Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2017 crop pics

dale560    0

Baling straw in the same place sprayer and JD combine picture was taken. Just checked have a 1071 bales for the year on baler and about 700 more to go with straw and little bit of hay left. At beginning of year looked like 700 bales total would be what we had. Can't show you picture of tractor it hasn't been washed since it left for baling duty this summer. Checked total bales on baler tonite it showed 23,351 when I quit . Straw was real damp from rain other day and ground was making it wet tonite. Avg about 2 bales an acre on straw.

IMG_1598.JPG

IMG_1599.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

wheatking    0

ya we had a half inch and it dried down sunday Monday and Monday night there was a chance of showers go I took the truck down and take the hopper off of test and I tried again and it was testing 9.1 but I had one heck of a tapping under the floor so I quit and it rained another tenth so I pull the cover off this morning and found a bolt disappeared out of one of the vanes and was bent about hitting the rotor so I got that fixed and waiting for it to dry down again (cloudy cold and windy all day) I would really like to finish so I can put things away and work on other things

I heard canola acres yielded 10% better than they thought in the new AG stats reports so I guess $12 canola is gone

Loadstar    0
8 hours ago, wheatking said:

I heard canola acres yielded 10% better than they thought in the new AG stats reports so I guess $12 canola is gone

I think those stats can figures are a bit optimistic. I'm not giving up on $12 canola just yet. 

We got a good 6 tenths, maybe 3/4 inch yesterday morning that will be great next year and pastures. I've still got a small patch of late seeded wheat in some wet land to cut once it dries up but basically I am calling it done. Just can't clean up and put away the combine til I do that patch. 

Got the oat straw bales hauled home and the cattle let into the oat field so they will be happy now hopefully.

Got rained out here too. Had a little over 6/10" yesterday. Everything's prettt wet in too. It's soaking in quick though.  Got a little over 200 acres of canola left. Would've been done by the weekend if it hadn't rained. I didn't actually mind though.  It'll settle the dust for a while and help freshen things up a bit too. Should make the canola even easier to go through too. No green in ours but the straw was still a little tough at times. 

wheatking    0
11 hours ago, Loadstar said:

I think those stats can figures are a bit optimistic. I'm not giving up on $12 canola just yet. 

you might be onto something I talked to another neighbour today and he heard from a grain buyer it could reach 12 after all the snow around Edmonton and the frost up north and apparently SHTF over on the west and south side of alberta so it may reach it, the grain buyer figured if you put a target for 12 in for may delivery it would hit

poorfarmerlogger have you been hit with any frost lately

2 hours ago, wheatking said:

you might be onto something I talked to another neighbour today and he heard from a grain buyer it could reach 12 after all the snow around Edmonton and the frost up north and apparently SHTF over on the west and south side of alberta so it may reach it, the grain buyer figured if you put a target for 12 in for may delivery it would hit

poorfarmerlogger have you been hit with any frost lately

Yup froze hard here a few nights ago. Was borderline a couple weeks back too. Couple guys swathing green canola here yet. Suspect it'll be downgraded pretty good by the looks of it. Stuff they swathed a couple days ago doesn't look good either. Swaths have a light grey color to  them. Almost white in places. That's what happens when you seed the 19th of june though I guess lol..

Frost and rain was good timing. Should help wash the dust off and set the thistles up for a good killing next week. Was always told to wait till after a hard frost to spray in the fall. Plan is to spray everything once more after the crop is off. Hopefully just a one day affair now. Maybe two with the new sprayer.