1947t9

International T4 and T5 orchard tractor

sugarmaker    0

Good luck firing it up for the first time! You have a couple nice machines there!

Regards,

Chris

1947t9    0

I thought that I might use a temp tank but then thought why not use the original tank and just put a new filter on it. The inline electric fuel pumps I have seen on ebay may not pass gas if they are not running all the time, plus I intend to use this machine on some very steep terrain. The better pumps  like Carter run 6 to 8 lbs, will that high of pressure tend to flood the carb? I don't expect to find an original pump, just want to buy one that works well with a T4.

So far I've drained the thin engine oil which had a lot of gas in it, drained the fuel tank, cleaned the carb, removed the belly pan and pressure washed that. The worst thing was there was a mouse nest up around the clutch and flywheel a very large stinky one. I knocked it out, scraped and blew it out. I'm hoping I don't have a stuck clutch. There is a filter on the right side down by the frame. The outlet ran about 2 feet forward on a hose and was blocked off. At some point a branch became lodged between the frame and clutch housing and that hose. The hose was cut and when I removed the branch about 3 quarts of light oil leaked out. I looked for a fill hole but didn't find one or an obvious drain plug. I still need to check the gear oil in the transmission and rear and deal with the hydraulic oil situation. Right now I just have a hose barb coming out of the hydraulic filter. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

chip man    0

The transmission is the hydraulic reservoir. Ring and pinion share oil with it, clutches are dry, bull gear cases use gear oil.

my T-5 came with a really big carter electric pump on it . Would flood the engine in the blink of an eye. I've tried three other pumps and they all want to supply 10 times what the engine will use. Right now I have a Mr. Gasket on there. 20 gallons a minute and 3 to 5 psi. Less than ideal

t4mike    0

i've never used a e-pump, keep the tank near full and u won,t be changing gas contaminated engine oil so often. try it on ur steep grades…. may not work on the steepest 1's. u should get books.

gordon76    0

fuel pump part #57324DX shows still available Case IH

1947t9    0

I did get some books, manuals that came with the tractors, but I don't know my serial number and they don't say the specs for things like the pump. I was reading about the trans and the hyd system, but I'm not sure yet what I have modified. I think I'm going to find all the lube points, but still have questions about oil, for instance it lists IH HY trans fluid for the transmission is there a modern equivalent? It also lists 90 wt gear oil for the rear, can I use a modern GL5 or do I need to find GL1? I didn't have time to do anything on it today. Thanks for the fuel pump Info gordan76, I'll check that out. I did see a low pressure 6 volt fuel pump online that may be a low price alternative, but that can mean it won't last too.

Thanks

1947t9    0

Where is a good place to find a carb to manifold gasket? Been searching and I don't think I need a kit, just the gasket. I prefer not to attempt making one.

Thanks Louie I'll be going to napa.

sugarmaker    0

Haven't done any research but Steiner's might be a place to start?

Regards,

Chris

1947t9    0

Thanks sugarmaker, Steiner had it and will send me 2 for 7.58 including shipping. I'm going to try to get everything else done on the crawler so when they arrive, that will be the last thing. The only negative is it's supposed to be 106 today and my old bones are not used to dealing with heat like this in NW Oregon.

sugarmaker    0

1947t9,

Ooooh 106F! That's just to hot to do much! We have been in the high 80's and high humidity! Very uncomfortable, but have been doing a little each day on the TD6.

Regards,

Chris

1947t9    0

I went to the Steam Up in Brooks, OR at Powerland. It is the biggest show around here, but didn't see many IH tractors, no T4's there when I was there. Mostly JD. They did have a unrestored TD6 in the tractor pull. It was ugly, there was a hint of red paint on the back and the announcer said it fell of the trailer twice in the past. It looked it but it completed the 100' pull. with it's 83 year old owner... Full Pull.

sugarmaker    0

Would have liked to see that TD6 in the tractor pull! Ahhh If you want to see a ugly duckling take a look at my TD6 with all that extra loader hardware! Beauty must be in the eye of the beholder! Stripped down to the bare tractor I think they are pretty darn cute.

Regards,

Chris

1947t9    0

The TD6 didn't have any paint on it. It had a welded on cage that was all bent up from falling off the trailer twice and ending tracks up. What they have for a pull is a skid that they  can drive a small tractor onto for a preload, then they have people, some big and fat volunteers sitting on bales on each side of the track and they step onto the sled as it passes them for 100 feet. I think the TD6 had an 8n ford on the skid and as the people added on it hardly slowed down.

1947t9    0

While I was greasing the idlers I measured the tracks. On the possible orchard model they are 6" exactly between the pins. They are 6 and 1/16 on the one without the radiator. On a second look at the holes in the hood they are round. With the pipe in the hole I was deceived. I will get a picture.

1947t9    0

hood pictures

Does anyone know the usable limit on these tracks  center to center? and what were they when they were new?

Thanks

DSCN1346.JPG

DSCN1347.JPG

DSCN1348.JPG

DSCN1349.JPG

chip man    0

6 inch is new. You should measure across four links ( five pins). 24.01" new, 24.53" is 100% worn. Link height is 3.00 inch. I don't remember what 100% worn is

t4mike    0

that could be a lp hood??? i ain't seen 1 up close.  it looks to have die cut holes too?? why i don't know.  maybe a halfbreed?  anyway u got most parts 4 a complete lp.

1947t9    0

I measured across 5 links(6 pins) and it comes to 30". The other T4 without the radiator is 30.5 inches across same. The link height is about 2.75 not counting the grouser on both machines. I'll take a picture across 4 links of each. It looks like the tracks are new on the one machine(14") and nearing worn out on the one without the radiator(12"). Not sure what the low link height means. The machine with the 14" tracks came with extra sprockets that look new, just like the ones on it.

I tried to hold the tape while my son took the picture, but I wasn't centered when I ducked down on the newer tracks, anyway you get the idea. I was closer to center on the machine without the radiator. He took 2 pictures of each so I put them in.

DSCN1353.JPG

DSCN1352.JPG

DSCN1351.JPG

DSCN1350.JPG

1947t9    0

The pictures were less than good and in this case, and don't save a thousand words, but one track is 24" and the other is a shade less than 24.5.

1947t9    0

Chip Man, I've been thinking about 6" being new. They are 6" on the one track, but the adjustment is about half taken up. On the other track here isn't much life left being almost 24.5, and it is about at the the end of it's adjustment. So I think I'm measuring wrong or new is less than 6"or there is another issue why my adjustment is half used up. Idler worn, sprocket? I'll get a picture of the sprocket and idler later.

Thanks

1947t9    0

Are the T4's positive ground? I'm getting close to starting it up.

Thanks

chip man    0

My T-5 was converted to 12 volt negative ground with an alternator before I purchased it. I know the gas ones were 6 volt new, I think positive ground.

my TD-5 is original 12 volt, positive ground .

track parts are pretty damn rare. The first two pics look good, the last two are showing wear. Probably around 100%.

i wouldn't junk them, because you might not find any replacements.

1947t9    0

I read that 6volt were all positive on everything since I asked this question, but the tractor was hooked up negative ground by looking at the battery terminals where positive is the larger. There was no battery in the machine.

I have a 57 s series pickup that was built with 12v gen and positive ground. So they could come that way. Come to think of it the 1944 M2-4 international was 12 volt negative ground with a huge generator.

The first 2 track pictures are of the T4 without the radiator, they looked very near 100% worn and at the end of their adjustment. I probably won't use either one that much anyway.

1947t9    0

Is there a parts wanted section or do I list what I need in a thread? I have a fairly long list.