Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2017 crop pics

9 hours ago, Loadstar said:

If I had to take a wild guess I'd ask if that crop is soybeans? I have never seen the crop although I hear some are trying it in the area this year. 

Yes, soybeans. non-GMO food grade.

25 minutes ago, amsashooter said:

Yes, soybeans. non-GMO food grade.

Interesting. I'll have to look into them. Since I've given up trying to harvest flax maybe soybeans might be an alternative crop. Surely they can't be as hard to put through a combine as flax straw?

Thanks for picking up the slack for me everyone lol.. Still playing catch up here. Got the first round of spraying all done a couple days ago finally. Had some nicer weather last week so we managed to finally put that to rest. The way it looks right now I don't think we'll have to do a second shot either. Will know for sure in a few more days. Hoping we don't have to spend more. Input bills are high enough as it is. Scared to look lol..

Crops are doing pretty good here so far. Canola has sure come a long way in the last week. Another week and it will be bolting. Still about 2 weeks behind usual I think. Cereals are coming along nicely too. Hopefully we don't get to much rain here so disease sets in again. Going to try a little bit of fungicide this year I think if I can ever get this bloody sprayer up and running. Having power issues with it now. Near as I can tell it's not building any boost. Not sure if it's the boost sensor causing it or if it's fuel related yet. Hoping to get it hooked up to the computer later this week.

Took this pic of my canola tonight.

IMG_2229.thumb.JPG.07b6ae4df0429e38020562e90b807b32.JPG

canola looks good, I have used fungicides in the past but never seemed to work out (all weather related hailed one year and left the crop out last year) 

went out this afternoon took a walk around the yard and headed back to the house 29C here this afternoon environment Canada has 36 Celsius for Saturday that could start to burn everything up now if we don't get any rain in the next while but the number seem to change everytime I look so hopefully it wont get that hot

On 7/2/2017 at 3:39 PM, Loadstar said:

That is the big gamble. We never know how much rain we wiil get in July/August. For several years now we have had enough and more rain. This year is turning out to be different. 

Soybeans need that one rain in the end of July or early august to fill or else they don't yield well. Last year we had the best soybeans ever the year before no rain in late summer the worst we ever raised.

6 hours ago, wheatking said:

canola looks good, I have used fungicides in the past but never seemed to work out (all weather related hailed one year and left the crop out last year) 

went out this afternoon took a walk around the yard and headed back to the house 29C here this afternoon environment Canada has 36 Celsius for Saturday that could start to burn everything up now if we don't get any rain in the next while but the number seem to change everytime I look so hopefully it wont get that hot

I think it was close to 31C here today. That heat could start to hurt us pretty soon when the canola is blooming. And its just starting. That is mine in the background of this pic taken today while I was cutting the short crop of hay. 

2090 haying 2017.jpg

This was just a few minutes ago. Hopefully the white combine doesn't clean us out already. First storm blew over already but the radar shows one more coming through in about half a hour. 

IMG_2232.JPG

20 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

This was just a few minutes ago. Hopefully the white combine doesn't clean us out already. First storm blew over already but the radar shows one more coming through in about half a hour. 

IMG_2232.JPG

Golly I heard a strip went through up there I heard a chitek had some big stuff a few locals have cabins up there are I heard a few might need shingle jobs now, I put my hail insurance on today so I'm sure it wont hail now, we figured if we don't get any rain in the next 7-10 days we are done, it's doin really well so far surprisingly my durum is heading out and canola bolting the last field is starting to bolt, me and a neighbour couldn figure out what would be better canola just starting to bolt or be in full bloom theres lots of each around here

Got lucky last night no visible damage here or on the fields that we looked at. Didn't check my canola as it's 9 miles away on a road from **** so hopefully it's ok yet. No insurance anyways so what's there is what there I guess if it did.  We're not to bad for moisture yet but that could change in short order if it stays above 30 for a couple of weeks. One good thing is the canola is basically covering the ground now so that should help conserve a little.  None of ours is bolting yet next week it will be though I think.  Just bolting would be better now I would think. Could run into problems with pods forming if it turns to a drought right away.  Crops are sure growing like crazy in this heat anyways. 

