Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2017 crop pics

we have about 5" of snow here so nothing exciting is happening here anymore myself and other neighbours are burning old wood bins and sloughs perfect weather for that got a good burn not a lot of wood left 

Hard to believe last year we weren't half done combining and combines rolling on nov 11-12 last year and swathing till Decembers  and this year everything is away and resting. Christmas tunes on the radio got old fast in the swather  

Sure been a good fall for catching up on jobs we couldn't do during the past decade of mud. I've filled in a washout or two, burned numerous bulrushes and worked up the sloughs, much like everybody else in the area. Little dusting of snow but hardly worth mentioning. More predicted for the next few days. I don't think the ground is froze much if at all. Too dry to freeze in most spots. Here is a pic of the old Case 730 I was using to blaze a trail through the woods. Shortcut to the junkyard. :-) Its old and small with only a 7 foot blade but still beats using an axe and grubhoe. 

730 woods trail (1 of 1).jpg

We got snow to stay here now. Which is ok lol. Already had the sled out. The ground isn't froze here yet but it's been nice for burning of old log and brush piles we had. I even got a bit of clearing done on one field. Still have more to go but I took a bluff out with the skid steer. Had about 40 big black poplar that were in a bad spot that we always had to go around. Was a big ditch there too but it's all cleared out and I just have to level it out now. Smooth sailing with the sprayer now lol.

db1486 I saw your picture in one of the other posts. Not sure if I'm jealous or happy that it's not here lol. Would like to go for a sled ride though so leaning towards jealous lol. Going to go for a test ride on a new Yamaha sidewinder and see if the 200 hp lives up to all the hype. Not sure I'll bite this year but I'd like to see if it's the direction I want to go for my next sled or not.  15-17,000 dollar price tag has me thinking otherwise lol. 

Nice to be able to make straight lines when you can. You going to saw up any of that poplar or just burn it? Been doing much sawing this summer?

absolutley that beast a axe Ralph nice little trail.  Sure doesn't take long for them poplars to grow up and take over. 

Yes last year was one for the record books that's for sure. Wonder how long it'll be before we see a year like that again. 09 was the same around here but last year was more wide spread I think.  Was guys north west of here combining in the middle of January last year. -35 and the combines were rolling. 

Winder if thisnwill be one of those years where the south gets more snow then the north. Had a light skiff of snow overnight. Just enough to brighten things up a little. 

snowing pretty good here this morning i'm sure the sleds will be out on the weekend, it sounds like it's here to stay I've been tempting to buy a sled for a year or 2 but haven't been able to bring myself together to purchase ones, a lot of the sleds I find are older sleds that barely survived the mountains out west and brought back here patched up and sold for big money 

i'm a polaris guy so I've been looking for an older RMK but not to many to be found 

52 minutes ago, wheatking said:

snowing pretty good here this morning i'm sure the sleds will be out on the weekend, it sounds like it's here to stay I've been tempting to buy a sled for a year or 2 but haven't been able to bring myself together to purchase ones, a lot of the sleds I find are older sleds that barely survived the mountains out west and brought back here patched up and sold for big money 

i'm a polaris guy so I've been looking for an older RMK but not to many to be found 

I really don't like the look of any snow machines built in this millenium :-) Guess I'm just stuck in the past. Its going to have to be pretty ideal snow conditions before I get inspired to resurrect the vintage 1977 Kawasaki Sno Jet packed away in the shed. So far its still trike driving conditions here but supposed to change over the next 48 hours. 

8 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

db1486 I saw your picture in one of the other posts. Not sure if I'm jealous or happy that it's not here lol. Would like to go for a sled ride though so leaning towards jealous lol. Going to go for a test ride on a new Yamaha sidewinder and see if the 200 hp lives up to all the hype. Not sure I'll bite this year but I'd like to see if it's the direction I want to go for my next sled or not.  15-17,000 dollar price tag has me thinking otherwise lol. 

Nice to be able to make straight lines when you can. You going to saw up any of that poplar or just burn it? Been doing much sawing this summer?

absolutley that beast a axe Ralph nice little trail.  Sure doesn't take long for them poplars to grow up and take over. 

Yes last year was one for the record books that's for sure. Wonder how long it'll be before we see a year like that again. 09 was the same around here but last year was more wide spread I think.  Was guys north west of here combining in the middle of January last year. -35 and the combines were rolling. 

Winder if thisnwill be one of those years where the south gets more snow then the north. Had a light skiff of snow overnight. Just enough to brighten things up a little. 

It's snowing pretty good now here and we're under a heavy snowfall warning for tomorrow so might be trying the sled out more on Sunday. Lol. I've been telling everyone it's like a bowl of candy. I cant walk by it constantly and not try it. But it is early yet. Maybe we'll actually have some normal snow so the summit's can work a bit harder then last winter. Maybe I'll find a deal on a good 800 etec too.

As far as the trees, no. I just piled them up at the edge of the field so they're out of the way and we'll burn them some time. It's all black poplar and some were punky already. I still got some bluffs with willows to wipe out now that it's dry. And yes we've been sawing off and on through the summer and fall. Have to fire up full bore here in a few weeks I guess. 

The temptation was to much lol. I was moving my sled around the shed today doing some more organizing so I figured what the heck there looked to be enough snow on the side hill of the neighbors summer fallow to go try it out. Put on almost a half a mile lol. Maybe just over if I'm lucky.

IMG_2766.thumb.JPG.b874aac1759ea1fe64427da27244c848.JPG

Was sunny up till around 1:30 then it started to cloud over. Still no more snow here today though. Maybe tomorrow if we get lucky.

