top of them with suppression, so it's don't fart outside dry,

About a 1/8 of rain since mid June.

Sorry Dan, that's not good at all!  I hope your crop does well somehow. Bad crops and these prices take all the fun out of farming. 

Very dry here also,  since may 20th we had .65 all little piddle showers that just settle the dust for a couple hours. This past Tuesday night we got .65 - .75 in one shot but it's too little too late for most of the dry land corn, we could still make beans if mother nature would provide. It's hard to believe we went from too cold and wet to so hot and dry so quickly, the ground is hard as concrete. Go south 30 miles or east 20 miles and things look pretty good but there are dry pockets everywhere .

Water everywhere here. 13" rain in July 6th wettest July on record for us.

Less than an inch since the snow left. Crops are hanging on better than I could believe but they are suffering. 

Around a 1" of rain here since the begening of June. Crops are doing good so far though. One thing that saved us is we were wet when we were seeding this spring. If we get another half a inch in the next week or so I think we'll be set for harvest then.

About this time of year in 1980, I had the prettiest corn and bean crops I'd ever had - good stand of corn, just starting to tassel, narrow row SRF beans dark green and shading the rows, in strips planted on the contour of our far-from-flat-and-level ground.

The redhead and I sat out on our deck one afternoon - it was about 105 degrees and there was a strong,  hot southwest wind.  We watched the corn just bleach out into a sickening white while the beans just kind of wilted. Corn made 22 bpa and beans about 4.

Rolled over 7% operating notes at 18%.

Then we did the same thing for two more years.

Lost everything but the kids.

It was character-building.

I'm not whining, because it's all working out in the end, but we've been there, done that.  Feel for you all who are enduring a drought.

3 hours ago, mader656 said:

Well 4 fires started within 20 miles today, right on top of them with suppression, so it's don't fart outside dry,

About a 1/8 of rain since mid June.

We are the garden spot in MT this year.  Wet early spring but the last good rain we've had was an inch on June 13.  Spring seeded crops are burning up.  Started my winter wheat today and its not too bad on the yield and test weight.  Typical 70 bu straw but 40 bu wheat.  Heard of a farmer in eastern MT that cut for 3 hrs to fill his grain tank on his combine. 

About 2 1/2" rain since the 1st of June. Lawn is burnt up including dandelions and creeping charlie. Corn is hanging on better than i expected(planted a droughtgard hybrid this year). The tough ground wont have anything. Beans are about halfway to my knees...just really not doing anything but staying green. Gonna start feeding hay on pasture this week...

Even the trees are shedding some leaves now.

Very wet here, May, june and july have been record or near record rainfall. Just wont dry out. Corn looks good on well drained ground, terrible on wetter ground, beans look terrible. Hay has been a challenge, wheat won't dry down to combine.

21 minutes ago, ChrisNY said:

Very wet here, May, june and july have been record or near record rainfall. Just wont dry out. Corn looks good on well drained ground, terrible on wetter ground, beans look terrible. Hay has been a challenge, wheat won't dry down to combine.

Haylage is even a challenge to make. We just finished third cutting a made some too wet. Usually third is hard to make without it being on the dry side here

wet year this year, starting to dry out.

fire danger at moderate for the first time for the season.

tomato plants only 12'' tall [no madders this year].

have not heard the winter forecast yet for the Keweenaw.

Mike

It was a late wet spring everything was still looking pretty good, but we only got a 1/2" rain in July and its going backwards fast. South of me near Richmond corn is knee high for the second time.

7 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Heard of a farmer in eastern MT that cut for 3 hrs to fill his grain tank on his combine. 

A lot of wheat was cut green for hay out there too....if it came up it's been worse over there.

Tuesday's headline in the local paper was "Waterlogged"; bridge supports east and westbound on I86 washed out, homes flooded, etc.

today is the 4th day in a row with no rain, almost a record for this year. i was mowing 2nd yesterday and the ruts i made doing first had standing water in them. i still have first to round bale after we finish chopping 2nd.

low danger of forest fires around here.....

What little wheat was able to be combined has been already. Most wheat around here was harvested a month ago or better  with either a hay baler or a SP sprayer. What wheat was harvested with a combine had excellent protein and test weight. Most of the wheat that was harvested was 20-30 bpa.

We had normal snowfall last winter, but the water shut off after that. Spring planting was too easy here this year-no moisture problems. Lots of cattle have been sold or moved out of the area due to lack of feed. Pastures are in terrible shape.

The corn is looking pretty tough as well-although it still looks good in some places considering what it has went through.

As far as other crops, the "three Ss" are still hanging on-soybeans, sunflowers, and sorghum/milo. The flowers and milo are pretty drought tolerant.

The grain elevators here had a busy run right before harvest-everybody cleaned out their bins of old crop wheat just as the price went up so there is some optimism there. 

The USDA drought monitor keeps getting worse in the Upper Midwest every week.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/RegionalDroughtMonitor.aspx?high_plains

I've had to kayak to work every day this month. Maybe hagan can tell the exact numbers. But I've had 8 inches at my hill in july

Very wet here all but impossible to make hay,5 inches of rain Friday night, seems like clear for 2 days week,cloudy for 3 and rain other 2 ,it's been like this all summer,I sell all my hay for the dry hay market so excess rains hurts more than helps,looks like May instead of Aug

Dry dry here. Thin ground is toast. Better ground is holding on for dear life. Some guys are spraying for spider mites already 

Terrible wet in our area of central PA. We have had 3 flash flood type events in the last 3 weeks.  Some crop issues around here due to drowning out flooding etc in the low lying areas but the corn and bean crops on the high ground look outstanding.  Loys of dairies in the area that sure need a good crop year.  Feel for you guys that are drying up.  

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu

this was a surprise to me. Only servere drought up in Dakota and Montana 

Just walked out in the corn tonight, the 30,000 population corn isn't good.  The corn I had a horrible crust on and ended up with average population of 24,000 looks to be my best.  

KIMG0174.JPG