Sign in to follow this  
dannyredfan

What size would this be

Have a chance to buy this what would it be worth if it still runs good?     And what model can't find a tag anywhere 

image.jpg

image.jpg

You won't find a model number because it's the first model cub cadet, referred to as the Original. The fenders are not original and the deck lift rod looks to be off of a 124 or 125 era cub. The backrest is a neat uncommon option. Probably mid-1961 year as it has no hole in frame for creeper which is early production only but it is late enough to have the slot in the right hand side of the pedestal to adjust the steering shaft box. Value anywhere from $250-500 I'd say. That one looks very straight and solid still. They used to be everywhere but I guess ebay and the parting out guys got a lot of them because they don't seem as plentiful. I've owned 20 or so of these in the past and still have an early 3 digit serial number one. You'll find the serial number on the lower right of the reduction housing between the frame and rear end. It'll be stamped into the casting.

If you buy it objective 1 needs to be get that muffler off there before someone bumps it and rips the casting right off the motor that it screws into. 

That's referred to as an Original,  before model numbers assigned.  Probably has a 7 hp Kohler, unless it was replaced then probably an 8 hp used.  That model was built from 1960 till 1963.  No serial number tag on them.  The serial number was stamped in about 1/8 inch tall numbers on right side of transmission case.  Numbers from 501 to 65457.  That one looks in real good shape.   Only Cub Cadet garden tractor to ever use a v-belt drive.

Think the motor is a 161s maybe. Couldn't get it to fire. Was getting gas (fresh gas). Spark plug hole is stripped. And carb bowl bolt is stripped will stop it from leaking if you get it just right but would need repair 

Some K161's were 2-7/8" bore, others were 2-15/16" bore, all K181's were 2-15/16".  The K161 was 2-1/2" stroke, k181 was 2-3/4" stroke.  Other than the small bore K161 piston and rings all parts interchange. Even all the engine tins with the serial and spec number interchange.  Take the engine apart before you buy any internal engine parts. I was never a fan of the oil bath air cleaner,  a dry pleated paper filter off a later model 7 or 8 hp CC should screw right on to the carb.  Different carb should be easy to find, get you a good dry type filter and good threads for the float bowl.  The soft aluminum float bowl bends when the nut is tightened, have to tighten nut more the next time, then you strip  threads.  You have to carefully tap the bottom back down before you install the float bowl.

Thanks.    Haven't bought it yet .   Was wandering .  The deck doesn't raise very high. Guessing 3" . Like to mow around 31/2" - 4 " is that as highways they go

20 hours ago, dannyredfan said:

Thanks.    Haven't bought it yet .   Was wandering .  The deck doesn't raise very high. Guessing 3" . Like to mow around 31/2" - 4 " is that as highways they go

I have the mowers on my 982 and old #72  both set to mow about 3-1/2" high.  They can raise as much as 4-1/2" to 5".  The Original with that timed 2-blade 38 inch deck may not be as adjustable.  The frame of the tractor may be lower restricting how high you can mow.

You could always install larger tires.  Those lugged rear tires are probably around 21-1/2" to 22 inches tall,  putting a pair of 23-8.50x12's could gain you half an inch.   Those frt tires are only 14-1/2" tall. Next size bigger is a 16 inch tall 6.50x8, gains you an inch in the front.