Sign in to follow this  
U-C

Happy Canada Day to all Canadians

Recommended Posts

Happy Canada Day (Juli 1) to all my fellow Canadian's on this Forum. 

I thought I would post the unofficial National Anthem of Canada The Maple Leaf Forever

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did you ever get the French in Quebec to accept the British flag on your country's earlier flag(s).

Does Canada still have any 'commonwealth' ties to Great Britain?

Except for a few stray 'ehs' and 'aboots' you all are some pretty good neighbors, and maybe someday I will get to make my drive up thru the Prairie Provinces.

Oh, Thanks for Ian Tyson (and Sylvia), and the people I worked with over the years, Randy Coyle from Calgary, may he rest in peace, Pat Hewitt from Sarnia, Ontario, and the man, whose name I cannot remember from Ponoka (?), Alberta. (Drank many a beer with him at the Grand Hotel in Niamey, Niger)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Art From DeLeon said:

How did you ever get the French in Quebec to accept the British flag on your country's earlier flag(s).

Does Canada still have any 'commonwealth' ties to Great Britain?

Except for a few stray 'ehs' and 'aboots' you all are some pretty good neighbors, and maybe someday I will get to make my drive up thru the Prairie Provinces.

The British conquered New France (as Quebec was once called) in 1760, France ceded New France to the British in 1763.

Canada is still a member of the Commonwealth (now known as Commonwealth of Nations Formally known as the British Commonwealth and before that was known as the British Empire).

You Guys down south are good neighbors too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Canada Day to all fellow Canadians on here too.

And thanks to you U-C.

Thank you Art as well.

This year marks the 150th year of Canada as a nation so there are lots of activities everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Canada Day also.  America is so lucky to have such a good neighbor to the north.

Love your hockey, love your geology, love your people, and I love your National Anthem.  Whenever I hear "Oh Canada" it touches me in much the same way I feel from our own "The Star Spangled Banner".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happened to happy dominion day ?  Same as Canada day ? 

,Anyway have a happy celebration , enjoy ,  all the respect for Canadian brothers and sisters !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, rjpont said:

This year marks the 150th year of Canada as a nation so there are lots of activities everywhere.

 It will be a soggy day in the capital, they're calling for rain and possible thunderstorms throughout the day.

 They're expecting up to half a million people on Parliament Hill today, lots of street closures, high security and rain, I think I'll avoid the area!

 Happy Canada day to all my fellow forum friends.🎂🇨🇦

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, U-C said:

The British conquered New France (as Quebec was once called) in 1760, France ceded New France to the British in 1763.

Canada is still a member of the Commonwealth (now known as Commonwealth of Nations Formally known as the British Commonwealth and before that was known as the British Empire).

You Guys down south are good neighbors too.

Very little being said about the Commonwealth of Nations and ties to Britain any more. Rarely hear about it. What would be good is to get a new organization called the Commonwealth of English Speaking Nations. This would include the USA, Britain, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and India and form trading blocks amongst these nations. With Trump cozying up to India this might be possible. For sure it would be a strong economic competitor and give China some competition.  

So Happy Canada Day to everyone and a Happy July 4 th  next Tuesday to our southern friends and neighbors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for reminding us Urs. And yes, it used to be called Dominion Day up until 1982. At the time one of our former prime ministers called the change " a cynical ploy on the part of Pierre Trudeau's Liberal government to curry favour with the electorate.". 
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-friday-edition-1.4167703/as-it-happened-the-archive-edition-the-home-episode-1.4167707 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, George 2 said:

Very little being said about the Commonwealth of Nations and ties to Britain any more. Rarely hear about it. What would be good is to get a new organization called the Commonwealth of English Speaking Nations. This would include the USA, Britain, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and India and form trading blocks amongst these nations. With Trump cozying up to India this might be possible. For sure it would be a strong economic competitor and give China some competition.  

So Happy Canada Day to everyone and a Happy July 4 th  next Tuesday to our southern friends and neighbors.

I agree with you we need a new organization that is called the Commonwealth of English Speaking Nations but we should also include Switzerland in that because it belongs to the oldest Democratic Republics in Europe (and is a sister republic to the USA).

-Urs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy day to our northern neighbors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Canada day you crazy Canucks......

IMG_0683.thumb.JPG.9f785bb944b365362598e49916afb16c.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy 150th Canada!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is another version of the Maple Leaf Forever

und the Military march 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Belated Canada Day! We couldn't have better neighbors. (It's easy to have poor neighbors many times in the world). I too well up when I hear O Canada; just as when I hear the Star Spangled Banner. I'm all for accepting Switzerland too, Urs. As you know I have some deep roots there too, back to 1250 AD. Gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, U-C said:

Here is another version of the Maple Leaf Forever

und the Military march 

 

I always liked the more rousing Maple Leaf Forever and it represented Canadian politics up to the 1940's. Afterwards, with the changing ethnicity of Canada due to large scale immigration from many countries, the words no longer represented Canada very well. By the time I went to school in the early 1950's,  "Oh Canada" had replaced it and even it has been revised several times since then.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here was Canada Day in Delaware Ontario.........we made sure the tractor pulling Mounties was red.   I may have had influence!

DSC_0048.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this