Sign in to follow this  
MTO

Dog containment devices

MTO    0

Well, got another call early this morning. 

Caller stated he found my dog in the medial strip of the 4 lanes about a mile from me.

When he said that., I feared he was dead or injured. 

Not so. Caller stopped and my dog ran to his car and jumped in.

I`m running out of options/patience with this half bred coyote. 

He`s about 2 now and I`m looking at invisible fences. 

Called "Invisible Fence" in Pittsburgh and they want $1500 min to do 1 1/2 acres in fence.

Neighbor bought his at TSC for $200 but has had trouble with light wiring that comes with kit so he bought heavier wire online for $300 more. 

Then he rented a machine to bury wire but didn`t say what that cost. Probably another hundred.

So I guess I`m looking at $600 minimum.

Anyone have any input/experience with these systems?

And yes, a 22 short has been mentioned by my wife but not me. 

She`s fed up with my phone ringing early in the morning by another driver finding my dog. 

His record so far is 22 miles away... sigh. 

And his name is Keaton. All the neighbors know him now. 

BOBSIH856    0

My German Shorthair does the same. I've tried the wireless fence where the dog wears a shock collar and the transponder gives the dog a 150' radius. It works ok. Right now my dog is on a chain and gets let off for supervised play time he sleeps in a kennel in the garage at night. County Sherrif's and state police know my dog and I've bailed him out numerous times.

rcb    0

Our neighbors have it. It works until the batteries run out. The dogs always seem to be testing it which makes the batteries run down faster. I've thought about getting one for our dog as he is on a chain outside during the day. I'm getting tired of chasing him down when one of the kids leaves the door open. Not sure if I'd want to count on it all the time, but as long as the batteries are good it seems to work.

jingles1928    0

Have had Invisible Fence brand for five years. Works great as long as collar batteries are up although after they get used to their territory they can travel in you won't need the collar. The only time I use the collar is if he tries to stretch his territory which isn't very often. If batteries get low you can buy them for half their cost at Batteries unlimited or some such place. They do provide batteries I think for a year or two, don't remember. They also come out and train your dog to the fence. Cost me 1700.00 to have it installed and they had to run under three driveways twice as they need a continous loop and I only needed it out by the road. Only trouble I've had is the gas company ran a shovel through it. One butt splice, piece of shrink tube and five minutes it was ready to go again. It does have battery backup should the power goes out. I did hear that there are some dogs that can't be trained to the fence but it is only two or three percent. Any questions PM me.

Dennis

I had the Petsafe pro installed on 20 acres 12 years ago for 2 grand and it worked great for about 10 years. Then I started having  problems with breaks in the wire and found that there must have been a rough spot on their cable layer as the wire is nicked about every 2' or so. I have replaced some of it but will eventually have to do the rest. Mine runs along the fence line so when I do, I'll just use landscape staples to hold it down in the winter and let nature take it's course. I have friends who have used; a chainsaw ( cheap Poulan bought just for that), a stick sidewalk edger and a rented Brown walk behind landscape edger with a straight blade. My sister did her 10 acre wooded piece by using cheap garden hose and running the wire through that. With board fence, you can staple it to the bottom board. Installation of the wire isn't that critical, don't over think it. Get the best transmitter you can afford and a collar with a replaceable, generic, 9 volt square battery. My Shepherd ignores the one with a CR2032 battery and I had to turn the 9v all the way up, but he stays away from it now. My old Collie female got hit once as a pup and never went near it again, even without the collar in her later years. As an avid dog lover myself, it's some of the best money I've ever spent. They have a lot of freedom and I never have to worry about them going walkabout.

lorenzo    0

They eventually figure out that they can run through it.

My big sister bought a trained border collie, by that I mean trained to herd animals,  he is amazing when it comes to bringing in the horses, I have never seen anything like him, it's like he completely understands what needs to happen. Problem is he wants nothing more then to be out in the pasture with those horses and will sit with them all day waiting for the command.   The invisible fence worked for about 6 months until his desire to be with them out weighed the fear of being shocked so now he just bolts through the barrier as fast as he can and takes the jolt.  Now that he has figured that out it's worthless.

They do work in most normal situations, unfortunately  not much is normal around here.