Should be a pretty good run for haying now by the looks of things. Hot and dry is the forecast. Guys are cutting like crazy around here now. Yields are maybe down some looking at some of the fields. Some fields there's a heck of a first cut on them though. Crops are growing like crazy in this heat that's for sure.

Mom finally got her hip operation today. So far everything's going good. Been a year long wait so she's glad to finally have it done.

On 7/2/2017 at 11:36 PM, Loadstar said:

Interesting. I'll have to look into them. Since I've given up trying to harvest flax maybe soybeans might be an alternative crop. Surely they can't be as hard to put through a combine as flax straw?

The first year we grew soybeans the straw was just basically a fine red dust coming out of the combine. The next time it was damp and getting late and they were really tough o go through. Didn't want to smash up at all. Really hit and miss up here. The short varieties will grow good but gotta have the moisture and a warm spring. Last year and this year I don't think they would've made it here. But I'd still rather grow beans over flax. Even though we are in about the shortest growing season of all of Manitoba

Brandon Spring wheat today . I took this quick shot while raking hay this evening. My wheat has no heads showing yet but the neighbour's fields are almost fully headed. Its not a tall variety and I think this year it might be even shorter. 

Wheat July 6.jpg

my durum is just really starting to head out looks like an ok crop the heads are not bad considering what were under weather wise just hope they start filling, looks like most of the early cereals will make the old timer saying heading out before the 12th of july

last field of canola is really struggling to get up and go it's just goin into bolting and hurting bad, Monday is looking like our best chance for a shower 60% chance at least the crops are big enough any rain should stay under the canopy so I hope we get something even a thunderstorm would be good with no hail to cool it down and make it wet

next 2 days should be interesting it's a guaranteed plus 30 heat I thought today was bad enough at 27 the grass in the yard is done I've put water on my front lawn a few times and it only shows alittle bit.

Ralph that's a nice looking stand you got there hope the whole field looks like that and you get a rain soon

About 200 miles south of you guys the crops are really struggling.basically the western half of North Dakota is looking at half or less of normal yields around our area we are in dry spot and crops are struggling but about 5 miles north and the northeast corner of the state have a nice crop. The durum and wheat areas for the most part are going to have a poor crop.

9 minutes ago, dale560 said:

About 200 miles south of you guys the crops are really struggling.basically the western half of North Dakota is looking at half or less of normal yields around our area we are in dry spot and crops are struggling but about 5 miles north and the northeast corner of the state have a nice crop. The durum and wheat areas for the most part are going to have a poor crop.

That is what I have been hearing too. I have to say the cereals are looking very good around my immediate area. Canola has more fair to average crop than good. In fact there are some downright patchy ones. Hoping  to take the drone up for a birds eye view. That really shows them up. 

Near 80 degrees by noon already and higher temps are forecast. Not good for baling either but I'm hoping to roll up some bales this afternoon. if the baler will handle the dry hay.Needless to say the hay crop is not that great here.  

Tried baling hay this afternoon but it was too dry to go through so I waited til evening when the humidity came up a bit. Took the drone up in the heat of the afternoon for a look around. Not my canola but the neighbour's showing here in this shot. The bloom is just starting but hardly shows from this angle. The bare patches are fairly typical of canola around here this spring with germination issues. 

Canola July 7.jpg

Our canola was patchy for a while but it's sure filling in nicely now. Still nothing really blooming here yet. Odd early field but not much.  No rain here so far. We're ok for a bit yet but a little shower wouldn't hurt. Heard talks of 2 inches coming up here this week. Sure don't want that here. I drive the rogator sprayer through one hollow the other night trying it out and I still cut 6" ruts going through there with the sprayer.  Finally got it basically done and out of the shop. 

Took a few pics tonight while crop checking on the quad. 

Oats 

IMG_2239.thumb.JPG.b1030df91c027bd78a092f2898328d22.JPG

barley

IMG_2241.thumb.JPG.1acea0e38525707650e1d1e39588e9f6.JPG

Different field of oats 

IMG_2248.thumb.JPG.5198a293adf04dc5dff41ad9d30cc2eb.JPG

First seeded field if canola just barely starting to bloom  

IMG_2251.thumb.JPG.ea50f53408e197a1930fef7fa7693e10.JPG

Those crops are looking good and healthy. Actually I'm amazed how well ours are standing up to this dry spell considering I don't think we have had an inch of rain since winter. And there was not much snow. Days like this with close to 90F temps and strong SE wind are hard on blooming canola. I took this shot of my latest wheat field this evening. Its short, not even knee high and about to head out. AC Brandon is a shorter variety anyway but I think it grew taller than this last year. 

