Hi all, I am asking about the US built Black Stripe tractors-

The 666, Hydro 70 & Hydro 100 were built up to 1976. The Black Stripe 766 to 1566 tractors were introduced in late 1975, so were any of those three models I've listed built in Black Stripe style as well?     

Regards from Michael H.B) Australia

P.S. The last Australian built 866 & 976 models got the Black Stripe styling as well

Hydro 100 yes because it's a large frame tractor same as the 7/9/10/1466, but I've never seen a small frame 666 or Hydro 70 as a factory black stripe. In fact I've never seen a 666 or hydro 70 even painted up as a black stripe.

There are some pictures on google images of 1976 666's that have white side panels.

No black stripe 666's or hydro 70's, they stayed white.

Hydro 100 went black stripe although you don't see many of them.

Don't forget the 1568 15941EC1-CC55-4FAF-B818-C12F3C7F5061_zps

here is a distance shot of a Hydro 100 I took in 2015

87C06CCD-0631-4E38-A33F-45330020C262_zps

Video of that tractor plowing

4 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Don't forget the 1568 15941EC1-CC55-4FAF-B818-C12F3C7F5061_zps

here is a distance shot of a Hydro 100 I took in 2015

87C06CCD-0631-4E38-A33F-45330020C262_zps

Video of that tractor plowing

Don't get to excited, that Hydro 100 was not a black stripe, was not a turbo, did not have ROP's and canopy, and was not MFD before it was "restored".

1 hour ago, SMiller said:

Don't get to excited, that Hydro 100 was not a black stripe, was not a turbo, did not have ROP's and canopy, and was not MFD before it was "restored".

That's fine with me. It was a black stripe when I took the picture and that's what the OP was asking about.  Not claiming it to be anything other than that. There were Hydro 100 BS models and that is a picture of one even if it started life as a one owner, low hour JD 4020. Who cares what the guy did with HIS money to make it what it is?

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

That's fine with me. It was a black stripe when I took the picture and that's what the OP was asking about.  Not claiming it to be anything other than that. There were Hydro 100 BS models and that is a picture of one even if it started life as a one owner, low hour JD 4020. Who cares what the guy did with HIS money to make it what it is?

x2

I believe the 1468 was never built as a Black Stripe as it was replaced by the 1568 before the update happened.

Regards from Michael H.B)

7 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

x2

Had no idea there was a following for fake black stripes, do you guys like fake gold demo's too?

10 hours ago, SMiller said:

The ROPS and Canopy and MFD were available as whole goods as dealer ad ons. First Colony Farms in Creswell NC ordered 150 66 series in the mid 70s. All were 2wd. They quickly found out the 2wd tractors were not cutting it on the high organic peat soils of the area. Mitchell Tractor started converting tractors to MFD and it worked. Mitchell Tractor brought in 3 tractors a week to convert to MFD. It took them a little over a year to complete the job.

1 hour ago, SMiller said:

Had no idea there was a following for fake black stripes, do you guys like fake gold demo's too?

Sure, if a guy wants to paint a tractor that he owns to look like a Gold Demo then that's fine.  Maybe put a black stripe down the side or the middle of the hood so it looks fast?  Just do a good job and be proud of what you have.  Paint it with a brush or a roller if you want to.  Just do your best with it.  I guess a guy needs to rip on all the tractor pullers too for painting farm scenes and flames on a tractor since that wasn't stock?  Wait, some of them don't have factory frames and that roll cage isn't a factory ROPS???  Go get the pitchforks and torches, we better run down his stuff too?   Bottom line is, no matter how you do a paint job or a restoration there will always be some jerk on the internet that will pick it apart because he has nothing better to do with his time.  

My apologies to Micheal H for this post being off the original topic.  I think your comment about not being any 1468 BS models was correct as far as I know.  

On 6/27/2017 at 10:11 PM, Michael Halsall said:

Regards from Michael H.B) Australia

P.S. The last Australian built 866 & 976 models got the Black Stripe styling as well

59539d55026e5_International866dieseltractor-BlackStripe-Australia.jpg.ba4235295fa279fafef2f04e20f2b949.jpg 

Australian 866

59539db42a58c_International976dieseltractor-BlackStripe-Australia.jpg.838a0a9f84f7ac03f9d7bf113a33c110.jpg

Australian 976

To be fair, the main concern is about what happens AFTER the person is done with their tractor. In other words, they pass on and their next of kin has no clue that it is not a real black stripe, and the auctioneer does not know it is not a real black stripe, and the guy buying it does not know it is not a real black stripe.

There is a HUGE difference between a pulling tractor which is obviously not stock, or a custom paint job that is obviously not stock, and something that was made to look like something that it is not, something much more valuable and desirable than what it really is. A white 1066 will bring average money at auction, but people will pay a premium for a black stripe.

