Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2017 crop pics

6 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I think there may be quite a few people with a shortage of hay this year. Best to grab all you can as I'm sure the prices will be pretty high again. I know some people that will not overcharge on the poor years as they know well enough that on the excess years people don't forget who they got screwed by and who helped them through. 

How's the weather holdingnout in the south. Getting some decent showers this afternoon.  Had a couple tentgs so far I'd guess. 

Nothing measureable although its been active weather all day. Coming home tonight the road got damp enough at one point there was no dust behind me but by the time I got near my yard it was dry as ever. Its not over yet so there is still hope. for a shower. I saw more burnt out canola on the gravelly hilltops today. 

Had 4 or 5 tenths here total.  Quite a bit of lightning around. Was sure lots of tornados floating around in Saskatchewan though.  One wasnt that far away from my sisters farm I don't think. Their land is around Leroy and halfway to lanigan from humboldt. 

Town I live in got an inch last night the farm 15 miles south got a little. Makes 7 inches in town and 3 at the farm.Just drove 120 miles west 25 miles south of the Canadian border and crops look good to fantastic along the border until you get to Kenmare nd then it is dry all the way west and south following Us hwy 52.

Nothing here we had a Tenth at 230 am with a couple booms a few nights ago but nothing since looking like sunday night might have something in it

Ag in motion show was good lots of walking, the crop trials were interesting to look at most of them were watered and fertilized heavy so they looked really good, I Found Soybeans really interesting but not ready to take the risk myself yet

At least it was cool today. Sunny and windy with no rain again. The crops on the high spots are showing burning from lack of moisture. I took this shot tonight of a wheat field that has some lighter high spots in it and you can sure see them well from 180 feet up in the air. 

Drone 15 2 (1 of 1).jpg

Sure shows up from above  rest of the field looks like it's doing ok yet though  

We're siting not to bad for moisture now thankfully. Might even be enough to fill the crops if it doesn't get to hot.  One more little shower in a week or so probably wouldn't hurt though.  Canola is still in full bloom so it's got a little ways to go yet. Oats are starting to head out pretty good now. Our barley isn't headed out yet though. 

3 pictures of same field. This is a 300 acre wheat field we farm the whole section on this field but split it half every year. The first picture is the better part and the 2 and 3 are the worse parts. Just one end of the field though the top part about 130 acres is thinner hoping this avg 30 bpa . Broke this all out of crp 5 years ago and was seeded into crp in early 88 the other driest year. The bottom picture you can actually see our soybean field a mile away over the lake and the wheat field is beyond that I took the picture of the sprayer tractor before.

IMG_1492.JPG

IMG_1493.JPG

IMG_1494.JPG

looks goos dale560 where abouts are you from??

took a cruise around and all the cereals are headed out and flowering the durum is about 1/3 developed so what you see is what your gonna get that is if it fills not bad, canola on the other hand is all over the map all seeded about the same time but some is done flowering and some in in full bloom yet

5 hours ago, wheatking said:

looks goos dale560 where abouts are you from??

took a cruise around and all the cereals are headed out and flowering the durum is about 1/3 developed so what you see is what your gonna get that is if it fills not bad, canola on the other hand is all over the map all seeded about the same time but some is done flowering and some in in full bloom yet

Rugby North Dakota. About 80 miles south of Brandon Manitoba  if I remember the mileage right.

3 hours ago, dale560 said:

Rugby North Dakota. About 80 miles south of Brandon Manitoba  if I remember the mileage right.

I believe Rugby to be the geographic centre of North America. Pretty sure that is on the decal of the Rugby hoist on my IH Loadstar. 

I'll just post an unedited drone pic of the neighbour's canola from a few evenings ago. You can see the lighter patches showing up where the blossoms drop off on the lighter land. Also those dark patches where nothing seems to be growing. I can't explain what they are but I see a lot of them this year. Maybe salinity patches. 

MAX_0041.JPG

Rugby mfg is still in business here. They got bought up buy a company that owns crysteel and a few other truck body companies. They make flatbed stake bodies mostly and contractor ,city dump boxes. Yes rugby is the geographical center of North America . I will have to take picture of monument. We could be about 100 miles south of Brandon I know  Rugby is 46 miles from border. The guy that started rugby mfg was a German immigrant from Canada.

A little different crop our cows this morning. This is the next 640 acres south of the last crop pictures i posted. 480 of pasture and 160 of crop that is fenced. We are exactly 1 mile south of last crop pictures.

IMG_1496.JPG

IMG_1497.JPG

44 minutes ago, dale560 said:

A little different crop our cows this morning. This is the next 640 acres south of the last crop pictures i posted. 480 of pasture and 160 of crop that is fenced. We are exactly 1 mile south of last crop pictures.