You should take one of the newer sleds for a ride someday Ralph you might change your mind lol.. Suspension and HP sure make it alot of fun. .Those older sleds were alot of fun to ride in their own rite too. You could throw them around and manhandle them so easy. If you did get stuck it wasn't a enormous job to get out.  For a full day's ride it's hard to beat the newer technology though. Can ride 150 miles in a day and after supper be ready to go again lol. Most of them are very reliable too so that helps.

I'm really hoping to go up to Flin Flon this winter with a friend of mine and spend a week or so touring around up there. Hopefully there will be lots of ice this winter like last winter. I'm always nervous riding across lakes and rivers. Especially when there's been no one through ahead of you.

Tried out my new to me tires that I got for the rogator this fall too. Local dealer had a set off of a rogator that he had no use for so he gave me a smoking hot deal on them. 750 dollars for all 4. 24.5x32 tires and rims. Measurements seem to line up so I think they'll bolt right on.IMG_2765.thumb.JPG.002b89793fc35dfc533e772ef2cdadb5.JPG

We've been sawing a little off and on all summer. Mom got her hip replacement done this summer so she was down for a while and couldn't help at the mill. That slowed things up a little.  Got quite a bit left to saw yet but it's getting close to calling it for the season at least that's the way dad was talking the other day.

Putting tin on my grandma's old house and garage right now. No one lives in it now but still want to keep it up. Shingles caught heck a little in the wind the other day. Cold weather to be doing it but at least it will be done.

2 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Tried out my new to me tires that I got for the rogator this fall too. Local dealer had a set off of a rogator that he had no use for so he gave me a smoking hot deal on them. 750 dollars for all 4. 24.5x32 tires and rims.

That's one check of a deal! Weve been looking for wider tires for our pt sprayer, but can't seem to find any. I did find a set of 10 bolt rims that match up but if I recall right the guy wanted $1500 for them. And then we would still need tires yet so were still looking around. Hopefully find something before spring time.

Yes it was to good of deal to pass up. Didn't know for sure at the time if they'd bolt on or not but we were reasonably sure they would. Dealer couldn't remember which rogator model they came off of. Just knew it was a older model. Figured for that price even if they didn't fit I'd be able to make my money back on them again at the auction or kijiji. Tires aren't new by any means but they all hold air. Should help to hold it up in the soft spots anyways. It's so heavy that sprayer I sure don't want to get it stuck. 

16 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

You should take one of the newer sleds for a ride someday Ralph you might change your mind lol.. Suspension and HP sure make it alot of fun. .Those older sleds were alot of fun to ride in their own rite too. You could throw them around and manhandle them so easy. If you did get stuck it wasn't a enormous job to get out.  For a full day's ride it's hard to beat the newer technology though. Can ride 150 miles in a day and after supper be ready to go again lol. Most of them are very reliable too so that helps.

I'm sure the new ones are light years ahead in comfort and performance compared  to the old machines I drove. But the price of them turns me off. For that kind of money I can buy a decent comfortable vehicle (with a heater) to drive. 

We got our first significant snow last night. Could be up to six inches in sheltered areas. Light an fluffy snow but I think any field work is finished for the season. 

GOPR3134.JPG

38 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

I'm sure the new ones are light years ahead in comfort and performance compared  to the old machines I drove. But the price of them turns me off. For that kind of money I can buy a decent comfortable vehicle (with a heater) to drive. 

Ain't that the truth! I love sledding but there's no way I'd spend as much as a new one is worth. One buddy of mine bought a new one last year. $14500 plus tax! I'm looking at the $5-7000 range for a few years old.

Same goes for quads and utv's. A new side by side is worth more than what I want to spend on a good used duramax

Yup no arguments from me over the high prices that's for sure.  Mine was 14,000 when it was new. I bought it with 2200 Kms on it. Was 3 years old. I paid 7,000 for it with the factory cover new track and a Yamaha jacket.  The sad part was the bank got more money then he did. I went wth him to the bank and paid off his loan in person.  Made sure it was free and clear that way.  My quad I bought kind of the same way only it was through a dealer. Lady traded it off with only 26 miles on it. I saved 4,000 on that one compared to the brand new one siting beside it.  I'd have a very hard time paying 20,000 plus for a side by side. Some of the can ams with a bunch of accessories are over 30,000 now. Crazy. 

Just went and ran combine home from last wheat field where we let it set. Old jd fired right up

IMG_1709.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

IMG_1711.JPG

Looks chilly out there lol. 

Took this pic coming across the south Saskatchewan river on my way home from Prince Albert today. Was surprised it's all froze over already. Don't think I'd get far waking on it yet though. Sadly I'm sure there will be one or two more people go through the ice in the next week or two. Always at least a couple people don't make it this time of the year when they're tempting fate on the ice. 

IMG_2770.JPG

WTH is global warming when you need it?????:lol:

Ewe, I still have beans in the field, wet air mass moved in here and beans have been too wet to cut for a weak. I certainly don't like seeing that white crap anywhere right now, lol.

ya I was surprised how much ice there really is but the nights have been touching -20 below. the days aren't bad still -10 but no wind, were actually cleaning grain today how crazy is that cleaning grain and a year ago I was just trying to put it into a swath

environment Canada has +2 for sunday so that should be interesting

13 minutes ago, wheatking said:

ya I was surprised how much ice there really is but the nights have been touching -20 below. the days aren't bad still -10 but no wind, were actually cleaning grain today how crazy is that cleaning grain and a year ago I was just trying to put it into a swath

environment Canada has +2 for sunday so that should be interesting

I hope that's in Celsius!!!!!!! Still sucks.

Yup she's a little chilly out there now. Was out today trying to put tin on the other house that's got a fairly steep pitch. Wind was causing grief so we gave up and worked on the garage instead. Only 8' to fall off the roof there lol.   

Supposed to be downright nasty tomorrow I've heard. Getting colder at night too. Below zero Fahrenheit now they're calling for.