Sign in to follow this  
Bud W.

Heat Gauge

Does anyone make a heat gauge with the actual IHC logo in the two foot length?  I need one for my H and one for my A.  I realize that the wire core is probably not available and is rubber encases; I can live with that, sorta but I refuse to buy the crappy IHC logs which are not correct.  Also my H oil pressure gauge is showing the pressure way to the left in the run side is this acceptable?

Pilot knob restoration has this one with a 19 inch lead

Screenshot_20170628-192821.png

I haven't heard of or seen any new gauges with the proper logo. I think we're stuck with poor repops or if you're lucky NOS if you can find them.

Pilot knob, good people, go for the good one, not the cheaper one, I put a cheap one on and it failed after a year, was planning to sell so I didn't splurge. Good company to deal with, stand behind their products and do nice machine work

This is something that has always bugged me.  It takes the same effort and equipment to make the gauge wrong, why not just do it correct from the start?  They obviously copied an original gauge so they have to know it's not correct.

16 hours ago, Bud W. said:

The 63783D has the wrong ihc logo, that's what I am talking about.

I ment the one above it 537570R1. It is the right one for an h and it has the right logo. I screen shot this. So that's why it IHC  emblem is on here

4 hours ago, metamora farmall said:

I ment the one above it 537570R1. It is the right one for an h and it has the right logo. I screen shot this. So that's why it IHC  emblem is on here

The 537570R1 is for the later letter series,I'm thinking 1948 and later.  My H is a 1944 model and it would have McCormick-Deering on the hood and would have used the ihc logo.  Later series used the McCormick name only on the hood and the man on the tractor logos on the gauges.   Someone may chime in on the actual year, i'm just guessing.

8 hours ago, farmall57 said:

This is something that has always bugged me.  It takes the same effort and equipment to make the gauge wrong, why not just do it correct from the start?  They obviously copied an original gauge so they have to know it's not correct.

I agree!  Why not look at the part you are making and make it correct.  I wonder how may people will be stubborn just like me.  I may use the newer model as the newer model was obviously used if the old on wore out and had to be replaced; I'd rather use it than a fake old model.

37 minutes ago, Bud W. said:

The 537570R1 is for the later letter series,I'm thinking 1948 and later.  My H is a 1944 model and it would have McCormick-Deering on the hood and would have used the ihc logo.  Later series used the McCormick name only on the hood and the man on the tractor logos on the gauges.   Someone may chime in on the actual year, i'm just guessing.

Well my 42 h has the original gauge I will take a picture of it for you tomorrow

9 hours ago, farmall57 said:

My guess is they were afraid of being sued for trade mark infringement.

13 hours ago, metamora farmall said:

Well my 42 h has the original gauge I will take a picture of it for you tomorrow

My '46 a has the ihc logo on it the '44 H has one like the one you mentioned I assumed it was replaced as it is two year older.

15 hours ago, Bud W. said:

You are correct. When I was rebuilding my 1941 H I put the 537570R1 style gauges on it. I did it because the 63783D doesn't have the proper IHC logo on it. I'd rather have gauges with nice logos than ones with poor logos. But that's just my personal opinion. 

15 hours ago, lorenzo said:

My guess is they were afraid of being sued for trade mark infringement.

Except that all the other logos are trademarks.... Maybe some day someone will make one thats truly correct.

39 minutes ago, FarmallFan said:

You are correct. When I was rebuilding my 1941 H I put the 537570R1 style gauges on it. I did it because the 63783D doesn't have the proper IHC logo on it. I'd rather have gauges with nice logos than ones with poor logos. But that's just my personal opinion. 

Agreed!  Hard to see but here's a real one on eBay.

•  
  • >
  •  

Farmall-IH-H-HV-tractor-amp-gauge-box-amp-IH-gauge-w-good-wire-wiring-harness

• Farmall-IH-H-HV-tractor-amp-gauge-box-amp-IH-gauge-w-good-wire-wiring-harness

6 hours ago, TomH said:

Except that all the other logos are trademarks.... Maybe some day someone will make one thats truly correct.

Agreed!  Hard to see but here's a real one on eBay.

•  
  • >
  •  

Farmall-IH-H-HV-tractor-amp-gauge-box-amp-IH-gauge-w-good-wire-wiring-harness

That's an ammeter.   My H has an ihc ammeter also.

The original gauges on my 1941 Farmall A were in not bad order but the tube for the temp gauge was broken. I replaced both gauges (so the logo was not as noticeable) and I settled for the slightly incorrect IHC logo, I was lucky enough to get my gauges before OEM tractor parts shut the doors ,and the have the Rochester Manufacturing Company on the outside edge face plate like the originals that most reproduction gauges do not have. I think precision tractor parts make and sell them them now

Marty,NZ. 

Original Temp Gauge original.JPG

Original Oil Pressure gauge.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

Gauges on my 1947 W4 have the two original IH logos.

IMG_1524.JPG

On 6/29/2017 at 6:33 PM, Bud W. said:

Here is the original gauge out of my 42 h. I just took it out because I'm working on the engine. 

20170703_161400.jpg

The factory temp Gauge on my Super H was broke when we bought it spring of '68.  I walked into my local IH dealer,  I went to school with the parts guy's daughter.  Told him I needed a new temp Gauge,  didn't even look behind him,  just reached behind himself on a shelf on the end of a row of parts bins, grabbed the box and set it on the counter and said, "It's a universal Gauge, fits everything from a Cub to an 806, you'll have to leave the cable to the sender wound up under the hood."  That was 49 years ago, Guage works and is clear and easy to read.  Has hash marks with numbers of degrees F.  Oil pressure Gauge was replaced a couple months later with one from a 350 probably,  has hash marks every 15 psi.  And when it was converted to 12V alternator it got a 60-0-60 amp gauge.  A 37 amp alternator buries the needle on a 20 amp gauge.

16 hours ago, frank.nl said:

Like this one ?

Screenshot_20170704-210139.jpg

I would buy one like this where is it available?

Steiner has the correct IHC logo ones. I ordered a set for our '44 H about a couple years ago. I'm not keen on the font, but the IHC was correct. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't War-Time Farmalls like the '44 supposed to have Black Ring gauges? I know I've seen them that way. The one in our amp box had a black ring, but had to have been replaced before we changed them out, cause it had IH instead of IHC, but a black ring. I'm assuming that gauge could have been made during the Korean conflict possibly. I know GM in the early '50s changed their some of their knobs to plastic and I was told it was because of the war. 

Go to precisiontractorparts.com for the real McCoys. Their gauges are made by Rochester in the USA and are double the price of the cheap Asian ones. I have bought the Asian Steiner versions and neither the oil pressure or the ammeter for my Super C worked. They would either stick (oil pressure) or flutter violently (ammeter) even after polarizing. I am going to throw them away later this summer when I get to it and get the much better OEM quality Rochester gauges. Twice the price is not too bad if they work properly. But I have the 686 and 966 in front of the Super C, so they will get dealt with first starting later this week,  I just finished the 656 today and it should be good for another 50 years.