TomH    0

We had Invisible fence brand installed at least 15 years ago as we live close to the road and lost a dog only months after getting her. The system  itself has never been any trouble, the only wire breaks were caused by a certain someone who will remain nameless! I will say its amazing how you can find it with a shovel when your not looking for it. The collars are way too expensive like $300.00 and I've had one die once. The dead battery problem will depend on the dog. Beagles are not easy to keep in especially when rabbits are out at night. After some searching I discovered Perimeter brand, they have collars that work with IF at about half the price so if you need multiple collars they are the way to go. Also there is a red LED on the collar that flashes when the battery is starting to go dead which has been a life saver. ( Literally)  So... I'm saying that it might be worth it to get the IF brand then buy Perimeter for when you need additional collars. I buy all my  Perimeter collars and batteries (both brands) on Amazon or eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perimeter-Technologies-Invisible-Fence-7K-10K-Compatible-Dog-Collar-Receiver-NEW-/262718941124

I'll add, Make sure collars fit snugly, a collar that is just a bit too loose will not shock the dog and he will soon learn to run through it. Some dogs will never learn, others like one beagle in particular test her battery all the time and when its dead she says AH HAH! and heads out on a hunt. I presently have one IF and 13 Perimeters only one Perimeter has died in about 8 years.IMG_2401.thumb.jpg.189dc3346ec71d6dc72baf4899ac1e31.jpg 

rcb    0

I've considered adding one to the kitchen table to keep the cats off it. I love animals but the cats try their luck.

We have the Petsafe brand wireless fence for our border collie mix.  Works well for her, once she learned the boundries, she don't test it.  However, we tried it with a hound mix, and she wouldn't stay in.  Mom has one for her dogs, and it works until the collar batteries die.  It just varies dog-to-dog.  Its a $300 gamble.

AKwelder    0
2 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

We have the Petsafe brand wireless fence for our border collie mix.  Works well for her, once she learned the boundries, she don't test it.  However, we tried it with a hound mix, and she wouldn't stay in.  Mom has one for her dogs, and it works until the collar batteries die.  It just varies dog-to-dog.  Its a $300 gamble.

Same system here.  We have had good results. Do yourself a favor, get the dog shaved where the collar contacts hit its neck.  It makes it a bit more abrupt.  If it knocks em on thier keister from day one you can win, if they learn they can  tuff it out stubborn dogs will always try and out last it. 

Heck it has has turned a couple wondering mutts into model citizens. 

Dave Downs    0

I've had 7 dogs on an electric fence over almost 30 years with no problem. A lot of it is in the training; yes you have to train them. It involves marking the wire with little white flags, you stand by a flag and as the dog approaches (do not call him/her to you) and gets the buzz then shock you shake the flag and yell STOP! (or what ever you want to yell). The dog soon associates the flag, the buzzer and then the shock with a certain place on the  ground. Usually takes less than a week and dog will not go near the flags. Then slowly remove the flags, every other one.

I had one dog stand on her hind legs just out of buzzer range barking like crazy at a deer about 300 feet away.

I trusted it 99.9%, live near a busy road but wide open fields and woods out back.

Having said all that the dog I have now, hound/shepherd/??? is not even close to being trainable on the electric fence. He is plenty smart and is trained in the basics but he is food and 'prey' driven and would run through a wall of flames to get at anything from a bird on the ground to deer. He will sit but won't stay, won't touch his food until I tell him to and will go lay down if I don't feel like playing and I tell him to, but will go nuts over anything that 'doesn't belong here'. Had to build a 4' high wooden fence (cost a lot more than the wire!).

421malibu    0

use a pet safe wireless , batteries were a pima , had it on a aussie for 14 years worked good , like others said they try it till battery dies so you have to be on top of it , old collars kept shocking till batteries go dead or they come back , new collar stops after 15 seconds , new dog another aussie got a rechargeable collar , have yet to put him out on collar , training on commands supervised free running and large kennel unsupervised , aussies are about as blockheaded as they come but as smart as they come , biggest drawback is area of use is small 3/4 acre I think my new one is , if you go pet safe call them direct I have got all my units , collars etc way cheaper than any local retailers jmo Greg

All you guys with the run through's, are you using the 9v collars? It took my Shepherd a little while but he eventually got tired of the shock when crossing the line. He knows it's the collar as well. His favorite thing in the world is to run with the JD Gator when I ride around the farm and that caused the most problems with him crossing the line. The cattle feeder/ working pen, etc is on the other side, as well as, the creek, by design. If I go down there and forget to put his collar on, he follows and usually ends up in the creek causing extra work for me in cleaning him up. If I put his collar on before I go, he doesn't even leave the yard, which is a 1/4 mile from the underground fence line. He's old (11) so I guess it isn't worth it anymore to stand down at the line and wait for me to come back. When he was younger, he would constantly test the collar and kill a battery a month or less. Now he spends most of his time when I'm not here either under the forsythia bush at the back door, or downstairs in his crate. I took the latch off the storm door years ago and he can open it both ways, so comes and goes as it suits him.

vtfireman85    0

Mark, go buy the TSC fence, leave the wire, go to Home Depot get some solder, flux and heat shrinks and 3 500' rolls of #10 THHN wire. solder and heats shrink all connections, that crap wire they sell with the pet safe kits is useless, breaks if you look at it funny. And with the low voltage of a dog fence you can't afford bad connections, as you well know from auto and trailer wiring. 

