planejeff

Brands

I had my first tractor experience with my Grandpa's John Deere 1020. I believe I was around 3-4 years old. When my Dad bought his first Farmall I was in middle school. Ever since it has been Farmall's with the exception of a MH 22 (junkyard find), AC C (inherited) and Oliver 77(inherited). I have lean more towards Farmall tractors. So red or yellow caught my eye when surfing the web via Craigslist or Ebay. I see a tractor stop and click for details. Then find out its a Ford or MF painted yellow! I am like moving on without a second glance.      

So are there more people out there that have one brand and sticks with it or you a multicolored individual?

If so what is your number 2 brand? International :)

Which brand would you never own even if it were very cheap? I would say Oliver the brake configuration and John Deere with hand clutches. 

The machinery we make a living with is mostly JD.  My collection is multi color which includes IH tractors bought by the family in years last.  First tractor I ever drove was our IH 240U.  First tractor I drove and did some real work with was our JD 4640.  Have a couple of friends that are multi color.  One has a IH 656, JD 4020, and Case 1030.  Uses them all.  The other has his dads Oliver 77, his dads  MH 44, a IH Farmall B and a Toro.  

I'm an ih guy at heart. A lot of that is my dealer. Helpful and knowledgeable like none other. I can call one of the owners who is a mechanic and talk through a technical problem or diagnostic session. Not the Deere dealer. They're about as helpful as a brick wall. Took him 15 minutes to look up a tooth for a baler.   However my grandfather has an old jd 70 diesel and that tractor helped pay the mortgage for a lot of years so it's always going to have a spot in the shed. Same with my great grandfather s silver king model 42.  It was a big step up from horses and can stick around 

We have 4 IHs, a ford and Massey. I'm kinda partial to IH but it is because there is a dealer 7 miles from the farm. Plus they are good tractors. 

I dont think you can run fast enough to give me another Massey. I don't know about the new ones but I don't think much of the older ones. 

Wait not all tractors are IH?...

Really one of each.

My earliest memories of tractors was my dad had Fords, 8000, two 5000s, 4000, gray 4000, 601(little red) and a G JD that stayed hooked to a 6 foot box blade year round for scraping driveways and fixing terraces. The G was my favorite because of the way it sounded and it had that big spinning flywheel on the side. Then he got a new 9000 with duals and a canvas windbreaker on it, I didn't think they could make a bigger tractor until he traded off the 8000 for a new 1466  with cab and AC. Went red with all the big tractors after that. 

I used to go to Southern Cotton Oil Company (where he sold his peanut crop) with him whenever I could go. They had a fleet of letter series Farmalls that they used for moving peanut drying wagons around. I used to love just sitting in front of the office watching all those tractors running back and forth. There was also a nearby fertilizer dealer who used a few Super C Farmalls with nitrogen rigs mounted on them for sidedressing cotton and corn. I thought they were the coolest thing ever. I also had a much older cousin whose farm fleet was half Farmalls and half green tractors, I just always liked the red ones best.

My first tractor that I drove was a farmall 460, I started driving the small square baler when I was 7. It had to be on level ground though because I didn't hardly have enough lead to clutch in and hold the brakes at the same time, my #2 brand is a toss up between AC and Oliver/Cockshutt. I love and grew up on IHs though.

Just 2 red tractors here.  Many more red farms then other colors.  This, I believe, is due to strong local CIH dealer.

My grandfather was an IH dealer so I grew up believing  tractors only came in one color.

APF

I started out on a mixed farm,  I don't know witch was the first tractor I ever drove,  at one time we had several farmalls, 2 deeres and 2 old oliver 77's.   The only tractor that has been on the farm since I was born( in 1964) is the  45 M that my grandpa bought new.  A few years ago my dad said he was going to sell it.  I told him I would buy it,  he said "what the **** for" I told him just because it had been grandpas and I thought I would keep it.  A few days latter I stopped by and he had it in the shop working on it.  He cleaned it painted it and although we rarely use it if I have anything to say about it it will never leave the farm.  Now we have 11 red tractors on the farm 

Grandpa bought the farm in the early'40s . It came with a H Farmall and a JD B ? After two years he traded both in for a new H. We were all Red until '81 we bought a Kubota and an Allis 6080. We were all orange by the late '80s despite the fact that our mechanic said that the Allis chummers weren't half of the tractor that the red ones that were traded in on them. We had an Allis dealer with a good pencil sharpener and the IH dealership was pretty much swallowed up by the city ( Hobensacks in Ivyland) 

Leap ahead in '92 promotion we bought a demoed maxxum as 4 Allis Chalmers were broken down during the demo day. We slowly turned Red by 2000 despite the fact that we had 4 green ones in the early 2000s (every JD dealer sucks within a few hours drive from here ) we are all Red again

5 hours ago, bitty said:

Grandpa bought the farm in the early'40s . It came with a H Farmall and a JD B ? After two years he traded both in for a new H. We were all Red until '81 we bought a Kubota and an Allis 6080. We were all orange by the late '80s despite the fact that our mechanic said that the Allis chummers weren't half of the tractor that the red ones that were traded in on them. We had an Allis dealer with a good pencil sharpener and the IH dealership was pretty much swallowed up by the city ( Hobensacks in Ivyland) 

Leap ahead in '92 promotion we bought a demoed maxxum as 4 Allis Chalmers were broken down during the demo day. We slowly turned Red by 2000 despite the fact that we had 4 green ones in the early 2000s (every JD dealer sucks within a few hours drive from here ) we are all Red again

The strange thing is that the local Deere dealer sucks here too! I guess the Deere is what sells it not the customer service. The CaseIH dealer is a lot better when it comes to customer service and satisfaction!  

