NebIH

Newly purchased 986

NebIH    0

Recently bought a 1979 986. This one has maroon carpet, not a rubber floor mat.  I hadn't been around many of the 86 series, but was this something common or an upgrade?  Seat is also maroon.  

Jeff-C-IL    0

Dad's 1486 had the maroon carpet and seat.   I think it was the "western" interior.

CDN 400    0
2 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Dad's 1486 had the maroon carpet and seat.   I think it was the "western" interior.

The western interior was that ugly tan colour with the pattern in it.

Eason    0

I believe the correct term was "burgundy" interior

I think there was 3 different interiors for the 86 series.   Black.....Burgundy    and the tan Western.  It was discussed here several years ago and there was pics of each one.

234-IA    0

the burgundy interior came out in 78 or 79 and was an option through the remainder of the 86 run.  The western was only available for tri-stripe 86s.  both usually came with AM-FM radio and the fender floodlights.   But it can be tricky-  I bought a clean original '80 1086 that  has the burgundy carpet and door panels and a red cloth  seat- but the armrests are brown,  the padding around the seat and consoles is black and it doesn't have sun visors.  I suspect it was built during or maybe just after the 79-80 strike out of whatever parts they had  around

NebIH    0
31 minutes ago, 234-IA said:

the burgundy interior came out in 78 or 79 and was an option through the remainder of the 86 run.  The western was only available for tri-stripe 86s.  both usually came with AM-FM radio and the fender floodlights.   But it can be tricky-  I bought a clean original '80 1086 that  has the burgundy carpet and door panels and a red cloth  seat- but the armrests are brown,  the padding around the seat and consoles is black and it doesn't have sun visors.  I suspect it was built during or maybe just after the 79-80 strike out of whatever parts they had  around

Mine has the burgundy door panels and seat also.  Somebody must've put a new cab kit at one time because it is black.  It still has the original IH am/fm radio.  Tractor only had 4,040 hours when I got it.    So far so good.

First red interior was 79, those were Red Power tractors. In 1980 you could get red or black and in 1981 western was an option. The 79' Red Powers had red interiors, the decals and the rear halogen fender lights and the chrome door handles. Not sure all had the chrome door handles, but I have never seen a red interior 1980 without them. 

ih crazy    0

My 79 1486 has red interior but has the white radiator panels and it's original. Don't know what you mean by red power??

20161116_154159.jpg

234-IA    0

ihcrazy: sweet 14.  the "red power"  tractors came out in 1979 as  demonstrators  which had the red radiator panel with the circular "red power" decal and branding iron decal on the hood just above.  They also had the burgundy interior and floodlights.   I was  under the impression the chrome door handles were dealer/owner rather than factory installed though 

89vmax    0
8 hours ago, ih crazy said:

My 79 1486 has red interior but has the white radiator panels and it's original. Don't know what you mean by red power??

20161116_154159.jpg

that is 1 nice 14

3588pfcred    0

Dad bought the 1086 new in the summer of 78 and it was the first 86 series we got in with burgundy seat, wide steps, elec. Diff lock, data center, red tail lights, it's in my shop now.   Steve

660 driver    0

Wow that 15's a hoss!

3588pfcred    0

I can remember the rear tail lights on the top of the fender was an option, but I can't remember what else was included Steve

NebIH    0
3 hours ago, 234-IA said:

ihcrazy: sweet 14.  the "red power"  tractors came out in 1979 as  demonstrators  which had the red radiator panel with the circular "red power" decal and branding iron decal on the hood just above.  They also had the burgundy interior and floodlights.   I was  under the impression the chrome door handles were dealer/owner rather than factory installed though 

Mine basically has all of those options.  It was repainted somewhere along the way. Any chance with the serial number to tell if it was a "red power?"

ih crazy    0

Thanks 234ih,89 and Nebih i will check the serial # when I get a chance it has the newer style rear axle housings also

20161116_154151.jpg

Here is a '79 "Red Power" 1586. Serial# 17176. Has red interior with sun visors and the red tail lights. Also has the branding iron decal on the hood although pretty faded on one side.

1586 red power-branding iron-17176.jpg

1586 red power-branding iron-2-17176.jpg

ArkLa 1086    0
12 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Here is a '79 "Red Power" 1586. Serial# 17176. Has red interior with sun visors and the red tail lights. Also has the branding iron decal on the hood although pretty faded on one side.

1586 red power-branding iron-17176.jpg

1586 red power-branding iron-2-17176.jpg

Forgive my ignorance but is that a homemade concrete front weight and bracket? 

charlie r    0

This may be a weird question but here goes, why were there so many different color options on the rear wheels ?

I always thought that the matching front & rears red on red looked the best like the one ArkLa 1086 posted, just my HO of course.

Charlie   

7 hours ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

Forgive my ignorance but is that a homemade concrete front weight and bracket? 

Not sure if IH ever made any concrete box weights, but here is another "Red Power" 1586 that has the same thing on the front. My guess is that both tractors came off the same farm and the weight boxes were probably fabricated at the same time.

1586 red power.JPG

1586 red power-2.JPG

ih crazy    0

That is the same tractor

37 minutes ago, ih crazy said:

That is the same tractor

No it isn't....different serial numbers.

ih crazy    0
7 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

No it isn't....different serial numbers.

Doubt it ,look harder at everything it's the same one. It just has the duals off.