Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2017 crop pics

dale560    0
11 hours ago, Loadstar said:

I don't know what pigeon grass is but I spray my oats with MCPa for broadleafs, Good and dry here although the straw did not break up too bad. Think I can bale it. 

Finished wheat and on canola a couple of days now. Better than expected considering the dry year. Rain coming Thursday. I won't be finished. 

IMG_0176[1].JPG

Green and yellow foxtail we all call it pigeon grass. That is one of the hardest things to control in small grains but we are getting it gone now. Small little green and black seeds that look like canola on top of a grassy plant.

green foxtail here is millet.  We have one sandy quarter where it thrives. It'll grow where nothing else will and on zero moisture too. To bad the rest of our crops can't have those genes.  We avoid seeding oats on it usually but have grown them there in the past.  It should've been sprayed twice this year to clean it up again. Dad didn't listen to me though lol. No oats next year I do t think there. 

db1486    0
2 hours ago, dale560 said:

Green and yellow foxtail we all call it pigeon grass. That is one of the hardest things to control in small grains but we are getting it gone now. Small little green and black seeds that look like canola on top of a grassy plant.

I dont know of anything you can can spray on oats for any grassy weeds. But javex will get the Millet. Works really good. Our oat fields are always nice and clean with stellar or frontline for broadcasts, and javex for millet

db1486    0
16 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Still doing oats. Calling for rain so I might get a little break tomorrow. Actually wouldn't mind a lazy day.

Had to change the upper traction drive belt on the massey last night right at dark. Was a 1 hour job. Not my best time but still fairly quick I figured being it was dark out.  Had to change one of the aluminum bars on the rake-up pickup today. Only one I could find in stock was from agco. 700 dollars. That kind of hurt a little. 2188 has been working good otherwise though. No more hydro issues so far. Starting to think I got their screw up fixed.  Once harvest is over then I'll breath easier lol. 

Dad plugged the straw chopper on the Massey tonight, oat straw isn't dry yet on this field  oats tested dry but the straw is still wet  

IMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG

Good to know I wasn't the only one changing a drive belt at night. Lol. Dad blew the main drive belt on the Massey Monday night. Then I found other issues with it, but got rolling late yesterday again. I think we're caught up now. Have to swath the last of the wheat since it's really green. Will wait till after this rain, if we even get anything.

Loadstar    0
7 hours ago, db1486 said:

Good to know I wasn't the only one changing a drive belt at night. Lol. Dad blew the main drive belt on the Massey Monday night. Then I found other issues with it, but got rolling late yesterday again. I think we're caught up now. Have to swath the last of the wheat since it's really green. Will wait till after this rain, if we even get anything.

Rain? I wish it would make up it's mind to rain or not. I got shut down about 6:00 by a rain shower that did not amount to much. After unloading the truck I thought I'd try it again. Canola swaths went through a little noisy but the seed still tested good and dry. Big problem with the straw as I have no chopper on the 1660 and that canola straw was coming out the back like flax straw. I'd have to bale it or pile and burn if I kept going. So did a hopper and quit for the night. I could have finished that field by early next morning but not now. 

Seeing some wind damage on some of the swaths on the high ground but nothing major. Canola is yielding better than expected after almost no rain all summer. Its so dry the moisture tester won't even register that low. 

GOPR3024.JPG

Only took off a couple thousand bushels yesterday. Had a trace of rain in the morning so we went out about 2:30. Grain was still showing dry but the straw was awful tough.  Quit again before to long. Massey wasn't knocking all the oats out either. Had to tighten the concave a little and speed it up some. Helped some but I could still put a wee bit of grain in the hopper of the ih when I combined the straw that he was dropping. 

Forecast doesn't look that great either.  Not calling for much rain but cold overcast days like this don't exactly dry things out either.  If this keeps up we'll have to switch over to canola I think and wait for some heat to finish the cereals. 

IMG_2571.JPG

dale560    0

Finished wheat last night now about a week and a half from soybeans and silage chopping. Dropped 240 acres of wheat straw with 8820 . Combine worked well for no attention it got other than the spring that tightens auger bed was broken. I bent a hook into it and it slipped off the 4th round I made plugging augers and walkers. I cried a little but brother was home and helped clean out augers and change belt. Finished last field and a picture out the windshield of the 8820. This field was 75 acres and it ran well.

IMG_1593.JPG

Looks like lots of heads hanging anyways. Always nice when the equipment makes it through with minimal problems. 

