Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2017 crop pics

Protein should be up on the wheat this year anyways.  Hopefully it fills out nicely for you guys. No wheat on our farm this year. Just a little bit of barley and the. The rest is oats and canola. So far it's all looking good but we haven't had any measurable rain for 3 weeks either pushing 4 weeks now.  Couple little showers just enough to settle the dust more or less.  Hope we don't get a whole bunch in August and sept like some years.  Got a feeling once it starts it won't quit again.  

Went and worked my summerfallow tonight lol. I had left a little strip between the oats and barley  didn't quite get all the wild oats sprayed so I took our little yard tractor and tiller over and worked it up with that  did a couple little sloughs while I was at it too  

IMG_2265.thumb.JPG.1948b98c881df9e3a227d9e6886d563a.JPG

Pic is in the same spot as the last canola picture I posted 5 days ago.  Mine was seeded a couple days later but is surprisingly ahead of dads at home   Might go out tomorrow and have a look  IMG_2268.thumb.JPG.eb22026e468396703f6e61a884c0d999.JPG

49 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Pic is in the same spot as the last canola picture I posted 5 days ago.  Mine was seeded a couple days later but is surprisingly ahead of dads at home   Might go out tomorrow and have a look  

Your canola looks pretty good. I don't know if I'll post the drone pics I took of mine yesterday evening. It is pretty ugly when you can see all the bare patched from up above. They don't show from down on the ground. I'll post this video link I shot of a neighbour's canola field a few days ago. 

Your neighbours  looks pretty good. I bet yours will all fill in too. Canola is quite the plant in a way. It doesn't take much to make a crop. I've seen some god awful crops in June/July that turned out pretty good by August. We've got one quarter that's mostly sand. Where it's pure sand the canola is extremely patchy.  It should've been sprayed again on account of millet but I hate to spray it when it's under stress like this too. Did that a couple years ago and it really knocked the heck out it.  Was out looking for signs of sclerotinia this morning. Didn't see anything yet but I need to take a closer look. Debating if we should spend another 15-20 bucks a acre just on fungicide.  

On 7/15/2017 at 11:50 AM, poor farmer/logger said:

Your neighbours  looks pretty good. I bet yours will all fill in too. Canola is quite the plant in a way. 

Yes, it does not take a lot of plants to fill in the gaps but if we don't get any rain it is going to stay a little thin i think. Today was another hot one, probably the worst yet. Near the 90 mark and strong south winds. I heard storm and tornado warnings for the West side of the province so I guess you guys might have got some weather today. 

This was the neighbour's canola field to the south of my yard today. Still flowering good. I noticed mine was getting a little pale yesterday just looking from the tractor. I need to go in for a closer look to see what it is doing. 

Canola July 16.jpg

Was quite nice out this morning and then around noon it cleared off and got quite hot. We were around that 90 mark most of the afternoon too. I took off around noon on my quad and went crop scouting/touring. Wanted to see if there were any signs of sclatatinia in my canola. Couldn't find anything. I suspect the dry dirt is helping us in that regard.  Needs a good soaking rain. Top is starting to get pretty dry now. We're under a thunder storm watch now but it doesn't look like it's going to amount to much.  Canola here doesn't look like it's going to get very tall this year. It may stretch up a little more but I don't think it's going to be like some years.  Few pictures from today's little trip   Some spots in my canola are a little patchy too  

IMG_2271.JPG

IMG_2273.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2283.JPG

IMG_2284.JPG

IMG_2285.JPG

canola here looks ok not great but ok it's shorter than I'd like, same as the wheat the heads are a nice size but it's short like really short

Rain clouds went around again today close but no cigar it was painful I could see them but they shifted north I heard of some hail in it to but no confirmation yet as well as a tornado warnings

poorfarmer/logger did you get any rain or hail ?? I saw on facebook chitek lake got hail again

There was a storm cloud brewing up here about 6:00 and it just disappeared. Clear skies right now again. Might go see if there northern lights are shining tonight or not. Heard there was supposed to be a good light show tonight. We're going to need a rain in the next week or sooner. Crops are going to start suffering and not filling if we don't get rain I think. Roots are going down fairly deep this year at least. That's the only saving grace. The sub soil moisture is starting to disappear though. Sloughs are starting to shrink now too.

ya I'll second that it's quite a amazing thing to see how green things are so far with little moisture all year, I looked at the first durum tonite and saw it starting to fill squeeze and a little zit popped out

It was hotter than the devils place today with the wind it's cooled right down to 13C already the wind blew the smoke from BC here so it sorta hazy around here

Something got lost in that last post I made lol. Fixed it up now. Ya it could turn nasty yet. Crops look decent but who knows. Little bit of smoke here too. Think the cool air is bringing it down. 

