Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tracto4

IH Mccormick Orchard O4 Parts

13 posts in this topic

Have a 1945 McCormick Deering O4 orchard.  The throttle (governor) lever broke off near the pivot point at base of steering wheel mechanism.  Looking for a lead on a replacement part, it's part number, assembly diagram, or possible repair options.  Thanks in advance.

Tracto4,

Do you have pictures?

That's going to be tough to find. Not impossible but tough. I know where a couple O-4's are sitting and one looks like a parts model but he won't get off of them. I've tried several times. 

Could you weld it back together for the time being?

The throttle mechanism should be the same as a W4. The steering "base" itself is different between the W and O series. I'm assuming the steel lever has broken at the aluminum connection at the steering base. You have some options for repair just depends on available tooling and how concerned you are about it looking original or a replacement should be straight forward. 

The mechanism as a whole is very simple but they can begin to work hard over time as rust and debris accumulates in the thrust bearing (brass shim) between the steering base and left side flange of the throttle mechanism. 

If needed I have my OS6 in the garage and can take the pieces apart and post some pictures. I just had it apart as it moved way too stiff and the long steel lever started working loose from the aluminum pice it is pressed into.

Had to try out the new picture posting functionality so here are some images of the components on my "6".

IMG_2668.JPG

IMG_2669.JPG

IMG_2670.JPG

W6 one will probably work.

Thank you for the advice and great pictures.  Mine broke in the worst possible area - the die cast portion at the pivot mount.  See two pictures.  The tractor is a recent find not yet cleaned up from years of storage in a barn.  I guess I'll have to find the part number of this lever and start hoping to find a replacement.

o4.jpg

o4a.jpg

Check with burgh implement in PA. I bought some parts off a W4 they have in their yard that is being dismantled. My experiences have been A+ with them. 

Tract04,

That part is what I was told is POT METAL and yes they break much easier than other materials. While I have no working part for you, I do have the manual for my W-4 that includes the assembly diagram and all of the part numbers. I also cannot 'certify' that a W-6 part would fit, my sincere guess is that it would. I spoke with an older IH gentleman about this part and he said he used a replacement that came from an old IH combine. I have no idea what model that was, BUT once I get you the part number that  should assist greatly with your "long distance" searching.  It looks like you probably don't need the assembly drawing now that you have the excellent photos from SAM86. However, it is well for us users of this kind of throttle mechanism to heed the warning of how easy it is to break and the hassle of finding another one. I had to move mine from my original steering gearbox assembly to a replacement and I was VERY careful with that casting!

Thanks dwillis4.  Yes, if you could let me know what that part number is I would very much appreciate your help!

This might help.

20170717_215454.jpg

20170717_215522.jpg

20170717_215625.jpg

20170717_215931.jpg

It's interesting how originally the part numbers for the "Governor Control Handle and Hub" were the same for the 6 Series and the 4 Series, but that a later revision had resulted in different part numbers for the lower serial numbers. It sure would be nice to know why.

I have two w4's and the throttle levers are different lengths. Maybe that explains the two part numbers?