Looking good. How is the grass and pasture holding out? So dry here that there is little to no re-growth happening. Only in the low spots around the (gradually drying up) sloughs. This is one year I am glad I only have a few cattle to pasture. These past wet years they could not begin to keep the grass chewed down.  This is a shot of most of my "herd" last week when I spotted this little new calf had joined the herd.. 

New calf July.jpg

pastures are totally brown here the ditches are green yet the pasture is shot there is 3 quarters not far from me the guy hasn't put his cows into it and wont now, I'm still surprised by the amount of bales the hay guys has pulled of it more than I expected the price of bales will probably come up abit

looking at the radar last night all  the rain went north of us again so we missed

windy but cooler here today I gotta head to town for the first load of combine parts nothing to serious just small things this year which is nice

We have about 10 cows left to calve out of 200. So we get a newborn yet once in a while. The pastures could use some more rain hopefully get some this week or next. The little water on the ground is remnants of the .75 we got last Monday morning. This pasture we are putting a pipeline in to move water a 1/2 mile to the center of the section. This is real sandy hilly pasture we are trying to cell graze it and run 75 pairs on it instead of 50 we do now. We have 480 of pasture and 160 of crop that is wheat as soon as wheat comes off next month we will graze the stubble and odd spots in that field. The next section north is all crop but we have it perimeter fenced with electric so when that crop comes off we can graze ,feed cattle on that. We have a system in place we bring about another 60 pair that are all on the west side of the hi way and graze them on the crop land as long as we can into the fall. The cows on the east side of hwy go home onto some more fenced crop land in the fall. Then when winter gets bad we hop the west cows across the blacktop into the east cows only to start process over in spring.

Saw a post of facebook on the 306 farmers group that some guys were combining the 17 crop already. Peas down by swift current. Sadi they weren't running great though. Only 20-30 bpa. Which I suppose is good if they were dried out.

That's one thing I've never worked with at all. Cattle that is. They were all sold off by the time I came around. I caught the tail end of the pigs, that was bad enough lol.

Took this panoraminc shot tonight looking out across the one barley field. Didn't notice till now that I caught a little bit of a rainbow on the right.  Storm clouds were building up in the west and then around 8:00 it just fizzled out. Had a few little drops of rain when I went out on the quad but it quit right away. Did it ever cool off though. Was actually cold riding the quad tonight. Think it's around 50F now.

IMG_2316.JPG

ya i saw harvest has started, even in a normal yr if I can pull 30 bpa peas I consider that a success for me any ways I drove around abit outta my way home and found acouple fields of peas dessicated, not sure if I'm glad I didn't out peas in or not yet

Ralph what do you figure on flax this year glad you didn't or wish you did, we only grew it once about 15 yrs ago so I don't know much about it, with the warmer weather would combining be easier??

windy here all day and cooled down nicely after supper made working on the combine nice in the shed with door closed heard rain drops on the roof a few time but only added up to about 37 drops

It's been years since we grew peas but we used to figure 30-40 and we were happy. Now guys are pushing 40-60 with proper fungicide aplications and treatments. I've been thinking about growing some again but we don't have a header for the ih. Never swathed peas with the 4400 versatile but I'm sure it'd be no better then the 400 versatile was. We don't do much straight cutting so I haven't splurged for a header yet. Would like to get a nice draper header but it's all extra money. It doesn't necisaraly pay for itself very quickly. Thinking I'll just put that 10-20,000 into a swather instead and upgrade there in the next year hopefully. Didn't want to use it this year but with the sprayer purchase last year and repairs it's taken a pretty good chunk out of the piggy bank. Found a set of floater tires for it cheap but I'm waiting till I get all of my oats out. Still have about 7,000 bushels left to haul.

30 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

It's been years since we grew peas but we used to figure 30-40 and we were happy. Now guys are pushing 40-60 with proper fungicide aplications and treatments. I've been thinking about growing some again but we don't have a header for the ih. Never swathed peas with the 4400 versatile but I'm sure it'd be no better then the 400 versatile was. We don't do much straight cutting so I haven't splurged for a header yet. Would like to get a nice draper header but it's all extra money. It doesn't necisaraly pay for itself very quickly. Thinking I'll just put that 10-20,000 into a swather instead and upgrade there in the next year hopefully. Didn't want to use it this year but with the sprayer purchase last year and repairs it's taken a pretty good chunk out of the piggy bank. Found a set of floater tires for it cheap but I'm waiting till I get all of my oats out. Still have about 7,000 bushels left to haul.