Just as I sit here typing on the computer I just saw a lightning bolt in the west. Maybe there's some hope yet. Thunder just cracked so it's a little ways off yet though.

Yes, the big white combine could be in some of those storms along with the rain. I'm hearing a little static on the radio from lightning but there is nothing close.  We are just lucky to have not had extreme heat yet like in 1988. I don't want to see another year like that one but so far we have had less rain than we had in 1988. Lucky we started out with good subsoil moisture this year. 

Wheat on the gravelly and light hill tops are starting to look a little light coloured, maybe burning from the heat. I just did a little flight over my nearest wheat field this evening and its looking good for as little rain as it has had. .

MAX_0032.JPG

The drone sure gives a quick perspective on how the field is doing. Looks good

Our little rain shower blew over already. Lasted maybe 2-3 minutes. Might be enough to wash a bit of dust off of some of the leaves. Probably be dry by morning again I imagine though. Was quite a bit of lightning with it thought maybe there'd be a bit more but nope. Oh well tomorrow's another day.

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:22 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

The drone sure gives a quick perspective on how the field is doing. Looks good

Our little rain shower blew over already. Lasted maybe 2-3 minutes. Might be enough to wash a bit of dust off of some of the leaves. Probably be dry by morning again I imagine though. Was quite a bit of lightning with it thought maybe there'd be a bit more but nope. Oh well tomorrow's another day.

What about now I swear every time I look at the radar your getting some rain up the Prince Albert way

still nothing here kinda looks like something is building but then nothing I think the smoke from BC is making it look that way

Still no rain here either but at least it is staying a bit cool, especially at nights. Barely 60 degrees this morning so that will give the crops a break.Cloud or maybe its smoke in the air this morning but no rain forecast. 

I took this pic of the little field of oats on oats yesterday. Looking good so far. 

IMG_3986.JPG

We finally got some last night. 3/10" total. Not alot but It's sure better then a kick in the backside with a steel toe boot lol.  No water puddles laying this morning. Everything's soaking in very quickly. I emptied out the one water tank yesterday afternoon, had maybe 200 gallons left in it. Within a hour or 2 the ground was dry again.  Supposed to have a guy coming out to look at the oats and barley this morning to see about spraying them. Canola is good this year don't have to worry about it.  It's in full bloom now finally. It has stretched up a little bit but is still a lot shorter then the last couple years. Lots of blossoms on it though so hopefully they fill right good. 

Is that you oats on oats Ralph? Looks clean so far. We've got a few wild oats poking up on ours this year. One quarter more so then the other.  Not enough to be a huge deal I don't think just means there'll be more to spray out next year again. 

This is a wheat field I sprayed fungicide the other day. I think this one still has some pretty good yield potential. It was before our shot of rain

IMG_1477.JPG

Some more pictures of same field. We seed with a concord and Dutch openers the second picture show the 3 inch spread and nh3 goes into the middle of the row. This field had 2.4 inches of moisture at the time of picture since snowmelt.

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1476.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

14 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

We finally got some last night. 3/10" total. Not alot but It's sure better then a kick in the backside with a steel toe boot lol.  No water puddles laying this morning. Everything's soaking in very quickly. I emptied out the one water tank yesterday afternoon, had maybe 200 gallons left in it. Within a hour or 2 the ground was dry again.  Supposed to have a guy coming out to look at the oats and barley this morning to see about spraying them. Canola is good this year don't have to worry about it.  It's in full bloom now finally. It has stretched up a little bit but is still a lot shorter then the last couple years. Lots of blossoms on it though so hopefully they fill right good. 