Took this pic right after we got sort of rained out. Had just filled the semi and the combines were both more or less full. Came home with the semi and had to turn the wipers on. Yard was wet on top when we got home. Still powder underneath but the dirt stuck to your shoes anyways. Called it a night and brought the combines back home. Actually took one more cut and filled the ih right full. Went through ok but there was no dust lol. Actually wasn't much for dust all day. Straw is awful tough yet. Grains dry or close to it though. Hopefully finish the last 15 acres of oats tomorrow if the weather cooperates.  Would sure like to get that 50 acres of barley off too. Then all the cereals would be off. If it rained a inch it wouldn't hurt things much for us then.  Would like to be done by this time next week but don't know if we'll make it or not. Brothers want to do another big quad trip like we did last year at the end of sept so I guess I have to hurry up lol. 

IMG_2573.JPG

dale560    0
47 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Looks like lots of heads hanging anyways. Always nice when the equipment makes it through with minimal problems. 

Took this pic right after we got sort of rained out. Had just filled the semi and the combines were both more or less full. Came home with the semi and had to turn the wipers on. Yard was wet on top when we got home. Still powder underneath but the dirt stuck to your shoes anyways. Called it a night and brought the combines back home. Actually took one more cut and filled the ih right full. Went through ok but there was no dust lol. Actually wasn't much for dust all day. Straw is awful tough yet. Grains dry or close to it though. Hopefully finish the last 15 acres of oats tomorrow if the weather cooperates.  Would sure like to get that 50 acres of barley off too. Then all the cereals would be off. If it rained a inch it wouldn't hurt things much for us then.  Would like to be done by this time next week but don't know if we'll make it or not. Brothers want to do another big quad trip like we did last year at the end of sept so I guess I have to hurry up lol. 

IMG_2573.JPG

Nice looking combine and field.

Loadstar    0
46 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Took this pic right after we got sort of rained out. Had just filled the semi and the combines were both more or less full. Came home with the semi and had to turn the wipers on. Yard was wet on top when we got home. Still powder underneath but the dirt stuck to your shoes anyways.

Thats a nice shot with the dark sky and sun. We got about that same amount of rain here but no sun after it hit. Hardly any dust behind my 1660 in the canola swaths after that. I think it would have gone through ok today but my truck driver had to be somewhere else so I found other jobs to do. Only about 100 acres of canola left to do anyway. Not much crop left to do in this area it seems. 

wheatking    0

we had a half inch here over the last 2 days, only 200 acres of canola swaths left, surprisingly muddy for a half inch but it is welcome we were getting so dry here it was dangerous lot of combines goin up in flames and always a threat with a spark lighting something up

the ground should be mellowed out now I'm gonna hook onto the cultivator and see if I can work some ruts from spring harvest out

Thanks guys used to be our best quarter till the wet years. It's got 2 major runs coming into it from adjacent fields that join into one just north from where the combine is sitting. It's washed out the whole half mile the last few years. Used to farm across it like nothing. Debating taking the cat over there now that it's all dry and try to fill it back in. My fear is it'll just all wash away next spring again though. The one crossing I fixed last fall were able to use this fall to get the semi across so that helps. Previous years we were driving the combine back across the field to dump in the truck. 

Im hoping the rain stays away for a little bit longer. Could use some of that nice warm weather we had last week again. Would help speed up harvest in the oats and barley. Rotor is growling pretty hard at times. 

For a combine with almost 5,000 eng hours on it, it's still pretty solid. Would like to pull the rotor and go through everything this winter. We'll see what happens I guess.  Would like to wax it again too. When we got it the paint was getting faded at the top.  It's starting to fade a wee bit now again. Big job doing the whole thing though. 

Still a lot of crop around here. I'd say maybe 1/4 done at best. We're a bit ahead of that but overall in our area I'd say it's around that.  This week is the first week that guys were actually getting going in our neighbourhood. 

wheatking    0

continuous farming is where most of the water runs come from back in the old day working the last we had maybe 1 or 2 now we have quite a few of them I usually spend a day in the spring working them out smoothing them out with the cultivator

I would agree the 2188 looks good I see your missing half of your shield behind the tire

Our runs have been running almost year round so it's been very difficult to try and fix them. This quarter in perticular is real bad. There's actually a well by the old house that's on it on the side of a hill. Fence post marker used to float in the water all the time. It's kind of filled in over the years now but we've left the post there just to keep the well marked.  Never know when those stupid things will cave in. scariest one I saw was a 2' dia. Wooden cribbed well that opened up probably 100' or more down.  Was interesting to see all the old cribbing still intact. 