I hear ya what ever you do it's not cheap we have combined peas with a CaseIH 1010 Rigid header with a pick up reel nothing special we had a 1020 but sold it it worked a little better I wouldn't mind a macdon or honey bee but I plan on moving up to a flagship machine in a few years so the 1010 will suit me just fine

I enjoy swathing I run a WDX1202 with a 36" header cut all canola a few cereals a year can cut to much due to weather or Wildlife the geese come here every fall and can clean you out before noon

didn't grow peas this year just after last years run in the mud and having to harvest 1300 acres this spring I was behind seeding as it was and then tractor troubles didn't help any either so just wheat-durum-canola here this year, usually SWS and barley as well but have only gotten Feed grade last couple years and wasn't penciling out very well any more working on what was my pea combine now and the hopper and unloading auger is just solid with mud I believe that is why I was snapping shear bolts so working on that tomorrow

Ryan, nice panoramic shot of the crop. It looks good. And you guys are right, it sure cooled down by evening, which will help keep our thirsty (dying) crops going for a few more days maybe. But it also raises the possibility of an early frost.  Hardly any bloom left on the canola fields by my yard so it might be an early harvest on that. 

Flax, I have only seen one field locally and it is nothing special. I look forward to not punishing my combine and myself trying to push that miserable wiry straw through the combine this harvest. No more watching for smoke at the feeder house or listening for the familiar growl of tight wrapped straw grinding against the inside of the combine body. 

I've never tried growing peas. There used to be a lot of them grown here and I still see a few fields. I'd be a little scared to swath them as I've seen some real disasters when high winds hit a swathed crop of peas. There were huge piles of swath left all over the fields and the only hope of harvesting was to use a pitchfork to feed them into the combine. 

Got no new crop pics. Maybe I should try and take a few pics of the cracks in the ground. 

peas and lentils have really changed the last couple days here a hot dry wind all day the canola is mostly done the top flowers burnt off but got word from the neighbour there is diamond back moth in the canola and a few are spraying for it but I'm not sure I'm gonna run around tomorrow and see whats up

the wheat is still looking good but still not filling yet it's seems to be getting some more height its above knee high now, some guys are starting to think the heads wont fully develop and be light bushel weight

still no rain in the forecast  

Brother by Osler said there's the odd canola field going down already. Everything's as green as grass here yet and just starting to fill. Barley is behind a little. Well everything's behind a little but that's just the way everyone's is around here this year. Was looking back 2 years ago at photos and my canola was completely done blooming by the 29th of july. This year it's still 30-40% left blooming yet. On the plus side it's been blooming hard for 2 weeks now so that should mean lots of pods to fill(I hope anyways lol) Couple little storms were brewing up just west of us this morning. They both split around us though. I don't think anyone got much anyways but every little bit helps.

Me and my brother were going to go on a little quad trip this weekend but with the way the temps are forecaster we said to heck with it. Gives me more time to finish up the swather anyways. Have to check the combines a little more too. Massey still needs a bath too,

neighbour figured 10 days and his will start goin down I'm a little nervous in putting mine down as I have a lot of short stuff and no stubble to hold it down, still working on equipment here as well the ends in sight I got 1 combine left to check over and a few small things on the other 2 and the swather needs some work after swathing in December it took it's toll on it

took a look at my canola again and it's done whats left for blooms are burning off still not bad looking stuff but could have been a lot better

Ended up with 3 tenth in my yard last night and close to 4 at my furthest south land should help with things keep the dust down for abit, maybe settle the grasshoppers down in the pastures

Here's some pics of our third cutting. It's been a struggle with the excess rain here. It was dryer for a week or so and then it opened back up

1501351253288889575792.jpg

For the most part our corn looks as good as it ever has even though it was a tiny bit late planning and it was kind of wet in some areas (or most areas rather ) when we planted it there's a little bit that's kind of drowned out but on that type ground in the weather we keep having we just left it as it was

Ive just about got the swather done now. Couple little things to do onnit and a annual fall tune up on the motor.  Don't think the combines need much but it's the sort of thing you always find something that mysteriously broke over winter lol. 

Went for a little quad ride tonight just at sunset. Did a little bit of crop checking on our sand quarter.  It's come a long ways since the last time I was on it. Was surprised I didn't see much for grass hoppers moving around either. They may have been hiding already though as it was starting to cool off.  Canola is up to my neck now in some places.  Down in the swampy part of the quarter where it was so wet this spring. Must've been a little extra moisture there to keep it going before we got this last rain. 

Quad is hiding about 15' away  

IMG_2326.thumb.JPG.810881e913bc073d3064bb7c697a64c4.JPG