FarmerFixEmUp

What's Your Heritage?

74 posts in this topic

Just a simple question. What country did your ancestors come from?

Both my mom and dad were full blooded dutch. My dad's dad came over from Holland when he was an early teenager, about 14 I believe. My mom's side was here longer than that. 

Russia

Well, the Arbuckle's (dad) are Scottish from the Angus clan. The Watsons (mom) are of course English.

Swedish and irish

No particular order

England

France

Germany

American Indian

Scottish

My mother did reasearch our family

Dad's side signed the mayflower compact,

Moms side was a knight that could cut a man in half too to bottom with one blow....

Some talk of their ancestors coming over on the Mayflower. My mom's side has been traced back and I can say with confidence, my ancestors were here to meet the Mayflower. 

Growing up, I heard the others in our family line were "French, Dutch, and don't amount to much." 

French, Dutch, Irish, Cherokee, probably other too.

Dad's side is German.   Mom's side is Scottish.  Nobody famous on either side.....

1 minute ago, 1965Dennis said:

Some talk of their ancestors coming over on the Mayflower. My mom's side has been traced back and I can say with confidence, my ancestors were here to meet the Mayflower. 

Growing up, I heard the others in our family line were "French, Dutch, and don't amount to much." 

French, Dutch, Irish, Cherokee, probably other too.

Some of mine met the boat too....

Haven't done much research but I want to.  Don't know where to start as I won't pay and everywhere I visit wants money.  I do know dad's side is mainly Swede with a splash of Pollock and mom's side is strong German.  G-pa on dad's side still has first cousins in Sweden so it hasn't been that long ago.  I believe great g-pa is the one that came over turn of the century.  I know nothing about how long mom's side has been here.  

German

German and Norwegian,  

And a bit here and there depending on who you ask  

German and English

One of mom's ancestors came over with William Penn and settled in Buckingham

English / Huegenot on dads side , english / Scottish on mums. Dads side was lucky enough to have a choice to come to Australia as settlers.....

I'm only 34 but know for a fact my great grandpa was born in Sweden and immigrated here when he was 2 in 1910 so that side hasn't been here long.

Moms side in German and English.

English, Scottish, Irish, German, American Indian (believed but not proven to be Iroquois).

I'm fairly stubborn, I tan well, and I can't grow a beard fit to show in public.

Mothers family came from Scotland in 1817. Fathers family came from Scottish borders in 1843. Mixed in with English since. About 50% Scottish and 50% English.

This is too funny! Look at the history of Europe. Through the ages every country there was both the conqueror and conquered. Rape and pillage was the normal operating procedure. Plus add in that often raids were conducted to gain new women (blood) for another group. Add that to the fact that in times of multi-year drought people migrated back and forth. Your ancestors may have immigrated from a known country but your actual DNA may say something completely different. My MIL is a good example. Both set of parents immigrated from Norway. She had the DNA testing done. Turns out she's over 1/2 Celtic. Lot of Celt communities were raided by the Vikings looking for women plus at one time or another the Celts conquered most of Europe to include sacking Rome. So with the history of Europe who knows without DNA testing?

Both sides of my dads family immigrated from Germany but because of the family name were know there is some Bohemian blood in there. We know on mom's side that there is family background both English and Dutch.  

Kinda funny but if you look back most peoples world wide at one time or another had slaves. If someone lost a war and survived odds were they were taken as booty to be sold into slavery. So odds are somewhere in your background someone in your family was a slave. Slavery was ended in most countries now for humanitarian reasons but because of the peasant class. The more slaves a country/empire had the less work there was for the peasant and middle class which lead to revolts and civil war. Rome is the best example of that. Julius Caesar wasn't killed because he was a tyrant. He was killed because he was going to institute changes limiting the number of slaves giving Roman citizens more opportunity to work and earn money. That was going to cost the rich more money to maintain their lifestyles. They used the claims that they killed a tyrant as an excuse.

Rick 

Kraut;--the first Railsback was purportedly a Hessian mercenary for King George III and my grandmother on mom's side was born in Germany, her dad's family was Scottish, supposedly from the narrows of the River Cart.

Dad's mother was of English stock.

Half German. Half Irish. 100% American.

Family name is Barrow. From the longest of the three sisters in Ireland the River Barrow. 

Other side is Kraut. Dating back to the germanic tribes. Some moved through the viking lifestyles, some became orthodox jews in Deutschland. 

German and French

Father's side is Swiss.  Three brothers came over before the Revolution and settled in PA.  During the Revolution two stayed and sided w/ the Colonists.  One (my side) remained loyal to the Crown and moved to Canada.  Later one splinter of that family moved to northern IN and then my great GF north here to Michigan.  The above is well documented as there is a very thorough history presented in a book on the family name.  There had to be some dilution of Swiss through the years.  I do know my great GM was part Indian Native American (Gee, where was my PCness?).

My mother is 100% Swede.  Her ancestors came over from Sweden and settled in Texas (Georgetown area) in the late 1800's.

My sister is getting her DNA profiled.  It will be interesting to see how closely that and our understanding of the family's history match/mismatch.

I traced mine WAAAAAAAY. Back.

England on both sides. And I'm guessing a hint of Native American as I am a direct descendant of Pocahontas (Rebecca Rolfe) and John Rolfe.

My wife has done a little research and everything traces back to England.  My dads family came to Illinois from Virgina about 1810 and settled.  Moms family about 70 years later.  Might make a trip someday to look for some graves. Looks like i may be able to find the grave of my first ancestor that was born on this continent.   Born in the 1750's in Virginia and died here in what would become White county Il about 1814.

bill