Theres a few shields missing on that combine. I'm not sure why the previous owner took them off.  Feeder house on the right hand side is missing. The one behind the tire is missing and also the one on the ladder for when you fold the ladder in to the front. Sort of went for a ride one day when I had it folded in. Caught myself right as I was stepping off and managed to work my way back around and onto the tire somehow lol.  There's kind of a p handle that swings around with the ladder and blocks the exit when the ladder is turned back to the front.  Was a good idea and would actually keep you from stepping off into the abyss. 

wheatking    0

ya just yanking ya the first thing I did when I brought my 2388 home was throw all those screen like shields onto the scrap pile I founds them to be in the way when working on and the combine stays cleaner with out them

water runs suck especially when you forget about them in the sprayer. I used to cross them with the air drill till last year I crossed and my air cart has front castor wheels and I snapped a I think it was a 2 1/2 inch spindle and left the wheel behind lucky it didn't hit the manifold under the cart

Lol ya that seems to be pretty common practice on these machines.  Dad was giving a salesmen heck one time cause the back shields were missing on the bevel drives for the straw spreaders. Think I've only seen one or two where those shields survived. Gets to be one awful mess and fire trap in there if you don't clean it out frequently. Like you said there's been a awful lot of fires this fall.  Saw a post on 306 farming the one day where the lanigan area had 6 combine/field fires on the go at one time.  Been watching awful careful as that's one of my biggest fears at harvest time is fire. Was actually tempted to haul a tank of water and lever the pump and everything on the trailer just in case. Have it follow us around from field to field.  Few days back if a fire got going in that wind I don't know how you'd ever get ahead of it to put it out. 

wheatking    0

grandpa had smoke and a small fire in the back of the 1440 with them covers on they got thrown away shortly after.

my tire guy just got done fixing a combine tire and rim that blew on the road only to have that combine go up in flames later that afternoon

Loadstar    0

I was pretty concerned about field fires too but don't think there were any locally. So dry and windy some days that if fire ever started it would be a real challenge to get it under control. We have a water sprayer in both the combine and grain truck. Also a shovel in the truck. I was glad to get done wheat and into canola stubble. Don't think canola stubble would carry a fire. Harvesting flax was always my biggest worry for fire. Came close a few times but got lucky. Smoke coming out the feeder house on the 7721 sure got my attention in a hurry. No flax this year and I won't miss that part of it. 

Fire danger has diminished a wee bit with this cool damp weather we've had lately. Still risky though if a fire did get going you'd have to be awful quick to get it out. 

Finished up the barley tonight. Got up this morning and it didn't look promising but we took a sample and it was around 14 so we took it off. Straw didn't cut up very good but it was dry enough we could put the choppper back on the Massey again. Hopefully don't have to take it off this fall again.  Sure got cool and damp around 6:30-7:00  though. Windows were steaming up inside the combine. Had to go open the heater valves and turn the heater on for a while. Course then I was getting cooked out lol.  Glad to have the cereals all done at least. Forecast doesn't sound great so the more we can get off the better. Hopefully get a good start in the canola on the homenquarter tomorrow. 

IMG_2582.JPG

Loadstar    0

Definitely cool here too. I've needed the heater in the cab the last few nights.  Clouds and no rain but it was just possible to bale some oat straw this morning. In the afternoon I finished up the canola swaths which pretty near wraps up this year's harvest for me. Got a small patch of late wheat I need to swath. 

IMG_0180[1].JPG

wheatking    0

tried canola earlier today it was testing 11.6 and the straw coming out of the chopper that I could bale so hooked on the cultivator and ripped some stubble worked up ok it was getting hard I couldn't seed into very well so now it should be good

will try again later tommorow

Loadstar    0
1 hour ago, wheatking said:

tried canola earlier today it was testing 11.6 and the straw coming out of the chopper that I could bale so hooked on the cultivator and ripped some stubble worked up ok it was getting hard I couldn't seed into very well so now it should be good

will try again later tommorow

You must have got some real rain to add that much moisture. I was combining after a shower Thursday evening and although the straw was thick and unbroken  enough I could have baled it, the canola seed still tested 6%. We have had no more than light showers here this week. Barely enough to make the oat straw damp so I can bale it. Actually had to quit by late morning as the old Holland chain baler would not start a bale in the slippery oat straw. 

I finished up canola last night and put together a bit of video of the harvest. Lost most of the best video due to a camera malfunction

Good to see your all done Ralph. You beat us this year lol. 

We were going on canola today. Got most of the home quarter done this afternoon. I had a couple of oat swaths left from one hollow that was horribly green the other day. Tried to do them this morning. Should've just left em for the deer lol. Plugged the rotor pretty good. Shifted it to low but it wasn't budging.  Had to change concaves for canola anyways so I brought it home and took the back two out and cleaned it out.  Must've still been a wad left around the grates or the top of the rotor. She was still a little grumpy when I tried it. Second go it sucked it through and spat it out the back end though. Was a little concerned about blowing the rotor belt.  

Couple of pics I took this afternoon and evening  

IMG_2585.JPG

IMG_2589.JPG

dale560    0

We got lucky down here and had an 1.70 of rain over the weekend. Sounds like more to come tomorrow. Want to try and bale some more straw tonite before it rains again.

dale560    0

Seeding cover crop on some wheat stubble we are in a program for. Mix of barley , tillage radish and couple other seeds.  Going about 1/2 inch for seed depth or trying to.

IMG_1595.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_1597.JPG