3 tenth aint bad better than nothing I'd take it I though there would be more considering the cell that was on the radar they got 60% chance of showers for 2 days then back up to plus 30 so I hope to get something

planning on heading into the AG in Motion show in Saskatoon tomorrow so i'll see what I find there other than hot weather

We've got the same forecast here too now. I was going to go to Ag in motion too but ended up buying a tire for the swather on a online auction so I'm headed for Hudson Bay today.  Deal was to good to pass up. New good year 18.4x16.1. 120 bucks. It's a diamond tread that's the only downfall. They're absolutely useless in mud. Heck you can almost get stuck driving on the grass lol. 

Wheat looks good dale560.  Lots of guys just getting going on fungicide now here. Crops are a little behind. 

6 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

We've got the same forecast here too now. I was going to go to Ag in motion too but ended up buying a tire for the swather on a online auction so I'm headed for Hudson Bay today.  Deal was to good to pass up. New good year 18.4x16.1. 120 bucks. It's a diamond tread that's the only downfall. They're absolutely useless in mud. Heck you can almost get stuck driving on the grass lol. 

Wheat looks good dale560.  Lots of guys just getting going on fungicide now here. Crops are a little behind. 

I wasn't going to do fungicide this year just because everyone was talking how bad the crop was. Using generic for $ 2 an acre with the adjuvant. Keeps the flag leaf healthy if nothing else . Should be spraying grasshopper out but insecticide makes you jumpy. That is best part of 160 field though I hope it fills and makes 40 bpa. That stand last year would have filled more and stools would have filled and been in the 60 bpa range

About our hottest day yet at just over 90 degrees. I am starting to see some crop damage on the hilltops on lighter land. Those light spots show up in this picture of the neighbour's wheat field. I saw some in my canola too. Not many flowers left on the early field. Hope there is some moisture to fill the pods now. 

Hilltops burning.jpg

Forecaset floating around on facebook from these guys this afternoon. Hopefully you don't get hit with the hail. I think they've been blowing these storms out of proportion a bit but I guess you can never be to careful.

image.thumb.JPG.fb873aa8820d18fde79b5fc350012619.JPG

Crops are doing good here so far. Dad's still up in the air if he should spray his oats or not. need 3 bushels a acre just to cover the cost at 3 bucks a bushel.That's nothing for the sprayer or the fuel either.

9 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Forecaset floating around on facebook from these guys this afternoon. Hopefully you don't get hit with the hail. I think they've been blowing these storms out of proportion a bit but I guess you can never be to careful.

Crops are doing good here so far. Dad's still up in the air if he should spray his oats or not. need 3 bushels a acre just to cover the cost at 3 bucks a bushel.That's nothing for the sprayer or the fuel either.

I see that warning on twitter as well. And I am right in the yellow zone. Could get the rain we need, and maybe some things we don't need. Strong winds overnight blew down a curling rink at Strongfield. 

You can  see a little of my fading canola crop in this video I shot yesterday evening while baling up some more hay. The hay crop is short and thin this year so I'm picking up a bit of extra where I can in hopes  of  having enough for the cattle through winter. Worst comes to worst I can cut some of the oats for green feed and bale that too. 

I think there may be quite a few people with a shortage of hay this year. Best to grab all you can as I'm sure the prices will be pretty high again. I know some people that will not overcharge on the poor years as they know well enough that on the excess years people don't forget who they got screwed by and who helped them through. 

How's the weather holdingnout in the south. Getting some decent showers this afternoon.  Had a couple tentgs so far I'd guess. 

56 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I think there may be quite a few people with a shortage of hay this year. Best to grab all you can as I'm sure the prices will be pretty high again. I know some people that will not overcharge on the poor years as they know well enough that on the excess years people don't forget who they got screwed by and who helped them through. 

How's the weather holdingnout in the south. Getting some decent showers this afternoon.  Had a couple tentgs so far I'd guess. 

We have a landlord we put up 300 bales on and he thinks we should pay him the most money for his hay every year. He gets third share and wants 45 a bale for his share most years for junk hay now this year he wants more. Everyone else we rent from is in the 24 to 30 a bale year in year out for better hay and  1400 to 1500 lb avg weight