Multi color on our farm when growing up/ farm has been sold since.  started driving a 45 H along with a 47 H then graduated to a 88 row crop Oliver, thought that was great tractor. Went to a 730 Comfort King Case next and then another Case with a cab. WOW  air condition and heat and radio. We had to fight to see who was going to drive that tractor. I believe the last tractor Dad bought before selling farm was a Ford around 80 HP. Oh I forgot the little Super A in my picture. Used it for a lot of years on the farm and I still get it out and Plow garden every year, Use it mostly for belting up to sorghum mill. Dad never even thought about buying a JD. Just never did like them.  Pembroke

I have 20 or so old tractors. Most are IH, the few non-red ones are just so I don't forget how much better red ones are!

14 IH tractors from a 1981 1086 to a 1955 Farmall 100. Have my granddad's 135 Massey diesel without power steering. (I hate that tractor) and my wife has her dad's 4100 Ford (great little tractor) Red has always served my well and their easy to work on. I've worked on NCDA research farms and they were all green. Made me appreciate red even more.

My Grandparents were all red except for one orange amongst the apples. My Fathers Dad had an AC WD 45, not sure I remember it but it left in the sixties and was replaced with a 706. Both sides had H's, 300's and 350's which is what I remember growing up. An H was the first tractor I ever drove, or even sat on for that matter.

Almost all our tractors growing up were IH, though there was a JD B running around and a COOP. Also have a case frontend loader. Now as far as implements it was all over. McCormick plows, disc, Oliver this and that. New Idea, etc, etc.. A Farmall B was the first tractor I ever drove but the first tractor I ever rode on was the COOP.

Grandpa was a blue oval man from the day he was born until the day he passed, tractors, cars, trucks... So Blue oval had an unfair influence in my younger years riding along up until i was old enough to drive. My grandpa worked for the local county road crew and they would park the county tractors at the farm over the weekends when working in the area. The yellow county tractors were red inside and that's where the IH love affair started. I had/have a lot of respect for the 1000 series blue tractors but there was just something about the feel of the IH's. As i grew older and started working for other farms, i got to try a lot of different brands, Massey, Oliver , White , Valtra, BM Volvo, Lamborghini, Jane Doe, Allis, Fiat, Asian compacts and even the odd bi-directional versatiles here and there.  IH seem to always make my hearth race... in a good way... i guess that's what you guys call red fever :-)  the smell the sound the feel, there is nothing like a good old IH, Maybe its the hytran fumes  lol. Honestly i love pretty much all tractors but out of all of them, the Lambo and the green and yellow ones would never get to call my place home. 

I like IH.  Not really anything else.  That being said, I like IH red the most, but yellow and white too (Cub Cadet, haha).  The only other color I sorta like is AC orange only because Grandpa bought a B years ago and many times when I was younger when we'd visit the farm my Uncle would take me for a ride behind it.  The B and the 70 series are the only AC tractors I like.  

First tractor I drove was the '51 M thats out in the shop.  Was about 4-5 years old out helping Dad build hog fence.  Mom must have had something to do in town with my Sister that afternoon.  I stood between Dad in the seat and the steering wheel and drove where Dad pointed. Otherwise I was the Golfer, going for steel posts, wire, hammer, tools, etc.  After that I 'd drive the M thru gates in the hog pasture when doing chores,  drove the M running the hay fork pulling hay up into the back barn.  By the time I was 9-10 years old I started doing fieldwork with the Super M-TA,  and spent some time on a JD R spring of '64. It didn't stick around long. By about '64-'65 I was running the '39 H with no power steering. Mowing, raking hay, hauling feed and water to the hogs, cultivating with the M-TA. Even drove the tractor spraying corn and spraying weeds in the fence lines.  By the time I was 11 or 12 I was going to town 5 miles away for hog feed every couple days all summer and on Saturdays.  Me and a gallon or two of gas was WAY cheaper than the delivery charge on 5000# of ground feed.

The Money Pit 4010 was supposed to be a 706 or 806 in December '68 but none ever showed up on auctions within 50 miles of home.  Almost bought a 930 Discomfort King Case the week before the 4010.  It looked almost brand new.  But man that seat was up in the air.

Couple neighbor's had IH pickups,  local trucking companies all had IH trucks, LOTS of them. We had an IH deep freeze.  Not sure how we ended up with a GE fridge. Not much IH construction equipment around. LOTS of Case, loaders, TLB's.

With my time working at Farmall,  only one brand for me. It's 2150 red.