bitty    0

We got eight panels to make a dog kennel set them up in a semicircle along the one side of the house it kept the kids in when they were younger to you could didn't have to keep quite as close of an eye on them. Our younger dog is relegated to the play area, the old one is safe outside unattended

We've held three different Rotties (at different times..one dog at a time) with the same Pet Safe fence for twenty years.  The only problem was two transmitters knocked out by lightening....if it storms unplug it from the wire in the ground.  The fellows that said training is important are correct....I spent a couple weeks with each dog every day,  some days we would walk it morning and night.   You start with a flag every ten feet or so,  then start removing every other flag every so many days.

My dogs all remembered the flags.   I know this because we have a pond in our yard with an aerator in it so that part of the pond doesn't freeze. I have two splices in the wire,  covered with painted rocks (so I can find the splices),  that I tie into and run an above ground wire through the winter so the dogs don't walk out on the pond and fall in.  I mark this wire with flags and as soon as the dogs see the flags they back away.

The dogs have the whole 5-acre yard and a1 acre pond in the summer,  and about an acre and a half in the winter.

We also use the " 9V Stubborn Dog collar"

You can get a transmitter and collar at most farm stores,  but as was said....get heavier wire (I can't remember what we used anymore) and rent a  wire installer....................it's not that big a job.

I'd recommend it to any dog owner.

russ    0

have had pet safe for 15 to 20 years till lightning got it two years ago and I've had approx. 12 dogs use it that being said almost all of the males {English Setters} would eventually find a way to defeat it by and large the females would submit pretty quickly and stay in the fence all my collars took the 9 volt battery's with two shock levels. the first dog to defeat the fence would get down on his belly and crawl up to the fence till the low level shock started then lay still till the battery died then get up and go his merry way liked to have never caught him doing this as he'd do it when I was at work and would always be home waiting for me when I'd get home like he could tell time too but led on collar would give him away next day same thing would happen till he was caught on a Sunday morning when I was home sick and seen him doing it. English Setter's are very smart dogs it appears and probably smarter than me russ 

MTO: Is chain link fencing not an option? I have border collie for wife's pet enclosed in chain link fence 40'x25' area. Stays there all day until we get home from work when we let him out to play and run. Pretty much stays in yard when we're with him. We play a couple hours and back in the pen he goes. On weekends he's out a lot more. Pembroke

MTO    0
5 hours ago, littlered166 said:

MTO: Is chain link fencing not an option? I have border collie for wife's pet enclosed in chain link fence 40'x25' area. Stays there all day until we get home from work when we let him out to play and run. Pretty much stays in yard when we're with him. We play a couple hours and back in the pen he goes. On weekends he's out a lot more. Pembroke

Oh, I have a 50 x 100 ring in the front yard I could add wire mesh to but I have had 30 dogs over the years here and they have all been loose and stayed close by. 

This guy is fed/treated very well but he just won`t stay. He`s kept tied on a 20` cable with a calf hut for housing.  I haven`t decided WHAT to do yet. Lots of good advice though guys and thanks. 

I`ll hafta get a picture of him and post this wkd. 

He hasn`t been loose now since the 4-lanes incident and oh you ought to hear the whining...

As bad as it sounds to keep him in a good-sized pen, it is far better than what will happen to him if he continues to run away.

And from the impression I get, he is too strong willed to be contained by an electronic fence.

Paystar5000    0

Have the pet safe underground with rechargeable collar for a border collie mix.  Works really well.  2 acres and collar cost 1700.  Took about one week of training.  She ran through it once and that did the trick.  When we trained her the trainer installer told us to put her in the truck and take her down the driveway past the fence to take her on a walk.  That was 9 months ago and she still won't walk out the driveway to go on a walk even with the collar off.  She really knows her boundaries. It's nice to be outside with her and not have to worry.  The guy who put mine in said there are more powerful collars for stubborn dogs.  Hope you can find a solution. 

MTO    0

Well, here is trouble alias Keaton.  Shudda heard him howling with the neighborhood coyotes last night. 

Oh, and he barks non-stop at gunfire or fireworks. Has been a long couple of days with tomorrow not over yet... sigh. 

That nylon Martingale collar is the only type I`ve found yet that he can`t escape. 

Look at those eyes!

Keaton (Medium).JPG

Keaton 2 (Medium).JPG

coyote.jpg

vtfireman85    0

Looks like shepherd markings, beautiful dog though, how'd you get him?

MTO    0
1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Looks like shepherd markings, beautiful dog though, how'd you get him?

Rescue. Tried to get a pic of his tail curled up but he was suspicious

He was mostly black when I got him but the black is leaving now and fast.