Sign in to follow this  
Willie B

Water on road

Willie B    0

Another thread got me thinking. I want to start a new thread to avoid hijacking his thread, and give me a chance to rant, maybe others to share some wisdom.

I live in a tiny town, (200 people), In theory, we have 26,000 acres, but the US Forest Service has surveyed 27,500 State of Vermont has another 2000 acres within the township. What this means is we have very little road maintained as highway. I'd guess we have 500 miles of road once used for logging. My father was a self appointed one man road crew to maintain this. He had opinion, mostly based on good logic. No part of any road should ever be exactly level. Level road means water stays in one place long enough to ruin a road.

Those not as thoroughly trained as me, and my oldest son rarely understand this concept. Seth was 15 when grandpa died. His brother, much younger.

To build a good road, you must start with good drainage. After that it needs surface. A crown, maybe water bars are essential. Width is critical. 12-15 feet of surface is good. Wider, means wheel traffic will cut troughs in the road. A road of correct width must slope down to drain water to the ditch after this width.

Wider roads will form potholes. Over time the composition of the soil under the pothole will change to be different from the surrounding road. Under the pothole will be a material impervious to water drainage. A pothole will live forever if it isn't killed. Grade deep enough to cut away everything to a depth deeper than the pothole.

Or: Don't let it grow. A nearby town has always been pothole free. The Road Commissioner understands. Crown the road, maintain the crown. Don't ever allow wheel tracks to wear lower than the road beside them, and fill any small depressions immediately. He would argue a road needs grading twice a year. Traffic gives you a hard packed surface. Too much grading makes it soft, it'll wear faster, form potholes faster, and hills make washboards, as inexperienced drivers accelerate as they climb the hill.

Willie

north of 60    0

Sounds like your Dad and the Road Commissioner had it figured out.

Have been working on my fairly long gravel driveway with my old TD9 to re crown it to make sure the water drains off. Some water was starting to lay on it, and the dreaded potholes were forming...

Makes me really appreciate the good cat skinners who can level dirt by eye ....  

Kevingweq    0
3 hours ago, north of 60 said:

Have been working on my fairly long gravel driveway with my old TD9

We need pictures or better yet video :D    Pretty Please

Filling potholes is only a temporary fix because tires bouncing into holes tamps the bottom hard so the new fill will never bind with the hard packed hole bottom. The road surface needs to be scarified and evenly packed down.

Conventional wisdom from a county grader operator---. Makes sense to me

Tom

Willie B    0

Keeping tires in the center of the road is lesson #2 from dad. If everybody straddles the center of the (1 lane) road. it forms two strips of depressions. Running left wheels in center, and right on the edge of the traveled portion prevents this. Pothole formation requires depressions. Prevent depressions, prevent potholes.

Willie

Man don't get me started on road maintenance lol. Up here we have rural municipality's that maintain the roads.  Finding good operators is next to impossible it seems.  Our RM especially. They will never actually cut the holes out of the road. They simply just tickle gravel from one side to the other. Told the one counsellor one time that I wished I had my own grader I'd go and blade the bloody road my self so I could at least drive on it. 

Willie B    0

The next town, Danby has about 1000 people. US 7 runs up the border between the two towns. Danby has about 50 miles of town roads, 1/3 paved. The grader operator for 40 years was a 400 pounder famous for his laziness. He suddenly died. I worried who they might find to not grade the roads the way he didn't. It turned out there are several people now to not grade the roads. Road quality hasn't changed at all. They still get graded 1" deep once a year. A pothole in the morning will be as big as ever upon the first rain. A 6" deep pothole will lose 1" of depth, and be filled with loose gravel. Rain turns that loose gravel to sponge. The first tire to hit it splashes the sponge out of the hole.

Thank God for the Prius. They fill the potholes. Other drivers pass over them never knowing what filled these big potholes.

Willie