I always thought there was more to a black stripe tractor than a black stripe on a tractor.  Gold demo's were just regular tractors painted with gold paint by a dealer.  The value seems to be in it's history.  Just like my Dad's or Granddad's ole tractor is worth a lot to me, but not much to someone else.  I just like the older tractors whether in work clothes or restored.  In the eyes of the beholder------------just my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Tickertoy said:

I always thought there was more to a black stripe tractor than a black stripe on a tractor.  Gold demo's were just regular tractors painted with gold paint by a dealer.  The value seems to be in it's history.  Just like my Dad's or Granddad's ole tractor is worth a lot to me, but not much to someone else.  I just like the older tractors whether in work clothes or restored.  In the eyes of the beholder------------just my opinion.

Gold demos were painted at the factory, they were to be REpainted red at the dealer before being sold.

SOME black stripes have '86 series "upgrades" as in the later they are the more '86 series items they had. I think a late '66 series is as good as they got.

45 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

To be fair, the main concern is about what happens AFTER the person is done with their tractor. In other words, they pass on and their next of kin has no clue that it is not a real black stripe, and the auctioneer does not know it is not a real black stripe, and the guy buying it does not know it is not a real black stripe.

There is a HUGE difference between a pulling tractor which is obviously not stock, or a custom paint job that is obviously not stock, and something that was made to look like something that it is not, something much more valuable and desirable than what it really is. A white 1066 will bring average money at auction, but people will pay a premium for a black stripe.

Does anyone have a list of the serial number break for each model where the "Black Stripe" update was introduced?                                                                                                         My understanding was that the update was more than just a different paint scheme, there were design changes that varied from model to model, particularly the 1066

The Black Stripe update serial numbers are given in the parts manual under the decals section. There were no other changes at those specific serial numbers. However there were a lot of other small changes ongoing just after the Black Stripe was introduced. Most were concerned with improvements to the front axle spindles and cylinder and running casting changes to accommodate the 86 series cab. Both the center section and the rear frame had additional mounting holes installed. There were other changes like the 6 spoke Wedge lock wheels for the 1066 and 1086. One change that came just before the black stripe, was the updated turnbuckles on the 3 point hitch for the 1066, 1466 and 1566. 

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

To clarify, I do not feel like people should intentionally make fakes and sell them for more profit but it is hard to knock a family for selling something that Grandpa painted before he passed away because they did not know any better.  FWIW a white 1066 around here won't have much price difference compared to a BS 1066.  A dealer option like FWA could have been had on any number of tractors when new or afterwards, so to take and add a ROPS or FWA can only add to the value of that tractor and is not dishonest.  Eason illustrated that perfectly.  

Im not a fan if these black stripe or gold demo fakes and replicas. They will be sold later down the road. I know better, i know exactly what to look for to prove a legitimate black stripe or gold demo. Most do not. I believe gold demos would be worth far more than what they are now if there wasnt so many fakes and replicas out there. Mecum and other auctions have no clue about tractors. They dont care they just want the $. Fake a yenko camaro and roll it into mecum as legit and see what happens.....different world of collectors and deeper pockets there. Lots of huge IH collections being auctioned off or coming up for auction. Im afraid theres more to come. No telling what fakes or replicas are in these auctions and will soon be scattered and the buck has been passed. Its gonna be a mess for my generation. When i do see a fake or replica sell for big $, that just increases the value of my legit tractors. 

Well said Brian!

If the dealers had kept a record of models with serial numbers it would have made it a lot easier to determine the real demo's.  I guess no one thought about the demos becoming so desirable by some.  Too late now.

Current model S/N registries are starting to provide a certain S/N range for gold demos especially 1456s. So far all the legit ones are in late S/N 12000s to 13375 being the higest legit gold demi know. Its not down to "it has to be a 1970!". Were beyond that, were getting in down to certian months range of production. 

4 hours ago, Eason said:

Well said Brian!

X2

17 hours ago, George 2 said:

The Black Stripe update serial numbers are given in the parts manual under the decals section. There were no other changes at those specific serial numbers. However there were a lot of other small changes ongoing just after the Black Stripe was introduced. Most were concerned with improvements to the front axle spindles and cylinder and running casting changes to accommodate the 86 series cab. Both the center section and the rear frame had additional mounting holes installed. There were other changes like the 6 spoke Wedge lock wheels for the 1066 and 1086. One change that came just before the black stripe, was the updated turnbuckles on the 3 point hitch for the 1066, 1466 and 1566. 

It sounds like the 66 Series Black Stripe models were "morphing" into 86 models that following them.

On 28/06/2017 at 4:11 PM, Michael Halsall said:

I believe the 1468 was never built as a Black Stripe as it was replaced by the 1568 before the update happened.

I don't believe there were ever Black Stripe versions of the 4166, 4366 or 4568 either.  Somebody here my be able educate me.