Sign in to follow this  
farmall57

Sadly, IH to Claas combines

I've posted pictures several times and we've discussed the Linnebur farms at Byers, CO where he would line up 12 -20 IH combines each year prior to harvest.  I've driven by this for the last 25 or so years and looked forward to seeing all this take place.  Well, Gene Linnebur died a few years ago and I don't know who is running things now, but sadly, no IH combines this year, they have been lining up Claas combines since early this spring.  I took a (poor) picture when we drove by the other day, just doesn't look right without those red combines all ready to go.

combines.thumb.jpg.4977214cfeb9471c53a55ed54f14c814.jpg

Just did a google search on this farm.  If I have the right people they are the 87th largest land owner with 110,000 acres owned.  Wow!

1 hour ago, farmall57 said:

I've posted pictures several times and we've discussed the Linnebur farms at Byers, CO where he would line up 12 -20 IH combines each year prior to harvest.  I've driven by this for the last 25 or so years and looked forward to seeing all this take place.  Well, Gene Linnebur died a few years ago and I don't know who is running things now, but sadly, no IH combines this year, they have been lining up Claas combines since early this spring.  I took a (poor) picture when we drove by the other day, just doesn't look right without those red combines all ready to go.

It is their loss that's for sure.

The resale on those combines are HORRIBLE to say the least......around here anyhow.

When it comes to self propelled choppers they are the ones to beat. I don't have anything bad to say about our 15 year old chopper with 5+000 hours on it

14 hours ago, ST-470 said:

The resale on those combines are HORRIBLE to say the least......around here anyhow.

Bet they don't care. A lot of the farms like that lease or rent machines. That way they know the exact cost to operate and the company  maintains the machines 

Gentleman that harvest the wheat in Kansas does not own one piece of equipment. (Combines augar wagons tractors even trucks)He leases it so much per acre and so much per bushel. Dealer does all the maintenance and repairs. He knows his cost and is not paying when he is not running. He also get new machines every year and is not tieing up operating capital.  

18 hours ago, farmall57 said:

Used to be a custom combiner years ago would combine some for that operation. Then in the late 80s they bought new case ih combines and combined themselves.For a couple years  10 to 15 local guys would go down and run combine for them. They said about 30,000 acres harvested with 30 some combines. One of the guys that went down the first year was in his late 40s he used to help dad some but was pretty poor help for growing up on a farm. He was telling us they chased a coyote down the field and killed it then the morons proceeded to throw it into the combine while it was running. Those class combines aren't a bad machine just need a big pickup to haul parts to them. That is what my brothers buddy told him they had one after a couple newer caseih combines .