Hi All! I've been using this site a lot, but this is my first post.

So I grew up running the 2+2 tractors as a kid, and now have a 6788 that I want to restore back to its original glory...new paint, tires..... I bought this tractor in Montana and the history on it says it came from South Dakatoa.  The tractor is straight and runs good.  

It needs a new seat and I want to make sure I replace it with one that looks original.  From all I can tell, this is the original seat, it is grey, and the the rest of the interior is Western. Is that right?  (see pic).

The other question I have is about the steps.  These steps look more like the 3588 step.  All the other 6788 tractors I have seen have the black step that looks more like 5088 tractors.  Was IH using up old parts?  

I know its a lot of questions, but where is a good place to buy new decals and the black vinyl over the back of the cab?  Thansk everyone!

6788 seat.JPG

6788 step.JPG

Seat looks correct and was more brown when new I bet. Your step is off an 86 series two wheel drive. You are right you need the black steps, but they are specific only to the 2+2's. The 50,52 and 5488 steps are different.

Neighbor had a 6788 and that is the step that was on it.  Definitely not an 86 series step!  Notice how it is wider in the back.  86 series had a narrow step.  I think they made them like that on the 67 series so that with duals on the front, they would not hit.  That looks to be the correct seat but haven't a clue where to find a new one.  Might have to take it to an upholstery shop.  Should be a sharp tractor when you get it done.  Can't wait to see it.  Good Luck!!

jerry

Welcome aboard. I think that I have a sales brochure on the 6x88 series tractors around here somewhere. I'll see if I can locate it and get some pics posted for you tonight. 

Try Mike at Triple R Tractors.  He is a member here and knows his stuff.  Your door panel looks like the "Western" interior.  Mike can help with that stuff also I think.  

http://www.triplertractors.com/ih-cab-interior-parts.html

The seat doesn't look like any original Western seat that we have. And the steps look like they are off a late 30 series 2+2

Nice! I love 2+2's. Should be a good project. I've been looking for a 3388, but I've got tractors coming out of my ears so maybe best left for later.

I've got those steps on a 3588. They are different from late 86 series steps only in that the tread plate has a negative offset instead of a positive.

Only thing I could find was a 1983 Buyers Guide and a Super 70 series sales brochure.

The seat pic is from the Super 70 series brochure. Don't know if they shared the same seat as the 60 series or not.

The cut away view is from the 1983 Buyers Guide and shows the 50 series style steps on the 60 series 2+2.

Hope this helps a little.7488.thumb.jpg.7310fa29ce415c10c70dbae583087d0a.jpg

6788.thumb.jpg.2ad933ff1c081135ee2eb7f6112acebf.jpgthe

2+2 guys cutaway has the right steps. That is what they should look like. 

52 minutes ago, NY1468 said:

2+2 guys cutaway has the right steps. That is what they should look like. 

That is right. A 60 series would not have red steps. All the early ones had the exact same steps as an 86. When the 86's got the wide tread steps they welded some of them backwards for the 2+2's but not many. A 6788 would have the ones like 2+2 guy shows. My 6588 had those.

16 hours ago, SMOKER 1 said:

Neighbor had a 6788 and that is the step that was on it.  Definitely not an 86 series step!  Notice how it is wider in the back.  86 series had a narrow step.  I think they made them like that on the 67 series so that with duals on the front, they would not hit.  That looks to be the correct seat but haven't a clue where to find a new one.  Might have to take it to an upholstery shop.  Should be a sharp tractor when you get it done.  Can't wait to see it.  Good Luck!!

jerry

Sorry Jerry wasn't real clear on my step description. Same as a late 86 with the treads welded in reverse. Those 2+2 steps were very few. Most had the same as the early 86's.

This probably don't help much, but here is a pic of a new '81 3788. As it is in the pic it has less than 15 hours on the clock.

3788-'81.JPG

4 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

This probably don't help much, but here is a pic of a new '81 3788. As it is in the pic it has less than 15 hours on the clock.

3788-'81.JPG

Here is a picture of the steps on our 6788, and also a picture of the seat with western interiorimage.thumb.jpeg.53a0d838b592311ba4c8d9fd2501685d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2f0d6bffe95742475ca604c053645288.jpeg

Twosteppin, that's a sharp lookin' 2+ there. 

2+2 Guy--I always thought the 60 series had the front driveshaft coming off the left side like the 30 series. The cutaway view looks like a 70 series with the center driveshaft and what looks like a 50 series hydraulics setup. Is that how the 60 series actually were or is that a 70 series cutaway view?  Never driven a 2+2 but always liked the looks of them, maybe my assumptions are wrong, you know what "assume" turns into.........,

8 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

2+2 Guy--I always thought the 60 series had the front driveshaft coming off the left side like the 30 series. 

The drive comes off the left side still, but has a short shaft that goes into a transfer case bolted to the front of the rear end section.  It transfers the power to the center shaft to drive the front end.   You can actually see a good picture of it on OP's bottom picture above.  The cut-away doesn't show this very well from the right hand side is all.

The cut-away is still the 6x88 series, it has the small bar in the cab at the top of the console on the right hand side and the decals and front grille are 6x88 series.  Hydraulics are different orientation and location on the 70 series and would have a lot of hydraulics on top of the rear transmission section on its cut-away.

Concour with 5488Duke. 

Wonder if the OP has seen any of this information. 

Thanks Everyone!  So it looks like my steps are wrong, and the seat is wrong. 

Is the original seat the same as like the 5488 tractors?

Based on the picture maxuum 140 posted, I'd say yes. Looks just like the seat in my 5088. 

IHtakemymoney I love your name by the way!