Sign in to follow this  
560Dennis

New Idea 30A Sickle Bar Mower

Been working on this baby for almost a year and a half .

But the real effort was in that gear box. I can't remember how much time 

i estimated a month and a half , ha! That was nothing but thinking how to save the drive . No parts most are discontinued. 

image.jpeg

Less pieces in the pile , hope take er to antiques this weekend .

if I do not get any more surprising assembly disasters. One of the 5/8 treads that hold the cutter bar on was stripped 👎🏿👀🤓🚜

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice work Dennis.  You have brought back memories for me.  We had a New Idea mower very similar, if not the same on our farm more years ago than I like to admit. I had forgotten about it until I saw your project but now remember using it to mow the banks of the ditches along the road. My dad sold the farm something more than 40 years ago so I guess I have an excuse for having forgotten the New Idea mower.

Looks like a nice project.  It will look nice behind any color of antique tractor.  

17 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Looks like a nice project.  It will look nice behind any color of antique tractor.  

X2,

I respect your comments . I have to say this anyone has restored farm equipment . I have the upmost admiration for your talented efforts . All of you know what is required , if your first time expect the unexpected as I found out on almost every project . This one was a fire horse . 

For example , this will be used to cut cover crops. My son who has never ran a sickle bar mower will be using it .He is not that fimilar with these machines. I have to make sure that a machine like this has to blueprinted or I will be walking about 500 hundred yards to he back of the farm to see what happen ? I don't want that and I don't want him hurt because I didn't do diligence to make sure this machine is properly set up ,. I can't afford to this twice or three times . 

See this sketch from the operation and set up manual 

How many points on this machine prevent me from achieving this set up? A lot, my machinist / welder son have been working about a month to straighten measure and restore this cutter bar to get the 4 inch to 41/2 inch lead. It is mind boggling the things that are bent ,worn and stripped. 

image.jpeg

I still have a brother to it. Grandpa bought it new and pulled it with an allis CA. I still use it to do pond edges and road ditch. The guards are shot and it plugs fairly easy. Ours has a cylinder added to it because I guess that portion of the gear box went bad and it was easier to add a cylinder? Before my time. Looks Good Dennis

Well this is a great reunion today , Dads Farmall C and the the long anticipated completion of the New Idea 30A sickle bat mower. What great day for me as the sounds of the past come alive. All the time, expense and effort have vanished, into satisfaction of a job completed to best of our abilities. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Boy, if you got it tuned to mow your yard like that you must have done something right :)

All joking aside, that looks great.  Pretty cool to have something like that come back together after all this time.  

Looks great! I mowed a lot with one. Most of the time was good. Down clover had to be mowed only in one direction. So had to run bak to the other end of the field to start again. I scrapped one of these a couple years ago when cleaning out my uncles farm.

If I remember the orange on the wheels might have been just a little brighter orange???

Regards

Chris