Merc Wheat July 10.jpg

Hopefully you get a shot of rain so it can fill. Don't need all that straw to put through the combine anyways lol..  Crop looks good though anyways. Black and white it would be a perfect shot from years gone by. Well I guess there wasn't really any canola then but none the less we still had mustard so it could still count lol..

How'd you do today wheatking? get any of that rain or storm that hit saskatoon? guess it made a bit of a mess of things. Gets bad when the tornado hunters show up to sask to go check things out.

So far we've missed out on the rain today. Real dark band went south of us about 20 miles. friend a few miles further south then that again said it was really pouring down there with lots of thunder and lightning.

Canola fields are getting a little more yellow each day now. By the end of the week there should be lots in full bloom. Still at about that 2 weeks behind. Was hoping with the heat we'd catch up a little.

were getting a little sprinkle as I write this wont amount to much I don't think as I don't even see anything on the radar, the weathernetwork was saying 10-15mm so I was kinda getting excited but figured it wouldn't amount to much

Everything is looking ok first seeded durum looks really good, most of canola looks really good except 1 field it was badly infested with dandelions this year I smacked them with a liter of round up and got them but they dryed out the land bad and the rest of the wheat is comin but behind prolly 2 weeks to heading out out yet  

I see Saskatoon really got hit south of Saskatoon is a write off from what I see on facebook

Still no rain here although there was light mist on the windshield yesterday. Needed to run the wipers a bit yet there was still dust behind me on the gravel road. Cooler conditions give the crop a break from the heat but they say it is coming back later this week. Canola fields are really turning yellow now and some look half decent from the road. Its a different story from the sky at least on some of them. This drone shot shows how patchy some of the emergence was this year. Not my field but it was the closest one within drone flight this morning. 

Patchy canola.jpg

we ended up with 3 tenth during the whole day seemed like more as it was comin down but that's what the gauge better than nothing I guess

drove around abit and the crappy canola of mine is getting taller and has lots of bulbs yet to open up then it should look better and the later wheat is goin into flag leaf so within a week I figure it should hopfully heading or very close to heading  

On 7/10/2017 at 11:18 PM, Loadstar said:

Those crops are looking good and healthy. Actually I'm amazed how well ours are standing up to this dry spell considering I don't think we have had an inch of rain since winter. And there was not much snow. Days like this with close to 90F temps and strong SE wind are hard on blooming canola. I took this shot of my latest wheat field this evening. Its short, not even knee high and about to head out. AC Brandon is a shorter variety anyway but I think it grew taller than this last year. 

Merc Wheat July 10.jpg

We have had 2.50 since the snow left in April nothing measurable in 3 weeks. The ground never froze last year despite snow and cold temps. We got a bunch of snow in the end of November but had warmer temps til then. I think very little of the 3 ft of snow we got ran off. It all melted and went into the ground. Been spraying fungicide on wheat. Think we can still average over 30 bpa on wheat. I don't know what the crop is living on but you dig down there  is moisture in the ground 2 inches down5 miles south of us they had rain a week ago and 5 miles north of us they got a .50 shot of rain a week ago. Thier  wheat looks actually good. But they say we are a little area you go south and west of us into the main wheat area they have a disaster going on maybe 1/3 of a crop if that. 

10 hours ago, dale560 said:

Thier  wheat looks actually good. But they say we are a little area you go south and west of us into the main wheat area they have a disaster going on maybe 1/3 of a crop if that. 

Yes, I hear it gets worse as you go south. We had very little snow melt this spring so all we have is that high water table from the past 7 years of excess rainfall. I took this shot of the Brandon spring wheat yesterday as it heading out pretty nice now. I just noticed the photo size limit has been increased so I'll try one in original size. 

IMG_0117[1].JPG

looks good ralph my durum is really nice looking the heads are a good size but absolutly nothing inside it yet